Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Conservatives, Don't Despair

Hybrid View

  1. -1
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,409
    vCash:
    11272
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Conservatives, Don't Despair

    The mood among American conservatives is now one of apocalyptic despair.

    Having convinced themselves that this election arrayed freedom against tyranny, they now must wonder: Did their country just democratically vote in favor of tyranny?

    On Fox News election night, BIll O'Reilly explained the meaning of the election: the "white establishment" was now outnumbered by minorities. "The demographic are changing. It's not a traditional America anymore." And these untraditional Americans "want stuff. They want things. And who is going to give them things? President Obama. He knows it, and he ran on it."

    O'Reilly's analysis is echoed across the conservative blogosphere. The (non-white) takers now outnumber the (white) makers. They will use their majority to pillage the makers and redistribute to the takers. In the process, they will destroy the sources of the country's wealth and end the American experiment forever.

    You'll hear O'Reilly's view echoed wherever conservatives express themselves.

    Happily, the view is wrong, and in every respect.

    America is not a society divided between "makers" and "takers." Instead, almost all of us proceed through a life cycle where we sometimes make and sometimes take as we pass from schooling to employment to retirement.

    The line between "making" and "taking" is not a racial line. The biggest government program we have, Medicare, benefits a population that is 85% white.

    President Barack Obama was not re-elected by people who want to "take." The president was re-elected by people who want to work -- and who were convinced, rightly or wrongly, that the president's policies were more likely to create work than were the policies advocated by my party...
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/12/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7

    I very well balanced and thoughtful opinion. We conservatives shouldn't despair. We just can't let ignorance cloud our thoughts and judgement.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1216
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    agreed. i posted this in another thread only to have it thrown back at me. in 2004 when kerry lost to bush liberals thought "if we can beat george bush this party is doomed", two years later they had control of the government again (with the exception of the white house). we are experiencing the same thing right now. this isnt a race issue to me, i work with businessses for a living (small businesses) and whether the owners are hispanic, black, indian, etc, these people by and large are conservative individuals. there is a small segmant of our population who feels disinfranchised and will never vote republican, people at the bottom end of the economic spectrum, college know it alls (half of the posters in this forum) and people who just think its cool to vote for obama and give away free stuff to people.

    thats not to say that republicans dont have alot of work to do. their ground game compared to the dems is pathetic, they need to stop getting bogged down in social issues and the people who make outlandish comments need to be shunned from the party.

    i compare this to the dems in 2004, their party became anti war which seemed like they were being anti american. elected officialis calling our troops terrorist didnt sit well with the general population. they changed their tactics and won the next election. the bench for the republicans is far better than the bench for the dems and i look to 2016 to be a big year for them (if they learn their lesson).
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    544
    vCash:
    2941
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the demographics are changing, and it is shrinking the margin of error for a Republican to win a presidential election. That being said, all it takes is 1 really good candidate, and you have the White House for 8 years. Republicans need to get back to the center and stop pandering to the Christian base. They need to calm down on the social issues, and refocus on the fiscal issues. The more they talk about abortion, gay marriage, rape, affirmative action, & illegal immigration the more they turn off the undecided voter.

    The biggest problem with the Republicans, in regards to Presidential elections, is their primaries. Your best candidates no longer win them. They also force moderate candidates (McCain & Romney) to flip flop on every issue towards the right, which leaves them vulnerable in the general election.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,870
    vCash:
    5460
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/12/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7

    I very well balanced and thoughtful opinion. We conservatives shouldn't despair. We just can't let ignorance cloud our thoughts and judgement.
    Great article. Thanks for sharing Lou...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1297
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great article, unfortunately for the GOP I think this guy is the minority voice of reason
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,409
    vCash:
    11272
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think another big reason Obama won was because if you've an independent voter and you've got an incumbant that no one wants to vote for and a challenger that no one wants to vote for, then voters will almost always vote for the incumbant. That's just human nature.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1297
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I think another big reason Obama won was because if you've an independent voter and you've got an incumbant that no one wants to vote for and a challenger that no one wants to vote for, then voters will almost always vote for the incumbant. That's just human nature.
    I am an independent voter.

