Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing a pet made me realise something....

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Losing a pet made me realise something....

Im 21 and yesterday my pet cat got put to sleep, I got him for my fifth birthday so he was a very old cat who lived a long life and it was only old age that got him in end. I knew this was coming sooner or later but it really has shocked me how hard this has hit me, it may not be very manly to admit this but I said and cried my eyes out last night- and im not the teary type. That cat was twice as old as my little brother and I literally cant remember life without him. I only realized when he was gone that he was very much part of the family and wasn't just a pet. Some may think it was only a cat and that im exaggerating but I really do mean this. Im still utterly gutted about it He was a special cat and we gave him a good life but my god it was hard to make the decision to end his life even though I know it was for the best, I can only imagine how hard it would be to be faced with a decision like that about a family member.

But this thread wasn't created so I could have a pity party. I was wondering if any of you guys had/have any special pets you would like to tell us about? And do you consider then part of the family? I wish I had realised before now!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's tough putting a pet down or watching them die. They become part of the family, my Rottie passed on his own a few years back and he was 12, pretty old for a big dog (165lbs). I was depressed for weeks because that dog was with me through my wedding, my son's birth, my divorce about 100 girlfriends after the divorce and he was always happy to see me no matter what. He lived out his final years at my parents at the lake where he had much free roam of things, so one day I got the call saying he wasn't good, I waited to long before I left work and he died minutes before I got to him but even then he died next to the bed I sleep in at my parents near some extra shirts I leave there in case I need them.

Even after he died he was around 130 pounds, I had to wrap him in a bed sheet and take him to be get cremated. I was dealing with a break up at the time as well so I called off work for a long weekend and didn't do anything by lay in bed. I could deal with the breakup but Bourbon dying just sent me into a depression, that dog was with me through so much of my life and so many huge events in my life.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Sorry to hear that bro. My cat will be 15 years old in a few more months. I know the day is coming and can see his body wearing down. I dread the day that I know is coming. That cat has been with me through thick and thin over the last 14 years.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My cat of 16 years died last year. Was a pretty rough thing to go through. The new cat I adopted from the shelter might be Satan-incarnate though...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Resident Montana Griz pimp for Miami :)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Great Falls, MT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pets are part of the family and don't let anyone ever tell you different, when I was very young I was attending pre-school in a catholic building with nuns, as my mom was walking me in, I saw this brown tabby kitten in the hallway and pointed to him and told my mom he was lost and needed a home, my mom said "if he's still here when you get out of school we can take him home" (let this be a lesson to any parents out there about making promises you don't really want to keep lol) and after school was over, there he was in the hallway and I called out my mom's promise (she swears to this day the nuns kept him in the building to set us up) lol.

Once we got home (with kitty) we placed an ad for a lost kitten, and no one called, so as my mom was about to call to place an ad for a free kitten I looked at her and said
    Me: "Do you want to know his name?"
    Mom: "No he doesn't have a name"
    Me: "His name is brother, because I don't have a brother, are you going to give away my brother"
    Mom:............"No we're keeping your brother"

Of course my dad said that she wouldn't be able to do it, and when he got home that night he asked if my mom got rid of the cat and she said "No" and he said "I knew it, I knew it" to which my mom replied "He named him Brother, you go tell him you're going to give away his brother" to which dad replied "Fine we'll keep the damn cat"

And Brother (Bo for short) lived with us through Air force travels to Italy, Greece, and back home to the states, for over 18 years of a great life, I'll never forget my brother even though he's passed and i now have 2 other cats that are just as much of family as Bo was, so family is family, even with 4 legs and fur.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Such sad stories. We got our first dog when I was 4 and he lived until I was 18. Survived getting hit by a car when I was 7. Had him through all my pre-college school years. He was clearly deteriorating in that last year before we had to have him put down, but once he was gone, I couldn't even look at pictures of him without losing it and I'm not really the emotional type at all.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Bleeding 305 since 1987

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Sorry for your loss..I made a similar thread 3 months back. I lost my dog to a heart attack and I cried hard. To this day, I still look at his pictures and I break down. He wasn't only a pet, he was part of my family and I loved and will always love him. The pain does get better as time goes by but that hole in your heart will never go away. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We have a dog that is really sick right now and the idea of putting her down is a real bummer, but I have to face it as possible. Pets for my family are part of the clan. To lose one is much like losing a brother.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

Losing a pet made me realise something....

We put down our Cocker at the age of 16 due to cancer. He lost his hearing and his vision was going. We still miss him and it has been 4 years. We had him cremated and we have his urn in the family room. Pets are very much a part of our family just as humans are a part of theirs.

We have a retriever mix who is starting to age and a MinPin that is 5 yet acts like she is a puppy. Dogs will always be a part of our household.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Im 21 and yesterday my pet cat got put to sleep, I got him for my fifth birthday so he was a very old cat who lived a long life and it was only old age that got him in end. I knew this was coming sooner or later but it really has shocked me how hard this has hit me, it may not be very manly to admit this but I said and cried my eyes out last night- and im not the teary type. That cat was twice as old as my little brother and I literally cant remember life without him. I only realized when he was gone that he was very much part of the family and wasn't just a pet. Some may think it was only a cat and that im exaggerating but I really do mean this. Im still utterly gutted about it He was a special cat and we gave him a good life but my god it was hard to make the decision to end his life even though I know it was for the best, I can only imagine how hard it would be to be faced with a decision like that about a family member.

But this thread wasn't created so I could have a pity party. I was wondering if any of you guys had/have any special pets you would like to tell us about? And do you consider then part of the family? I wish I had realised before now!
    Nothing wrong with crying at all let alone over a pet. We had a thread about this sort of thing a few months back too and we all agreed that pets are fantastic to own and when they pass away, it's rough. They bring you joy and love so what isn't to like you know?

Do the right thing and adopt another cat that needs a good home. You aren't replacing your original cat, you're just giving another animal a home he/she deserves.

Quote Quote