Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romney Cancels Staff's Credit Cards Immediately Following Defeat

1. -1
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks

Romney Cancels Staff's Credit Cards Immediately Following Defeat

From the moment Mitt Romney stepped off stage Tuesday night, having just delivered a brief concession speech he wrote only that evening, the massive infrastructure surrounding his campaign quickly began to disassemble itself.

Aides taking cabs home late that night got rude awakenings when they found the credit cards linked to the campaign no longer worked.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2099916.html

Classy Mitt. Does anyone still wonder why the majority of the American people didn't trust this guy...?

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    DRAGONBORN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hallandale, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why didn't the aides take their own cars home?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Locke I think we need to get some prospective on this. What is the standard procedure when a campaign loses? For all we know this could be normal. Maybe there are certain campaign finance laws that apply?
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Locke I think we need to get some prospective on this. What is the standard procedure when a campaign loses? For all we know this could be normal. Maybe there are certain campaign finance laws that apply?
    No idea what normal procedure is, but campaigns continue on for weeks or months after a defeat. Paperwork to be done, meetings to be had, phone calls to make. Hell, Romney was making calls today blaming Obama for giving out "gifts" to minorities and suggesting that was the sole reason he lost.

Many of those aides stayed late to help finish up some work, even after a bitter loss. To cut off there credit cards before they could even get to their hotel is just petty.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Another question for my own curiosity:

What happens to all of that left over campaign finance money? I guess I've never really thought about that before.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2099916.html

Classy Mitt. Does anyone still wonder why the majority of the American people didn't trust this guy...?
    why do campaign donations have to be used for taxi rides? Most companies and organizations don't pay for transportations. There are a million things about Romney to show why people distrust him, and you chose to post this?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    Why didn't the aides take their own cars home?
    Maybe some of them came from out of town and didn't have their cars.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    why do campaign donations have to be used for taxi rides? Most companies and organizations don't pay for transportations. There are a million things about Romney to show why people distrust him, and you chose to post this?
    The staff had been using them for this exact purpose for the entire campaign. Cancelling them and leaving your staff, who you just got done thanking for all their hard work, stranded is beyond classless. At least let the people who are already probably feeling a little depressed get home safely. It speaks to Romney's character...

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

What happens to all of that left over campaign finance money? I guess I've never really thought about that before.
    I would assume they go to the RNC and are used for future campaigns. But that's a guess on my end...
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

I was completely stumped by this one...and i knew someone that worked on a campaign before. Man i fail. Anyways, decided to look it up and first link that popped up was Factcheck. I know some dont like those sites, but i tend to believe them more than other sites. As well, the answer makes sense:
    As Bob Biersack from the Federal Election Commission points out, most candidates don’t have much left over to begin with. Campaigning is expensive, and “leftover” money gets used for bills and debts first, including expenses incurred while winding down an abandoned campaign or a lost political office.

Candidates do sometimes end up with surplus funds, though, particularly if they’re incumbent members of Congress who decide not to run for another term. State and local governments have their own rules, but those running for federal office — including presidential candidates — must abide by strict FEC guidelines when it comes to their extra campaign money. They can donate an unlimited amount to a charity or political party. They can also, within limits, make contributions directly to other candidates. A campaign committee can give up to $2000 per election to each candidate. If the committee is converted into a political action committee, the limit jumps to $5000 – but to be established as a PAC, the committee would have to be in existence for six months, receive contributions from 50 donors, and make contributions to five recipients.

What candidates can’t do with leftover money is use it for personal expenses. Retiring federal lawmakers used to be able to pocket extra cash and use it for cars, vacations, clothes, pet grooming, whatever — but that changed in 1989 with the passage of the Ethics Reform Act.
    http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/lef...ampaign-funds/
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would be pretty pissed, and I hope Romney comes out of his pocket to reinburse those ppl who were effected...probably wont happen.
    Quote Quote