Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: United States of Racism

1. -31
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    See, that's what i dont get....why would it be racist for me to say "Whatsup my Nword" when a group of guys on the corner who happen to be black refer to all their friends as "My Nword" You can't segregate words any more than you can seperate people. Sensitivities be damned, words mean something or they dont...but you cant pick and choose.

Offense is taken, never given. People would do well to remember that.
    If the tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does is still make a noise? That is the argument you make but it doesn't matter because the point is the tree still fell at one point or another. Offensive nature is only an opinion based on populous and history, if an Alien from outer space came down to Earth and you called them the "N" word they more than likely wouldn't understand the undertones of that word at all because they were not the ones enslaved for a large portion of their existence.

But when you bust into the Queen City Lodge and yell out "What'd up my N's".........well bro let me tell ya.......ya get what ya get if you don't understand the difference.

I would just suggest going with "you my nerf herder!!!!!.....Yeah!!!"
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I dont need a lesson in logical fallacies. Thanks though.

I dont know what to tell you if you think calling a black person a monkey usually carries the same connotation as it would towards a white man.

You could always demonstrate that you don’t need lessons in logical fallacies by ceasing to commit them. If calling President Obama a monkey proves someone is a racist then calling President Bush a monkey must also prove someone is a racist. You can’t keep on insisting that your side of the aisle gets to play by a different set of rules, that’s logically fallacious. Blacks are no more closely related to monkeys than whites are, so the word has the same connotation with both races.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    You were not making a prediction based on past elections. You were quoting polls that were blatantly lying.

Darn those liars at Gallup! Lol. You’re such a child, you’re argument amounted to “Obama is going to win because I like him!” So essentially you’re nothing more than a broken clock bragging about being right twice a day, to say I am unimpressed would be quite an understatement.

On the electoral map, Romney got spanked worse than a 4 dollar hooker in Vegas. It wasn't even close.

Here’s where I unfortunately have to explain to you how the electoral college works; it’s a ‘winner takes all’ system, so if Romney had won a handful of more states he’d be President now, the total margin of victory in those swing states was less than a million votes. This election was very similar to Bush vs. Kerry, where the electoral margin was not a good reflection of how close the election really was.

I hope your basement session with your Rush Limbaugh picture and non-scented lotion was satisfying. You were gone 3 weeks...

This joke was pretty lame the first ten times you tried it, unfortunately for you it’s now not only lame but rather unoriginal. I was gone for three weeks because I actually have a job that requires my attention, I realize that the pseudo-science that you practice doesn’t exactly demand a lot of a person’s time or effort, but the real sciences do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Who? Dick Morris?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

You deserve any and all **** you get for being the the guy who posted such haughty drivel as this:
    So... what is the weather like in Oz, now that we've determined who really lives there?

Another broken clock? The computer models based on previous elections all had Romney winning, so unlike you I actually had reasons for my position. I have always thought “trash talking” about sports was ridiculous considering the people doing the trash talking had nothing to do with their team’s victory, but trash talking about elections is a whole new level of absurdity. The only explanation I can think of for it is that you are not right very often, so when the rare occasion does present itself you have to stroke your ego a bit. The only person on here who I’ll give props to is Jack because he actually had reasons for believing Obama would win, so I tip my hat to you Jack, the rest of you all just bumbled blindly onto the correct prediction which doesn’t impress me much. I am sure your moms are proud though :- )

Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    No. It's called 'putting things in perspective'. Go look it up.

Nope, it is special pleading and it’s logically irrational, I am not surprised you’re once again defending irrationality though.

Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Nobody is talking smack. But you wouldn't know and couldn't see that amongst the garbage you toss around. I agree that 3 million out of 300 million is not that much of a margin. But the actual voting population is only 240 million (unless you throw in kids and embryos as well). And if you consider that only 60% of the voter eligible population actually voted then 3 million is becoming a significant number. Maybe if you should have started a grass root campaign in the mothers womb and got all embryo people and the soon-to-be embryos to vote you may have had a chance with your candidate.

3 million people amongst even those who actually voted is still a very small margin, not only this but Romney could have won the election if he had gained as little as 600,000 votes in a few key swing states. Obama got 11 million fewer votes than he did in 2008, if he’s such a great president then how can you explain this huge swing? Even Bush was able to get more votes after being in office for four years, give me a break.

Sorry Statler, but you did not make a prediction based on past elections. You stated an opinion based on no facts or just wishful thinking. But if you did spend any significant amount 'researching past elections' than it was truly a waste of time. And no 'many analysts' agreed with. The Fox News "Expert Analysts" were the only ones who predicted a Romney runaway victory.

