Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerning but true article by Mando

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Concerning but true article by Mando

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Ninety-nine yards. Thatís what separated the Dolphins from a biting loss Thursday night. Thatís how far Ryan Tannehill had to drive his team to become a hero.
    The Dolphins quarterback had to move his team for a touchdown with four minutes to play that would have turned the fortunes of this game, perhaps this season, and certainly would have colored the rookieís reputation.
    Sorry.
    The drive ended in an interception.
    And another possession that came with 1:26 to play also ended in an interception.
    Bills win 19-14.
    And now, with the Dolphins in full-scale swoon the past three weeks, there is more trouble that seems on the horizon.
    The Seahawks are coming to Miami in 10 days. How many home fans are going to show for that one?
    Then the Patriots will come to town. The Dolphins just lost to the Bills, Titans and Colts. Theyíre going to beat New England?
    This season isnít dead yet. But it is on a respirator and doctors are working feverishly to revive it.
    Thatís the short-term situation. Of course, if you believe this season wasnít necessarily about, well, this season, then you are looking to other things. You are looking for answers to other more enduring questions.
    One question that looms is whether these guys are any better than last season? Last seasonís team was terrible early on but rallied, winning six of its final nine games. These guys seem to be writing the script in reverse ó good early and playing worse as we head into the toughest part of the schedule the next few weeks.
    So are these Dolphins even going in the right direction?
    The past three games ó all losses in troubling fashion ó suggest this team is no longer headed in the right direction. These games suggest the Dolphins are not getting better as the season wears on but, indeed, are regressing at a slow but steady pace.
    Itís not so much the results that trouble but the nature of the opposition against which those results are being posted.
    Yes, the Colts are a rising team with a budding star at quarterback, but letís face it, that is the team that lost more than any other team a season ago. The Titans rocked the Dolphins at home and did it with the leagueís worst statistical defense following a loss in which they gave up 50 points.
    And then there is this Bills game.
    The Bills had lost eight consecutive games against AFC East opponents before the Dolphins.
    The Bills had lost 10 consecutive prime-time games dating back to 2001.
    And, of course, the Bills had taken over from the Titans as the worst defense in the NFL because the Titans practically shut down the Dolphins.
    Well, it seems the Miami offense is the prescription against poor defense.
    Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman implored his players to play so inspired this night that it would ďmake their sons proud.Ē
    But there can be no pride coming out of this work.
    The Dolphins didnít cross midfield until the third quarter.
    The Dolphins had only two first downs in the first half and one of those came when a Bills player jumped offside.
    Miamiís most productive offensive play in the first half was a 17-yard completion to Brian Hartline. Only problem with the play is it ended with Hartline fumbling the ball over to the Bills.
    But there was a bright side.
    At least Hartline didnít get benched for his indiscretion, as Reggie Bush famously noted he got benched last week for his fumble.

But cornerback Nolan Carroll did get benched. He struggled in the first half. I use the word struggled because the word stunk is so unpleasant.
    Carroll was picked on repeatedly, and when he didnít give up completions he committed penalties. He had two pass-interference penalties and an illegal-contact call in the first half.
    And for that he was benched throughout the third quarter.
    Think whatever you want about the philosophy of benching an underperforming player during the game, but Joe Philbin obviously believes itís a tool to turn to whenever he thinks appropriate.
    Problem for Philbin is Sean Smith suffered from some sort of cramps in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. And so Carroll got a second chance out of sheer necessity by coaches.
    Carroll responded with a 5-yard holding penalty that gave the Bills their fourth first down in four penalties against him. This is a player who was playing better earlier in the season. He has struggled the past few weeks.
    Where is the progression in that?
    The facts are the Dolphins arenít showing grand progression up and down the roster.
    Bush hasnít gotten better. In fact, the Dolphins running game has been stagnant for a month.
    Tight end play?
    Anthony Fasano? Anything?
    He has had four catches the past four games after having 22 the previous six games. Thatís not progression.
    The run defense isnít up to the standards of the early part of the season. Miami yielded 120 rushing yards this night, which is twice as many as it gained.
    The play of the secondary has fallen off and, worse, it has happened against a couple of mediocre quarterbacks.
    This season is not lost. There are still questions about how far Tannehill can progress. We can watch to see how much spunk this team has and how far they are from actually being relevant

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/1...#storylink=cpy

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Miami Dolphins # 1

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Augustine, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cant say I disagree with anything he said. The way Miami played last night seemed to have just carried over from Sunday. Its a real disappointment bc 3 weeks ago we were 4-3, considered a surprise team on the rise and playoffs a REAL conversation piece. I almost came to the reality that Miami is never gonna win a Superbowl in my life time
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Dawn of a new era

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Newport News,Va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i'm just tired of losing.
    In his office Friday afternoon, Philbin pointed to the practice fields outside and said: "Out there is where we're going to find out about Ryan Tannehill, Matt Moore and David Garrard. I don't remember a master plan that said, 'Here's when Ryan's going to play.' If there is one, I was never told about it. We'll let them come to work, and the best man will win."'
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Does Armando has some kind of hidden point I missed? or did he just give a commentary on wwhat everyone already knew
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    Does Armando has some kind of hidden point I missed? or did he just give a commentary on wwhat everyone already knew
    I think his subtle point is that Miami's coaching staff is absolutely due for some of this blame. Lack of progression is the fault of sometimes the player, sometimes the coach, but usually both.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    I think his subtle point is that Miami's coaching staff is absolutely due for some of this blame. Lack of progression is the fault of sometimes the player, sometimes the coach, but usually both.
    Right, well I'm glad Armando explained to us that everyone is playing bad or else I would have never known. His great analitical work has always impressed me.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mando is pretty accurate with what he said and I think that the Dolphins need to be very careful as to whom they resign this offseason. I am not getting the warm and fuzzies for Long, Bush, or Smith. That would open up a great deal of cap room to bring in some serious FA or to reward those who have stepped up to play like Starks and Hartline.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Funny thing is if Carpenter didn't miss another field goal we would only need 65 yards for a realistic game winning field goal attempt. Yes Tannehill threw an interception but he had to force something, NO ONE WAS GETTING OPEN. He had very little time to work with and needed big plays. Can't blame him.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical Limit View Post
    Funny thing is if Carpenter didn't miss another field goal we would only need 65 yards for a realistic game winning field goal attempt. Yes Tannehill threw an interception but he had to force something, NO ONE WAS GETTING OPEN. He had very little time to work with and needed big plays. Can't blame him.
    If I was GM, Carpenter would be pink slipped in the tunnel coming off the field in week 17.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    703 Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    The season is done. There's no need to sugarcoat it. 9-7 at worst might get you a WC spot. Why would the Dolphins finish 5-1 the rest of the way vs. Seattle, NE twice, and SF?

Quote Quote