Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just had a thought for the Ol'timers

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    After 82, the problem became more personnel related. Larry Gordon died in the 82 offseason. AJ Duhe tore up his knee in the 83 playoff game (coincidentally or not, the defense lost the lead late). In 84, Baumhower's back was toast and he was a shell of his former self. Shipp and Brophy drafted 1, 2 in 84 to replace Duhe/Gordon. The 85 trade for Hugh Green who tore up his knee early in the 86 season (I think the infamous 51-45 jet game). Some bad luck and then drafting for need instead of talent made it worse.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To me it has always been sort of a little "dirty family secret" in Dolphin history that for all Shula's greatness as a coach, he had his BEST seasons when a personnel guru was doing the drafting, and his worst when he picked the players himself. Joe Thomas and Bobby Beathard are almost forgotten today but they were instrumental in building Shula's greatest teams.

Player attrition played a role too. It wasn't just the wfl, but injuries made the bottom fall out of this team in '74-'76. That period basically saw Buoniconti, Scott, Anderson, virtually ALL of that defense hit a career brick wall all at once. Vern Den Herder was about the only No-Name to survive into the '80s. The defense only partially came back to life with Duhe and Baumhower in the late 70's.
    Ryan Tannehill. Ah, what a relief. Life is good.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How many realize that Arnsparger was the Defensive coordinator for the Chargers in 1995 when they knocked Miami out of the playoffs and went on the Super Bowl on the strength of their defense? That was Miami's last great chance at reaching the SB. Had Shula re-hired Arnsparger when he left LSU and gotten rid of Olivadotti Miami would very likely have been to another SB or two in the 90s.
    Bob Kuechenberg had the bone marrow drilled out of his left arm and a quarter-inch, steel-alloy rod pounded into it so he could play in the '73 team's Super Bowl victory. The arm had been broken on the opening kickoff of a December game in Baltimore.

"My attitude was pure and simple: I'm going to play today," Kuechenberg said. "That was it. Tape me. Shoot me up, Doc. Whatever it takes."

Still Perfect: Dave Hyde
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marino420TD View Post
    After 82, the problem became more personnel related. Larry Gordon died in the 82 offseason. AJ Duhe tore up his knee in the 83 playoff game (coincidentally or not, the defense lost the lead late). In 84, Baumhower's back was toast and he was a shell of his former self. Shipp and Brophy drafted 1, 2 in 84 to replace Duhe/Gordon. The 85 trade for Hugh Green who tore up his knee early in the 86 season (I think the infamous 51-45 jet game). Some bad luck and then drafting for need instead of talent made it worse.
    Very good post. Duhe and Baumhower were good picks for 1977, particularly since they were character guys after we'd had rough years in that area. But by the early to mid '80s the NFC powers had stockpiled bigger, tougher, more explosive talent on defense. Hall of Fame or nearby guys, if you look at the 49ers, Bears and Giants. We couldn't threaten to match their talent level. Bill Walsh spent the lead up to the Super Bowl basically restraining laughter at how slow we were on defense.

When we became a pantyhose passing team in an era when that wasn't necessary or ideal, it stamped up as little more than a cupcake team, easily crushed. I don't think defensive coaching staff had much to do with it. Cupcakes look pretty on the outside but upon further examination they are little more than white flour masked by frosting and sprinkles. That was the Marino era Dolphins.

Other than the two we have, the Dolphins were good enough to win the Super Bowl in 1974 and 1982. Bad matchup in 1982, against a determined veteran quarterback averaging more than 8 yards per attempt. The 1974 team had a considerably more difficult time advancing to the Super Bowl than winning it. Obviously that Raiders game was the most crushing outcome in franchise history. I'm not convinced injured Miami with all the lame duck players could have defeated young confident Pittsburgh in the 1974 AFC Championship Game, but it would have been in the Orange Bowl, where we had won 31 straight.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Average Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Well, if Larry Z, Paul Warfield and Jim Kick hadn't left when they did, we probably would have won a couple of more superbowls in the 70's. But it is what it is and it's been 39 years since we won one. That's why nobody can't blame the fans for being upset with our team.That's why I laugh everytime I hear that it takes time. It's been 39 years and counting.

Ozzy rules!!
    If I remember correctly it was the starting of the World football league that screwed us...we lost a lot of our best players to them.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    East Petersburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What a great thread. Another thing that a lot of people don't remember: In the 1982 season Super Bowl vs the Redskins, we are constantly bombarded with that highlight of John Riggins running through Don McNeal's tackle and sealing the game. What really killed us happened before that:
    Leading 17-13 late in the third, the Redskins had the ball deep in their own territory. Theismann threw a pass that got tipped in the air and was about to come down into Kim Bokamper's(I believe) waiting arms at the goal line. He would have intercepted it, taken one step into the end zone, and the Dolphins would have led 24-13. The Redskins would then have been forced to become one dimensional, lots of passing, and less Riggins. But instead of the pick-6, Theismann made a phenomenal play and got to Bokamper and stripped the tipped pass from him, thus preventing the TD. The game was made and changed on that one play. It is my singular most sickening play in my time as a Dolphins fan since 1975, followed closely by the 2002 pass interference call against Jamar Fletcher vs. the Patriots in the season finale, a game we were winning(coincidentally, 24-13) with 4:59 to play. We lost and missed the playoffs. That was Ricky Williams first year here, and our defense rocked. That year Tampa Bay beat Oakland in the Super Bowl. I really would like to have been able to get into the playoffs that year cuz I think we could have made some serious noise.
    The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more.
    -A fortune cookie
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Chuck Studley and Jay Brophy ruined our chances at winning that super bowl.

Joe Robbie deserves some of the blame the way that the team fell apart in the 70"s..he refused to pay Csonka, Kiick, and Warfield more money...so they bolted to the WFL. If he would have met them halfway, NFL history would have been much different 1974-1977 IMHO.

In the early 80's, we had one of the NFL's great defenses under Arnsparger. By 1985, the loss of talent, injuries to Baumhower, Betters and others, and the addition of Studley just turned the defense into vanilla puddling for the 1985 SB.
    Quote Quote