I didn’t realize that the University of Colorado was a Fox News Analyst lol. Their model which takes into account past elections and demographics and current economic conditions predicted Romany would win and win easily just as I did. In fact, many Liberal pundits such as Powers were thinking Obama would lose. Like I said, you predicted the right outcome for the wrong reasons and that’s nothing to beat your chest about, Jack is the only one who was right and also actually had reasons for being right.

But your posts are a symbol of you. "poor winner, even poorer loser"

Nope, they’re an example of I’ll give credit when credit is due.

BTW, Earth is still older than 6000 years old. Go look it up.

Look it up? Lol. Does the Earth have a birth certificate on file or something? You crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    To be fair, the inherit racism in calling a black person a monkey is historical, and history has always been a fluid subject to Statler.

You’re absolutely right, Darwin did believe blacks were more closely related to other primates than whites were, but it’s a good thing none of us are Darwinists on here huh?

Can't argue with that. Republicans did such a brilliant job scaring and alienating women that they had to vote for Obama. Appreciate the self-reflection Statler, its a nice change.

Although it apparently didnt last long. Still loving how members from the party of personal responsibility can only blame everyone else.

Republicans have not changed their platform, so they did nothing to alienate women. The left knew that if they actually ran on Obama’s record they’d get killed in November so they had to drum up a fictitious “war on women” in order to scare single women into voting for them. I don’t know about you but I’d rather be the party that told the truth and lost the election than the party that had to lie to win. Obama’s re-election will actually hurt the Democratic Party for years to come though, much like Bush’s re-election in 2004 hurt the Republican Party.

See, that's what i dont get....why would it be racist for me to say "Whatsup my Nword" when a group of guys on the corner who happen to be black refer to all their friends as "My Nword" You can't segregate words any more than you can seperate people. Sensitivities be damned, words mean something or they dont...but you cant pick and choose.

Offense is taken, never given. People would do well to remember that.

Exactly, the Left just needs to play by a different set of rules than they hold the Right to. If you called Bush a monkey you were a patriot but if you call Obama a monkey you’re a racist. If you said Donald Rumsfeld was incompetent you were a patriot, if you say that Susan Rice is incompetent you’re a racist sexist. It’s a not very clever but unfortunately effective way of avoiding the issue and making leaders immune to criticism. What it actually does is cheapen the charges of “Racism” (although nobody on here uses this word correctly but that’s a discussion for a different time) and “Sexism” so that when we are faced with actual racism and sexism it no longer means anything to call those people out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallFin1 View Post
    lol is someone in this thread really trying to defend calling a black person a monkey???? am i reading this right?

No you’re not reading that right. My point is that it’s classless to call the President of the United States a monkey, whether he is black, white, or anything in between.

The degree of offensiveness, to me anyway, is determined by
    A) the "nature" of the joke. Is there actual hate behind it? If so then...
    B) The person the joke is directed at.

I have a few friends that I will say almost anything to and it can be racial, sexist, heritage related, whatever. But theres no hate behind it and we know each other well enough to know where the line is. Whats appropriate to tell my friend is totally different than whats appropriate for someone I dont know as well.

With those tweets I think its pretty clear that there is actually hate behind the "jokes" and so it definitely crosses a line.

How do you determine whether there is hate behind something or not? How do you measure the amount of hate? Can black people hate white people? Can atheists hate Christians? Can women hate men? This all seems rather arbitrary to me.
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    If the tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does is still make a noise? That is the argument you make but it doesn't matter because the point is the tree still fell at one point or another. Offensive nature is only an opinion based on populous and history, if an Alien from outer space came down to Earth and you called them the "N" word they more than likely wouldn't understand the undertones of that word at all because they were not the ones enslaved for a large portion of their existence.

But when you bust into the Queen City Lodge and yell out "What'd up my N's".........well bro let me tell ya.......ya get what ya get if you don't understand the difference.

I would just suggest going with "you my nerf herder!!!!!.....Yeah!!!"
    So are you saying that racial slurs are only inappropriate when used on blacks because of America's history of slavery?
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Come the **** on Statler. Of course anyone can hate anyone. Youre being dense just for the sake of being dense if you dont think that theres any racial significance to calling a black person a monkey as opposed to a white person. Youre the one operating under a fallacy by refusing to use any context.

What you are arguing is basically saying that calling a white and a black person a nigg​er is essentially the same. Its not.

Quote Quote  

5. -35

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    So are you saying that racial slurs are only inappropriate when used on blacks because of America's history of slavery?
    No, hes saying that using racial slurs that were created to degrade black people are inappropriate when, you know, they are used towards black people. Same goes for any race/class/religion/whatever of people.

