Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Coach Philbin: Use the remaining games for talent evaluation.

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dear Coach Philbin: Use the remaining games for talent evaluation.

Playoffs are out this year; and even if they somehow backed in it would just be another first round loss and would affect their draft position. So, why not see which players on the current roster are worth keeping for next year? Or, could some of them be better playing a different position? Give Martin a few games at LT, since Long is no longer an asset. Try Smith at Safety. Start Matthews for a bit at WR and see what he can do. Yes, this is basically writing off this season, but knowing exactly which holes need to be filled (and in what order of need) seems to be a good step toward building for the future. If, for example, Smith does well at Safety, or Martin is a good LT, then waiting until next training camp to find this out means that you'll fill one hole but create another. Presuming that Long is not on the team next year, wouldn't it be better to know BEFORE the draft that Martin can be the new LT, so now you can look for a RT? Indy sacrificed an entire season to get their new QB (sorry, but there's no way that the Colts were that bad minus Peyton). Just because you're focusing on talent evaluation doesn't mean that you don't try to win.

But, if you still feel that this team can be successful this year and make the post-season, then ignore this thread.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think they know they have zero talent
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    season isn't fully over yet. 7 games left to go and still can make a push. you don't throw away the season after a horrible game. you throw away the tape and start over. I won't give up on the team. If you want to, go ahead. Just don't think all of us will. That's what a true fan does.. Week in, week out, pull for wins, not evaluate talent?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfanNY08 View Post
    season isn't fully over yet. 7 games left to go and still can make a push. you don't throw away the season after a horrible game. you throw away the tape and start over. I won't give up on the team. If you want to, go ahead. Just don't think all of us will. That's what a true fan does.. Week in, week out, pull for wins, not evaluate talent?
    Thank you!!!!! Altough I'd like to see Egnew play and see how he is.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bellingham, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dear Coach Philbin: Use the remaining games for talent evaluation.

You can't do this yet, doesn't make sense. Need 9 losses.
    The way Jeff Ireland took a GM's dream worth of cap space and draft picks and made the team worse in borderline miraculous.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree with the op.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree with the OP too. I mean, being 4-5 is really the least of your problems. You proved to yourself as a football team that you are not good, especially on defense. The loss against Indy cracked the psychic armor and it just shattered today. They were probably overachieving in a huge way and just came back down. It's obvious that the early fumble rattled them and a tip-ball pick six just deep-sixxed their belief in themselves. They have a ton of talent at certain positions, but their weakness just overwhelm their strengths. There are obviously blocks to build upon, but Tannehill now is a question mark on a team that couldn't afford one. We don't know if Tannehill will be a better NFL QB than Matt Moore. We still think he could be a capable NFL starter but being in Luck's league seems unlikely at this point. It's frustrating to think though that we could've gotten a legitimate, No-Doubt NFL stud at another position with that draft pick instead of a maybe QB. I mean, the success rate of first round players being studs is much greater for other positions than QB, am I right on this? (I could be pulling this out of my ass).
    He's a rookie though, and we're seeing QBs struggle in particular weeks all the time. I mean, Flacco's had some duds, and many others have as well. It took years for Drew Brees to be Drew Brees. The thing that caught my attention today were the events strewn about the whole league today. Some teams were getting beat-downs and there's just so much mediocrity. Only six teams in each conference get in and we're seeing the chaffe from the wheat all over the place here in week 10. We know, without a shadow of a doubt now that Miami is not in the latter grouping. We can only hope that some value occurs from the next 7 games as it relates to next season. The scary proposition is that there might not be any value found, especially if the idiot ball-boy is still picking players.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd rather he did a talent evaluation of his coaching staff. Coyle and Sherman have a lot to answer for as the offense and defense is far less creative than it was last year.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Dude, he has been evaluating talent the whole season. Dont you think he is making notes about who needs to be here going forward? You can do all of this AND try to win at the same time. No need for a bunch of ridiculous moves like putting Smith at safety.

I would be in favor of putting Martin at LT though. To do that however you couldnt flat out bench Long. The guy is going to be a FA and it would be considered in poor taste by the players of the entire league to do that to a guy. You would have to say he was "injured". I suggested this in the get real thread. Its not as if we would be hurting our chances of winning by not having Long in there anyway. I think we may see this towards the end of the season if things remain the same.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, my "Smith playing Safety" bit was just an example (I've heard others mention this idea), and I think I read that he used to be a Safety. As for evaluation, why haven't we seen Egnew or Matthews in a game yet; especially Matthews since they need WR help? How bad could he be?

As for Long, if he's injured, then say so. If he isn't, then I'd bench him due to his (lack of) performance this year. Philbin needs to put some fear into these guys, and let them know that they'd better shape up or ship out. Anyone can have a bad game or three, but this team is full of players that are making a career of it.
    Quote Quote