Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Berardino: Can Charles Clay do that again?

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Suggestion Berardino: Can Charles Clay do that again?

Admit it. You were shocked to see Charles Clay getting his Gronk on during Sunday's 24-21 win over the Seahawks.
    You couldn't believe this much-hyped Dolphins "weapon" finally started to produce in a way commensurate with his multifaceted talents.

Confession: I was right there with you.
    Six targets, six catches, including the game-tying touchdown from 29 yards out in the fourth quarter.

Eighty-four receiving yards, 15 more than his previous best.
    What took him so long, right?
    "We've been waiting on that," Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby said. "Been waiting on him to explode and have a breakout game. He got inspired. Played exceptional. He'll be a threat the rest of his career."
    Considering Clay is in just his second NFL season after being drafted in Round 6 out of Tulsa, that was quite a statement.
    Then again, who knows better than Dansby and his fellow linebackers what it's like to cover Clay?
    Here's a hint: It's not easy.
    "He's a great challenge for us in practice," Dansby said. "Every day we're foaming at the mouth to get an opportunity to check him because we know the potential he has and how good he can really be."
    We have seen flashes of that potential over Clay's first two seasons.
    There was a three-catch, 50-yard introduction at Kansas City in the blowout win that ended last year's 0-7 start.
    He followed that up two weeks later with a four-catch, 69-yard showing in a runaway against Buffalo. That included his first NFL touchdown.
    A pair of 1-yard, goalline flips against the Patriots and Jets ended Clay's rookie season, while this year brought a 31-yard touchdown grab a few weeks ago at Indianapolis.
    However, Clay also had far too many afternoons when he went AWOL, where the simple act of looking the ball into his sizable mitts seemed beyond him.
    In 18 of his first 25 pro games he was inactive against the Jets in Week 3 he totaled one or zero catches.
    Entering Sunday, 31 passes had been directed his way as a Dolphin. He'd dropped eight of them more than 25 percent including five of the 16 he'd been thrown this year.
    For someone with his skill set, that's inexcusable."He's kind of a hybrid-type of player," Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said Monday. "Lines up in the backfield as a fullback. Lines up in the slot. Lines up as an outside receiver, an inside receiver and also as a tight end."
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f....column?page=2
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jugs machine will do wonder hey Clay?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fasano can drop them too (but can also make the occasional sick catch) but he doesn't have Clay's explosiveness. Clay is so seldom a threat that teams don't respect him until they're watching him run away from linebackers. He's kind of a well-kept secret. If he can start to draw coverage from a safety or a nickelback than Hartline and Bess' jobs will get so much easier. I think one of the reasons he's dropped so many is because he's been targeted so few times. I think he'll start to get a rhythm out there and hands won't be a problem. I don't think people realize how much of a mental process goes into catching the ball. Guys just jinx themselves when opportunities seem so few and so much pressure gets put on each attempt (where the player believes if he drops it then he won't see the field again that day).
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Realist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He looked pretty fast out there on Sunday.

I hope he can, I picked him up in fantasy.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Indomitable Survivor

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He looked fluid. I have been waiting on this, as most.
    soundcloud.com/hellweed
    Whatever lurks ahead, grievous abominations and disorder, you and me walk into it together. like always...
    Quote Quote