Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Look At The 2013 Offseason

1. -21
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't see a lot of downside in letting Jake go right now. We can get similar performance for a lot less money next year.

Here's an intriguing longshot - move Martin to LT (and hope he plays better there), and look at someone like Jovan Olafioye (from the CFL BC Lions) as a potential RT replacement. 6-6, 325, long arms, good feet/athleticism. Raw but very teachable, and probably pretty cheap. Something to consider...
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Everyone saw Cog play well for us the last two years. He just does not fit with Philbin, and his contract is not a big one. I think it's around $3.5-4M.
    its above $5m!! with his bonus according to https://twitter.com/nyjetscap

good luck with the trade!
    its behond me why any1 would trade for him when they know he will be released!!!
    and imo even your $4m is alot for a guard especially a very limited 1 like richie
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by moley View Post
    its above $5m!! with his bonus according to https://twitter.com/nyjetscap

good luck with the trade!
    its behond me why any1 would trade for him when they know he will be released!!!
    and imo even your $4m is alot for a guard especially a very limited 1 like richie
    Thanks for the cap hit info. I just used Cog's $4M salary, without the signing bonus. The $4M is what a team would be trading for. Don't know if we can get something, and a potential 5th rounder makes no difference to our team.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitches Brew View Post
    Too early for this; I could see lots of guys improving, especially Long. And it's hard for a losing team to let starters at key positions (Long and Smith) walk. You let them go and you open up even bigger holes at two of the most important positions.
    They are already huge holes. Why pay them
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    I agree with everyone but Smith, I'd keep him as your number 2 corner.
    good luck getting him to sign for #2 corner money though...although his play of late has been bad enough that maybe that's the best he can do...i don't know...all i do know is the guys stunk up the joint of late...every stop route smith overran yesterday everytime stevie johnson geared down put his foot in the ground and used his arm to clear space smith took 2 more steps and was late recovering...overran everything...couldn't find the ball had no feel for what johnson was doing...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Most new GMs coming from other teams would focus on keeping Jake Long, Randy Starks and Sean Smith.

Jake Long and Randy Starks would be re-signed because they're two of the very few players the Dolphins have on roster that are universally respected around the league. Whatever new GM comes here is going to be very defensive. He's coming into a new situation (probably a first time GM), doesn't know how much winning talent he'll have at his disposal, and so he's going to want to keep the few guys he already knows to be really good. You can worry about resource allocation some time down the road when you've engaged your own talent acquisition program long enough to actually be bumping up into your resource constraints (i.e. salary cap). The Dolphins aren't close to there yet. The concept of this roster having trouble staying under the salary cap is laughable.

Sean Smith would be kept simply because of the universal league-wide emphasis on keeping and acquiring talented corners. The passing game is too important to NFL success. Smith is not universally respected by any means but the Dolphins' lack of corner talent coupled with the league emphasis on corners would outweigh the chance that whatever new GM comes in wasn't particularly a fan of Smith's when he came out of the Draft.

Guys like Reggie Bush, Brian Hartline and Anthony Fasano...flip a coin. Some prospective GMs would be fans of theirs and many would not.

Dan Carpenter, Richard Marshall, Richie Incognito and Kevin Burnett would be prime candidates to be cut so that the new GM could try and bring in some of "his" guys. And it goes without saying that a Tony McDaniel would be allowed to walk on his expiring contract.

Matt Moore would be a coin flip. Up to him whether he wants to go ahead and still try and be a starter somewhere else (unlikely to have very many opportunities laid out before him) or if he'll accept a backup's contract to continue being the backup in Miami.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Most new GMs coming from other teams would focus on keeping Jake Long, Randy Starks and Sean Smith.

Jake Long and Randy Starks would be re-signed because they're two of the very few players the Dolphins have on roster that are universally respected around the league. Whatever new GM comes here is going to be very defensive. He's coming into a new situation (probably a first time GM), doesn't know how much winning talent he'll have at his disposal, and so he's going to want to keep the few guys he already knows to be really good. You can worry about resource allocation some time down the road when you've engaged your own talent acquisition program long enough to actually be bumping up into your resource constraints (i.e. salary cap). The Dolphins aren't close to there yet. The concept of this roster having trouble staying under the salary cap is laughable.

Sean Smith would be kept simply because of the universal league-wide emphasis on keeping and acquiring talented corners. The passing game is too important to NFL success. Smith is not universally respected by any means but the Dolphins' lack of corner talent coupled with the league emphasis on corners would outweigh the chance that whatever new GM comes in wasn't particularly a fan of Smith's when he came out of the Draft.

Guys like Reggie Bush, Brian Hartline and Anthony Fasano...flip a coin. Some prospective GMs would be fans of theirs and many would not.

Dan Carpenter, Richard Marshall, Richie Incognito and Kevin Burnett would be prime candidates to be cut so that the new GM could try and bring in some of "his" guys. And it goes without saying that a Tony McDaniel would be allowed to walk on his expiring contract.

Matt Moore would be a coin flip. Up to him whether he wants to go ahead and still try and be a starter somewhere else (unlikely to have very many opportunities laid out before him) or if he'll accept a backup's contract to continue being the backup in Miami.
    You are assuming Ross is going to make a change at GM. Not so sure he is going to do that.

Quote Quote  

8. -28
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    You are assuming Ross is going to make a change at GM. Not so sure he is going to do that.
    He hinted to it earlier when he said that everyone, including the GM, is evaluated on a yearly basis.

Look, the fact of the matter is he traded away our number one receiver and number one cornerback, and didn't replace them. I understand the desire to get Marshall and Vontae off the roster, they weren't Philbin guys, it makes sense. But when you do that and then fail to do anything to replace them, that's bush-league. Then he went into the season knowing that this team was going to run a ZBS along the o-line, and he gave Philbin Incognito and Jerry, the 2 least athletic guards in the continental U.S. The fact of the matter is, he drafted a QB number 1 overall, and he did nothing to help the kid grow. For the first time all season, I saw Tannehill frustrated last night. His receivers aren't getting separation, so he has nowhere to go with the ball. His guards are letting him down, which leaves him with no ground game and pressure up the middle when he drops back to pass. This is stunting his growth. Look what Indy, Seattle, and Washington did for their rookie QBs. They went out and got them weapons. I'm as objective as posters go, but this is my last straw. I'm tired of Ireland being reactionary. I want a GM who does things first, not waits to see what works for everyone else, then copy it 3-4 seasons too late...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Thanks for the cap hit info. I just used Cog's $4M salary, without the signing bonus. The $4M is what a team would be trading for. Don't know if we can get something, and a potential 5th rounder makes no difference to our team.
    its very rare to hit on a 5th rounder but 5th rnd is always handy if we need to move up!
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Hartline could be a good WR, but he is just too weak and he isn't getting it done in the weight room during the offseason. IMO, he lacks dedication. He had all offseason and most of the preseason to work on his upper body, but he obviously didn't. He is a fraggin weakling.
    Hartline was deathly ill this off season. Frankly it's amazing he's as productive as he is right now. How out of touch can be a person be to make comments like these?
    Quote Quote