Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the bigger need? whos some of the top prospects at those positions?

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

whats the bigger need? whos some of the top prospects at those positions?

Wide receiver? Corner back? Safety? Pass rusher?

What's the biggest need that you think should be addressed in the first round? I know it all depends on who's there when we pick but I don't watch much college so id like to know who some of the top prospects are at these positions and what people think is the most important positions to address with the first pick.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    I think they're all pretty equal. We had 1 sack today and that came from a CB blitz...we didn't have the speed to contain Locker and every time we got close he took off running. Sean Smith had a bad game against the Colts and he has a delicate psyche...once his confidence is shaken he's useless. We bog down in the red zone cause we don't have an option to throw to...our supposed #1 and #2 WRs have a combined 1 TD on the season and haven't given us any big plays...a lot of nice catches and yards but no big plays.

I think you just go BPA...the lack of talent on both sides of the ball has been exposed the last two weeks. The coaching staff did their best to hide it for a while but now it seems they can't come up with a scheme to hide those weaknesses.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know we need receivers badly, but I'd say pass rusher. Wake's all we have and if he's injured the team's in deep trouble. Having played some in Canada Wake is also older than many fans might realize. The good quarterbacks eat this defense alive, so I say solve that issue first. This draft is loaded with pass rushers so I'd probably double up.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    I think they're all pretty equal. We had 1 sack today and that came from a CB blitz...we didn't have the speed to contain Locker and every time we got close he took off running. Sean Smith had a bad game against the Colts and he has a delicate psyche...once his confidence is shaken he's useless. We bog down in the red zone cause we don't have an option to throw to...our supposed #1 and #2 WRs have a combined 1 TD on the season and haven't given us any big plays...a lot of nice catches and yards but no big plays.

I think you just go BPA...the lack of talent on both sides of the ball has been exposed the last two weeks. The coaching staff did their best to hide it for a while but now it seems they can't come up with a scheme to hide those weaknesses.
    Good point. I think up until the Colts game the secondary was overachieving, but I still don't see a lot of talent there. I think we are realistically two good drafts away. Still a lot of needs.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    Good point. I think up until the Colts game the secondary was overachieving, but I still don't see a lot of talent there. I think we are realistically two good drafts away. Still a lot of needs.
    With 23 free agents on the roster next year I think our 2013 team will look very different. I just hope the players Ireland signs fit the scheme.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Sounds tiring . . . but Best Player Available.

That is the only way your are going to increase the overall talent of your team. If we go pass rusher in round 1 because he is the BPA and there is a pass rusher in round 2 that is the BPA . . . by all means take the best guy. This team needs an infusion of talent all over the place and specific needs aren't going to solve the long term issues that have been plaguing this team.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You can't always go BPA. Look at the Lions, they go BPA first round and they've ended up with Suh and Fairley, who are awesome, but one of the most pathetic secondaries in the league. I don't think Ireland believes in BPA, his MO is more need as well as positional value and getting the most snap counts out of his high picks.

I agree that all 4 positions you listed are the biggest needs, but let's look at how they would fit on the team.

Cornerback. Sean Smith is a Free Agent and Richard Marshall is on IR. Ireland knows he needs true #1 corner after trading away Vontae. Assuming Smith is resigned, they may go with a 3rd round pick here to act as depth right away and groom as a replacement for Marshall, who is only on a 3 year deal. They could also move Marshall to Free Safety, which would mean a 1st or 2nd round selection to start right away. If Smith walks that would also mean a 1st or 2nd rounder would be needed to fill the void.

Safety. Reshad Jones is playing well but Chris Clemons is JAG, who also happens to be a free agent at the end of the year. What's going to happen at safety is very dependent on what happens at Corner, because I don't believe Ireland wants to have 2 rookies starting in the defensive backfield like he did in 2009. If Marshall is moved over to play FS then it's probably a depth pick. If he stays corner it's a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I don't think that there is a 1st round safety prospect in this draft, and even if there was I wouldn't want him unless I had an extra 1st round selection. Safeties are like the running backs of the defense, they take so much abuse the value for the position is really on Day 2 of the Draft.

Pass Rusher. Olivier Vernon is still developing, and as a 3rd round pick I don' think he can be expected to start next year. His platoon mate, Jared Odrick, is miscast as a 4-3 defense end. He's either a 3-4 End or a 4-3 DT Tackle. If Starks walks he'll be shifted to DT, but I think Randy gets resigned. If that happens I expect Odrick will be traded due to not being a scheme fit. However, he could be kept as he is cheap for the last 2 years of his deal (700k for 2013 and 2014)and Tony McDaniel is certainly gone after the year. Either way, it leaves a huge hole at DE and this is the year to fill it. I'd like to see a 1st (if Odrick moves to positions or is traded) or a 2nd here. I don't feel like it's worth it to use a 3rd rounder here considering the circumstances.