Holy ****, I cant believe I just had to explain that to someone.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Come the **** on Statler. Of course anyone can hate anyone. Youre being dense just for the sake of being dense if you dont think that theres any racial significance to calling a black person a monkey as opposed to a white person. Youre the one operating under a fallacy by refusing to use any context.

What you are arguing is basically saying that calling a white and a black person a nigg​er is essentially the same. Its not.

I am asking such questions to try and pin you down on your position, that’s all. What’s the name of the fallacy you speak of though? I bet you cannot provide me with it because no such fallacy exists, nice try though.

So how do you know that the people who call Obama a monkey are calling him a monkey for racial reasons rather than just for the same reasons other people called Bush a monkey? You already admitted that intention plays a big role in this, so how do you know their intentions and motives?

No, hes saying that using racial slurs that were created to degrade black people are inappropriate when, you know, they are used towards black people. Same goes for any race/class/religion/whatever of people.

The word “monkey” was solely created for the purpose of being a racial slur? I didn’t know that, so why did people call Bush a monkey if that word can only be used as a racial slur for a black person?

Here’s another question for you, when Juan Williams was called a “Porch Monkey” a couple years ago on television was the person who called him that a racist?
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

I dunno....don't hear about violence when someone calls an Italian a "Stupid Wop".....or when a Indian is referred to as "Haji"......Hell, you can even ask a fat kid to do the "Truffle Shuffle", but when do you get to stop playing a victim card that has long since been played out? Over a word no less?
    Again, i tell you, offense can only be taken, not given.

Dear God......i can't believe in the year 2012, after all the advancements and strife that has been endured, people still cry about racism......when everyone realizes racism...as with most isms'....don't ever die completely. As long as stupid people keep peeing in the gene pool, it's always gonna be with us. But when you can elect a black man 2x to this nations highest office, when you see all the posts they hold at the top levels, when you see all the succesful business leaders......Jesus and Mother Mary......realize that this country offers everyone the opportunity to rise up...it doesn't guarantee your success...it merely guarantess your chance to succeed. Racism......whats the cry going to be when the Latino's become the majority? Can't blame them for slavery......and you can't gerrymander the voting districts to keep them quiet forever...

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    BTW...did anyone notice Niki Minaj(sp?) called Steven Tyler a racist.....for saying the current idol judges would have voted off Bob Dylan?

Let's really talk about racism, if you want to. But let's expose race baiting as well........I haven't seen too many people caller her on her idiot statement.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    BTW...did anyone notice Niki Minaj(sp?) called Steven Tyler a racist.....for saying the current idol judges would have voted off Bob Dylan?

Let's really talk about racism, if you want to. But let's expose race baiting as well........I haven't seen too many people caller her on her idiot statement.
    Exactly, race bating cheapens the whole discussion. David Duke is a racist, Quanell X is a racist, but some moron on Twitter or Facebook who is frustrated about the election and chooses to express it in a classless manner is not necessarily a “racist”.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am asking such questions to try and pin you down on your position, that’s all. What’s the name of the fallacy you speak of though? I bet you cannot provide me with it because no such fallacy exists, nice try though.
    I dont care if it has a name or not. Its irrelevant. Hell, use a different word than fallacy if you like. Ignoring context is silly was my point. You always do this...you love getting the conversation bogged down in arguments about word definitions and semantics that dont really matter.

So how do you know that the people who call Obama a monkey are calling him a monkey for racial reasons rather than just for the same reasons other people called Bush a monkey? You already admitted that intention plays a big role in this, so how do you know their intentions and motives?
    I dont. Maybe some of them dont mean it in a racial way. I dont know them. But Id be willing to bet a lot of them did mean it in a hateful way. For a lot of them its just a slightly more accepted way of calling him a ******. Also, whether they meant it racially or not, its still not appropriate because of the historical weight it carries behind it. If you have a friend who is black and you have the type of relationship where you can playfully call him a monkey and take no offense when he playfully jokes with you, cool. But calling a black person you dont know a monkey could definitely be considered a racial slur. Theres just no place for it.

The word “monkey” was solely created for the purpose of being a racial slur? I didn’t know that, so why did people call Bush a monkey if that word can only be used as a racial slur for a black person?
    Here you go again with the semantics. Of course the word wasnt created to be a racial slur, but it evolved into one at some point in history. I know Im not telling you anything you didnt know. You just enjoy arguing ridiculous things like this for the sake of it. Obviously calling bush a monkey is an insult. Calling a black person a monkey invokes a little more though. White people enslaved black people for years under the assumption that they were not as human as white people. There are still a lot of people today who truly believe that as Ive heard it many times with my own ears. Thats why its different.

Here’s another question for you, when Juan Williams was called a “Porch Monkey” a couple years ago on television was the person who called him that a racist?
    I honestly dont know who that is or what incident youre referring to so...
    Quote Quote