Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phins Fits, Misfits, and Playing Tag

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17

Phins Fits, Misfits, and Playing Tag

When Philbin was hired, there was a lot of speculation on who would fit in to his system, and would not. After nine games, I think we can sort this out.

Fits- Pouncey, Jerry, Martin, Bess, Hartline, Tannehill, Miller.

Misfits- Cog, Long,

Combo's- Bush shoulda been a VG fit but, has not been. DT is questionable. Fasano is both, as making an overall impact but, not being what he was in yardage before. Moore showed some good things but, I think we will go to Devlin as a backup.

Tag- We can franchise one player. IF we choose to not want to keep long, we can tag him for around $14M and look for a trade (High stakes poker), IF it's Smith, this year's tag was $10.6M, and hope for a trade. Bush would be $7.7 (based on this year) and not an option.

On D, Odrick is out of position but, was not that good as a 3-4 DE. He has looked average overall but, could be better in replacing Starks, and playing between Wake and Soliai.

What would you do?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We need to resign Starks. It will be expensive but we can't let the only DT we have who can get to the QB leave. Odrick I don't think will ever be as good as Starks and would be great in rotation.

We need to resign Hartline. With his production going down after teams have game planned to him we will be able to sign him to a much more cap friendly deal. If we can get a #1 via the draft or FA our WR corps would look pretty good with Hartline as a #2, Bess as a #3 and either another pickup or Mathews as the #4. I'm really hoping that after a full season and another training Mathews can step up.

Depending on the contract I would prefer the team to resign Smith. However if he is looking at $10mil per year it may be tough to swallow. I could definitely see the FO rent him for a year with the franchise tag before making their final long term decision.

Long, I'm sorry to say it but your time as a Dolphin is probably over. Some team out there will be willing to overpay for him and with him not fitting into the West Coast scheme I think he will definitely be a casualty. As his replacement I would move Martin back to his normal left side and look for his replacement at RT in either the 3rd or 4th round. I would then draft a G in a mid round as well.

Bush, I don't think will be resigned either. After his injury in the Jets game he has reverted to his old east and west self. We will see over the rest of the season if Thomas and Miller can pick up the slack and if they do I think the writing will be on the wall.

I think Cogs will be retained. Maybe this is wishful thinking but I'm hoping we adress the LG via the draft and can move him back to the right side.

I really don't see us being big players via FA so I'm hoping the draft goes something like this.

Rounds 1-3: BPA either DE, WR, CB, FS or T. Go with the draft board and pick the best player possible. We have enough holes to fill on both sides of the ball that players to fill each should be available.

Rounds 4-5: T, G and LB: We gotta get better depth at the positions (possibly find a steal on a linemen who can contribute right away).

Rounds 6-7: BPA, gotta find at least one acorn or players who can contribute on ST's.
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by mnphinfan View Post
    We need to resign Starks. It will be expensive but we can't let the only DT we have who can get to the QB leave. Odrick I don't think will ever be as good as Starks and would be great in rotation.

We need to resign Hartline. With his production going down after teams have game planned to him we will be able to sign him to a much more cap friendly deal. If we can get a #1 via the draft or FA our WR corps would look pretty good with Hartline as a #2, Bess as a #3 and either another pickup or Mathews as the #4. I'm really hoping that after a full season and another training Mathews can step up.

Depending on the contract I would prefer the team to resign Smith. However if he is looking at $10mil per year it may be tough to swallow. I could definitely see the FO rent him for a year with the franchise tag before making their final long term decision.

Long, I'm sorry to say it but your time as a Dolphin is probably over. Some team out there will be willing to overpay for him and with him not fitting into the West Coast scheme I think he will definitely be a casualty. As his replacement I would move Martin back to his normal left side and look for his replacement at RT in either the 3rd or 4th round. I would then draft a G in a mid round as well.

Bush, I don't think will be resigned either. After his injury in the Jets game he has reverted to his old east and west self. We will see over the rest of the season if Thomas and Miller can pick up the slack and if they do I think the writing will be on the wall.

I think Cogs will be retained. Maybe this is wishful thinking but I'm hoping we adress the LG via the draft and can move him back to the right side.

I really don't see us being big players via FA so I'm hoping the draft goes something like this.

Rounds 1-3: BPA either DE, WR, CB, FS or T. Go with the draft board and pick the best player possible. We have enough holes to fill on both sides of the ball that players to fill each should be available.