Wide Receiver Hartline is a FA who I expect to get resigned, and Bess is reliable but not game changing. I expect Miami to draft 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds. Ireland likes to double down and with the extra picks from the Marshall and Davis trades he has the ammo to do it. I don't see Ireland taking a WR in the first unless it's Keenan Allen while the top corners and defensive ends are already off the board. What do Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb, and Jordy Nelson all have in common? They were all 2nd round selections. I'd expect Miami to mimick this trend by going WR quite possibly in the 2nd/2nd or 2nd/3rd.

I would like to see the following happen, depending on how the off season plays out

1st DE
    2nd WR\Corner
    3rd WR\Safety
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuro View Post
    You can't always go BPA. Look at the Lions, they go BPA first round and they've ended up with Suh and Fairley, who are awesome, but one of the most pathetic secondaries in the league. I don't think Ireland believes in BPA, his MO is more need as well as positional value and getting the most snap counts out of his high picks.

I agree that all 4 positions you listed are the biggest needs, but let's look at how they would fit on the team.

Cornerback. Sean Smith is a Free Agent and Richard Marshall is on IR. Ireland knows he needs true #1 corner after trading away Vontae. Assuming Smith is resigned, they may go with a 3rd round pick here to act as depth right away and groom as a replacement for Marshall, who is only on a 3 year deal. They could also move Marshall to Free Safety, which would mean a 1st or 2nd round selection to start right away. If Smith walks that would also mean a 1st or 2nd rounder would be needed to fill the void.

Safety. Reshad Jones is playing well but Chris Clemons is JAG, who also happens to be a free agent at the end of the year. What's going to happen at safety is very dependent on what happens at Corner, because I don't believe Ireland wants to have 2 rookies starting in the defensive backfield like he did in 2009. If Marshall is moved over to play FS then it's probably a depth pick. If he stays corner it's a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I don't think that there is a 1st round safety prospect in this draft, and even if there was I wouldn't want him unless I had an extra 1st round selection. Safeties are like the running backs of the defense, they take so much abuse the value for the position is really on Day 2 of the Draft.

Pass Rusher. Olivier Vernon is still developing, and as a 3rd round pick I don' think he can be expected to start next year. His platoon mate, Jared Odrick, is miscast as a 4-3 defense end. He's either a 3-4 End or a 4-3 DT Tackle. If Starks walks he'll be shifted to DT, but I think Randy gets resigned. If that happens I expect Odrick will be traded due to not being a scheme fit. However, he could be kept as he is cheap for the last 2 years of his deal (700k for 2013 and 2014)and Tony McDaniel is certainly gone after the year. Either way, it leaves a huge hole at DE and this is the year to fill it. I'd like to see a 1st (if Odrick moves to positions or is traded) or a 2nd here. I don't feel like it's worth it to use a 3rd rounder here considering the circumstances.

Wide Receiver Hartline is a FA who I expect to get resigned, and Bess is reliable but not game changing. I expect Miami to draft 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds. Ireland likes to double down and with the extra picks from the Marshall and Davis trades he has the ammo to do it. I don't see Ireland taking a WR in the first unless it's Keenan Allen while the top corners and defensive ends are already off the board. What do Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb, and Jordy Nelson all have in common? They were all 2nd round selections. I'd expect Miami to mimick this trend by going WR quite possibly in the 2nd/2nd or 2nd/3rd.

I would like to see the following happen, depending on how the off season plays out

1st DE
    2nd WR\Corner
    3rd WR\Safety
    I also expect two wide receivers. I wonder if Miami would roll the dice on someone like Da'Rick Rogers in Round 2, an awesome talent with some character concerns. As for round 1, I'd also like to see a DE or someone who could rush the passer. Picking in the middle of the round it's hard to say who might be there, but maybe a guy like Dion Jordan. He could be that guy you move all around and just send him after the quarterback. I would expect that Banks, Milliner and Werner would be off the board but if one of those guys falls a bit a trade up is a real possibility.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its really a tough call to decide what's a bigger need. We have awhile before the draft but I had to get out of the main forum due to emotional breakdowns flooding it. Had to come to the draft forum for some decent conversation.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Knowing Ireland, BPA is a DT.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Dub FX:
    Step On My Trip (Live)