Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ireland and Philbin are birds of a different feather

1. -11
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    marshville, nc
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yeah 2-3 years we can be contenders, im still not writing off season after a loss to a surprisingly good team in the colts, and a loss to a bad team in the titans who maybe we overlooked in prep for buffalo on thursday nite. we need to replace 3 OL, long, cogs, and jerry....they are sparano guys. with the money we save MAYBE we can fill two of those spots in FA, and though not sexy maybe burn a draft pick in second on the third spot. im hoping we squeek into playoffs but realistically we're prolly looking at a 8-8ish season putting us into the 11-15 range. with colts and bears both winning our compensation for marsh and davis wont be overly good, but will still be two more pics in the top 90. i kinda feel bad for saying this, but if we cant get the FA help at oline, i would have no problem if we could draft two starters for oline in our top 5 pics. we have to keep the pressure off of tanne and be able to open up more holes in the running game elsewhise tanne isnt gonna have a chance to show whether or not he's our franchise qb. i think philbin can develop irelands talent it just has to be the kinda talent he needs, this past offseason we saw ireland draft players towards what philbin needs, another offseason who knows. fins up! lets keep heart
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What bothers me is that Ireland went into the draft with needs at WR and DB, yet waited until the end for 2 WRs (one is already gone) and ignored the secondary.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    5 years? Seems a little drastic.
    new LT, 2 WRs that are actual threats to take it to the house every play, 2 Corners (would like them to be able to tackle if possible), and 2 nfl safeties smart enough to step up at some point...

with Ireland drafting and picking up FAs it think 5 years seems pretty fast actually....

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jesus what is wrong with the fans here? 5 years? How ridiculous. San Fran went from 3-13 to one game short of the super bowl! The colts went from 2 wins last year to 6-3 this year and looking like they are headed to the playoffs. Two recent examples of teams making quick turnarounds. It is tiresome to see the same old crap on this board. I have seen a lot of intelligent fans who actually want to talk, sanely, about the dolphins....but this "sky is falling" crap is so old. It gives dolphin fans a bad name! IF Miami signs a top receiver, drafts a corner, gets a TE and solidifies LT they will immediately be much better. Does the team have holes? Of course.....but they are not so far off as many of you think. I am beginning to think that many here like Miami to suck so they can bitch about it.lol
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    New York Phins Phan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by finfromthenorth View Post
    Do you not think Ireland knew what system philbin ran before he was hired. I think he will draft what philbin needs. Not what he used to draft under the old system. 5 years does seem a little long. I am not defending Ireland for previous moves but this years draft with philbin looks not that bad. I think tannehill is the real deal and that is most important.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Is the OP bitching about how Ireland didnt draft for Philbin's zone blocking scheme in 2008 through 2010?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodleman View Post
    Jesus what is wrong with the fans here? 5 years? How ridiculous. San Fran went from 3-13 to one game short of the super bowl! The colts went from 2 wins last year to 6-3 this year and looking like they are headed to the playoffs. Two recent examples of teams making quick turnarounds. It is tiresome to see the same old crap on this board. I have seen a lot of intelligent fans who actually want to talk, sanely, about the dolphins....but this "sky is falling" crap is so old. It gives dolphin fans a bad name! IF Miami signs a top receiver, drafts a corner, gets a TE and solidifies LT they will immediately be much better. Does the team have holes? Of course.....but they are not so far off as many of you think. I am beginning to think that many here like Miami to suck so they can bitch about it.lol
    Not good examples. San Fran had a bunch of talent and they didn't change their base defense. They stayed in the 3-4 but made some slight changes in scheme. They were also in a division where no one else had a winning record last year. They won with defense...a defense that produced 38 turnovers last year.

The Colts laid down last year...no doubt that team quit. This year they got their QB and surrounded him with offensive talent...and already had a probable hall of fame WR on the roster. They drafted 2 WRs and 2 TEs and then added another speedy WR in Donnie Avery who they got cheap. We added Anthony Armstrong, Legadu Naanee and Jabar Gaffney....that's poor NFL scouting...and we added nothing for Tannehill in the draft.

San Fran and the Colts have a different philosophy on how to build a team than we do...their models are working, ours is not. If it takes us 5 years to build a team then we probably won't have the same coach...in all likelihood we'll be building again with a different coach, in a different system, going in a different direction and we'll have to start all over again.

Right now we have a GM who has a very antiquated philosophy on how to build a team. The question is whether Ireland can change philosophy, can he change from scouting and drafting players that are made for "ground and pound" on offense and the 3-4 on defense to an up-tempo offense and a 4-3 defense. That's been my question since Philbin was hired and I still don't know if it's been answered. Right now this team has a lot of square pegs trying to be fit in round holes....on both sides of the ball.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Not good examples. San Fran had a bunch of talent and they didn't change their base defense. They stayed in the 3-4 but made some slight changes in scheme. They were also in a division where no one else had a winning record last year. They won with defense...a defense that produced 38 turnovers last year.

The Colts laid down last year...no doubt that team quit. This year they got their QB and surrounded him with offensive talent...and already had a probable hall of fame WR on the roster. They drafted 2 WRs and 2 TEs and then added another speedy WR in Donnie Avery who they got cheap. We added Anthony Armstrong, Legadu Naanee and Jabar Gaffney....that's poor NFL scouting...and we added nothing for Tannehill in the draft.

San Fran and the Colts have a different philosophy on how to build a team than we do...their models are working, ours is not. If it takes us 5 years to build a team then we probably won't have the same coach...in all likelihood we'll be building again with a different coach, in a different system, going in a different direction and we'll have to start all over again.

Right now we have a GM who has a very antiquated philosophy on how to build a team. The question is whether Ireland can change philosophy, can he change from scouting and drafting players that are made for "ground and pound" on offense and the 3-4 on defense to an up-tempo offense and a 4-3 defense. That's been my question since Philbin was hired and I still don't know if it's been answered. Right now this team has a lot of square pegs trying to be fit in round holes....on both sides of the ball.
    Really? 3-13 is a team filled with talent? I doubt their fans thought that during that season. Regardless I am not comparing Miami to them....they are examples of teams that have made a quick turnaround. Those are 2 teams, there are numerous other examples as well. My point is that the fan base on here likes to wallow in misery. Miami could easily contend for a playoff spot next season. Hell 2 weeks ago many thought they would contend this season.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The players we have now that people are counting on probably don't fit the system they want, which will yes take several years to replace.

Last year we thought Marshall would be around and Vontae wasn't going anywhere. Turns out those guys weren't here for the new regime. Jake Long, Incognito, John Jerry, Sean Smith, Fasano, Bess, Hartline, Reggie Bush, Chris Clemons, Jimmy Wilson,

All of those guys people assume will still be around I guess. Fact is that many of those guys may not be in the long term plans, or by the time all these damn rookies we will have next year learn how to play NFL caliber football the above will be on their way out of the league.

This roster is years away. Drafting Fatest guy available has hindered this team
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Things can change pretty fast in the NFL, for some teams at least. I would feel better if we had less holes to fill. I have no confidence in a GM that has built this roster in his 5+ years, all of a sudden making the right choices. If for some reason he is around after this season, i hope he gets it right, or 5 years may not be enough.
    You got that right...Colts are playoff contenders 10 yrs...win 2 games total...back to playoff contenders.

Total seasons it took to make the U turn? "1"
    Quote Quote