Rounds 4-5: T, G and LB: We gotta get better depth at the positions (possibly find a steal on a linemen who can contribute right away).

Rounds 6-7: BPA, gotta find at least one acorn or players who can contribute on ST's.
    Very nice run down. I mostly agree, other than Cog (misfit in zone blocking), and a big question on re-signing Starks, based on money not his play.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cogs goes, if Smith takes a decent contract resign him, Hartline you resign. Long I feel we resign as long as he doesn't think he's worth Joe Thomas money. He isn't a terrible LT and they get paid in this league. He has had an off year granted but he still is very good. Bush if we get him back at a workman like contract say 3-4 mil a year you bring him back. I think most of this should be done before FA starts. Don't let them see other offers. Bush to me is the biggest one to really look at, if the coaches can get him to accept what he was doing at the beginning of the year and take wwhat is given then resign him. As soon as he had success break some runs outside he revert back to everything outside, can't seem to get in his head that the inside running was allowing the odd outside run to happen. Great talent just has to listen.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadi-Phin View Post
    Cogs goes, if Smith takes a decent contract resign him, Hartline you resign. Long I feel we resign as long as he doesn't think he's worth Joe Thomas money. He isn't a terrible LT and they get paid in this league. He has had an off year granted but he still is very good. Bush if we get him back at a workman like contract say 3-4 mil a year you bring him back. I think most of this should be done before FA starts. Don't let them see other offers. Bush to me is the biggest one to really look at, if the coaches can get him to accept what he was doing at the beginning of the year and take wwhat is given then resign him. As soon as he had success break some runs outside he revert back to everything outside, can't seem to get in his head that the inside running was allowing the odd outside run to happen. Great talent just has to listen.
    For me, Long is not a good fit in this scheme, regardless of money.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    For me, Long is not a good fit in this scheme, regardless of money.
    His run blocking really hasn't gone down which is the true scheme change. Pass Pro is Pass Pro which is where he has struggled. I feel he is an above averge LT even this year with some bad games this year. But to create another hole seems foolish. Average LTs get paid in this league no point in changing a feature position to a rookie or Martin and create once again a hole at RT and be unsure how Martin plays on the Left side.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadi-Phin View Post
    His run blocking really hasn't gone down which is the true scheme change. Pass Pro is Pass Pro which is where he has struggled. I feel he is an above averge LT even this year with some bad games this year. But to create another hole seems foolish. Average LTs get paid in this league no point in changing a feature position to a rookie or Martin and create once again a hole at RT and be unsure how Martin plays on the Left side.
    The hole is created by the change in systems. If you paid him $5M or $50M a year, it does not make him fit. JMO
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great thread. A little off subject, but I think the play of the tight ends has been one of the most disappointing aspects of this season. Clay had that one nice 31-yard touchdown pass from Tannehill, but has been basically invisible. Fasano is solid, but obviously not someone teams have to game plan for. Egnew who knows? In Green Bay, Philibin had a ton of talent at the tight end position and there are no real fits here. I would like to see the team keep Bush, but at the right price. He is still the only big-play guy Miami has on offense. I'm 50/50 on Long. I know it is a down year for him, but I don't necessarily think he doesn't fit the scheme. Tough call there.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    Great thread. A little off subject, but I think the play of the tight ends has been one of the most disappointing aspects of this season. Clay had that one nice 31-yard touchdown pass from Tannehill, but has been basically invisible. Fasano is solid, but obviously not someone teams have to game plan for. Egnew who knows? In Green Bay, Philibin had a ton of talent at the tight end position and there are no real fits here. I would like to see the team keep Bush, but at the right price. He is still the only big-play guy Miami has on offense. I'm 50/50 on Long. I know it is a down year for him, but I don't necessarily think he doesn't fit the scheme. Tough call there.
    If you can watch the Buff game, try to pay attention to Long and Cog.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    The hole is created by the change in systems. If you paid him $5M or $50M a year, it does not make him fit. JMO
    The thing is his run blocking,which the scheme truly effects, hasn't dropped off. I think having Cogs next to him who is a terrible fit has to be upgraded. His pass pro has struggled this year but he still not terrible. Look at what Philly, Arizona are going through. thinking they upgraded and didn't. Thats what I worry about. We have a good LT who doesn't suck every single play.
    Quote Quote