    I actually have grown to like Obama a lot more than I thought I would (McCain voter in 2008). Partly due to my economic views shifting from a Chicago-style view to a more balanced, nuanced view that recognizes that monetary policy is crucial during economic downturns but also partly because the Republican party seems to be shifting to the right socially for some reason. I don't know if I can bring myself to vote Republican as long as they keep pandering to the anti-intellectual forces within their party. I love Obama's foreign policy and I, along with many Americans, took issue with the GOP trying to unfairly capitalize on the Benghazi tragedy, facts-be-damned.

    As for people just voting for the incumbent, surely that was part of it as well. People always prefer the devil they know to what was an especially big question mark with Mitt Romney and his ever-evolving "plans."

    On a side note it looks like our teams might be facing off in the Orange Bowl.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,409
    vCash:
    11272
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    I am an independent voter.

    I actually have grown to like Obama a lot more than I thought I would (McCain voter in 2008). Partly due to my economic views shifting from a Chicago-style view to a more balanced, nuanced view that recognizes that monetary policy is crucial during economic downturns but also partly because the Republican party seems to be shifting to the right socially for some reason. I don't know if I can bring myself to vote Republican as long as they keep pandering to the anti-intellectual forces within their party. I love Obama's foreign policy and I, along with many Americans, took issue with the GOP trying to unfairly capitalize on the Benghazi tragedy, facts-be-damned.

    As for people just voting for the incumbent, surely that was part of it as well. People always prefer the devil they know to what was an especially big question mark with Mitt Romney and his ever-evolving "plans."

    On a side note it looks like our teams might be facing off in the Orange Bowl.
    I'm assuming you're an FSU fan. You guys will face either us, Rutgers, or on an outside chance, Cincinnati. If we win out the last 2 games (11/24 UConn and 11/29 @ Rutgers) then you'll be facing us. If Rutgers wins out then it will be them. If Rutgers loses to Cincinnati and beats us in the last game of the year then it will be a 3 way tie for BE champ (again) and at that point Cincy would probably have the higher BCS ranking so they would go to the BCS bowl.

    There's also the outside chance that if it is us then one of the other BCS bowls would pick us first, but that chance has slowly faded over the past few weeks. We'll bring 35K plus fans to the Orange Bowl.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1297
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I'm assuming you're an FSU fan. You guys will face either us, Rutgers, or on an outside chance, Cincinnati. If we win out the last 2 games (11/24 UConn and 11/29 @ Rutgers) then you'll be facing us. If Rutgers wins out then it will be them. If Rutgers loses to Cincinnati and beats us in the last game of the year then it will be a 3 way tie for BE champ (again) and at that point Cincy would probably have the higher BCS ranking so they would go to the BCS bowl.

    There's also the outside chance that if it is us then one of the other BCS bowls would pick us first, but that chance has slowly faded over the past few weeks. We'll bring 35K plus fans to the Orange Bowl.
    I don't think any of those three is getting chosen over an At Large SEC team or Notre Dame. I'll be shocked if FSU doesn't win the ACC but then again you just never f&^%ing know with the Seminoles.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,409
    vCash:
    11272
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    I don't think any of those three is getting chosen over an At Large SEC team or Notre Dame. I'll be shocked if FSU doesn't win the ACC but then again you just never f&^%ing know with the Seminoles.
    Actually a few weeks ago there was talk going around that if we finished the season undefeated and Kansas State finished undefeated but didn't make the BCS title game then the Sugar Bowl was going to take both of us. They pick before the Orange but all of that talk is dead now.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Ann Coulter In Despair Over Obama Win
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
  2. scouts take= fins in despair
    By GRT8 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 12:37 AM
  3. WILL THE conservatives go to war against the neocons
    By adamprez2003 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 12:00 PM
  4. Despair and Hope
    By Maynard the Hammer in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2006, 02:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •