Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mathews and Bess

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrickpuppy View Post
    bess gets off the line quick but clearly lacks long speed and has short legs...i think the fins need to turn bess to a rb next year or get rid of him cause he's not letting other pure wr's play for the last couple of years.
    Are you nuts? Bess is one of the best, most relieable handed receiver in the league. He's one a few quality players we have.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We have to keep Bess. He would be in NE so fast if he were relesed. Bess would be a pro bowler in NE!
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    #1 Oronde Gadsden & Cameron Wake Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Silent Hill!
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny6813 View Post
    Im also in The NewEngland football hellish evil area!!! I feel your pain my friend.. I was forced to get sunday ticket MANY years ago, so i can see them play every week..
    Same here. I live 15min away from the stadium. I have been watching the games via a site and will get to go to the last game of the year this season.

Cameron Wake Cut auto card i made.

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Life is what we make it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta via Exit 9 - New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can't believe an NFL coach would run Bess out on the perimeter. The guy has what, 4.7 speed. Our offense is horrible right now.

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Mathews and Bess

Quote Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
    Can't believe an NFL coach would run Bess out on the perimeter. The guy has what, 4.7 speed. Our offense is horrible right now.
    By comparison notice the difference when they ran the same ppay using the faster bigger Matthews?
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadi-Phin View Post
    Why we are running Bess on Corners is beyond me or in three receiver sets we have him playing outside, absolutely ridiculous. Takes him away from what he does best.
    Reason is... when he is in the slot... they run one of the most basic/fundamental route combinations called 'Smash'.... all NFL and college teams run it, it's that basic. Outside runs an in or a hook/hitch, and the slot runs the corner. The coverage dictates where the QB goes with the ball... so it's irrelevant that Bess is running a corner... it could be anyone.

As for him playing outside... when you are in a 2 WR set... with one on each side... the fact that Bess is right now one of our top 2 WR's on the roster, he, by default... will play the outside.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsden86 View Post
    Same here. I live 15min away from the stadium. I have been watching the games via a site and will get to go to the last game of the year this season.

Uh oh, that could be a painful experience. I did that with my son a couple years, when the Pats blew us off the field. The Pats fans were laughing in our faces. However, I consoled myself as we left Gillette Stadium that at least that game meant that Sparano and Ireland were gone. And it wasn't to be.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    A very famous spit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bess is the measuring stick for this team. A total progress stopper and nothing special, he's the definition of mediocrity.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but he caps our potential. Great teams look for ways to improve on Bess, our team, full of holes, let's Ireland joyfully pencil Bess in as a 5 year starter.

We need dynamic players that can create touchdowns out of nothing.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-London View Post
    Reason is... when he is in the slot... they run one of the most basic/fundamental route combinations called 'Smash'.... all NFL and college teams run it, it's that basic. Outside runs an in or a hook/hitch, and the slot runs the corner. The coverage dictates where the QB goes with the ball... so it's irrelevant that Bess is running a corner... it could be anyone.

As for him playing outside... when you are in a 2 WR set... with one on each side... the fact that Bess is right now one of our top 2 WR's on the roster, he, by default... will play the outside.
    No its not irrelevant. I know its a basic combination but you don't have a guy run a deep corner who can't run it. Its different when he runs the shallow corner which maybe the drive before he had success with but know your personnel. 20+ yard corners are not what Bess does well. He creates seperation with his route running which is to his advantage on shallow routes but the longer routes it gives time for the corner to catch, hence why he is a good slot receiver and not a great outside receiver. The coverage dictates where to go but the staff calls the play to be that deep. Bad playcall with a player who sucks at those types of routes.

Also I was talking about in a 3 receiver set he was on the outside not in the slot, which I stated in my post. Matthews was in the slot instead of Bess. Watch the play again. This is stupid. Bess is a very limited player on the outside. In the 2 WR sets we are forced to play him out there which shows how bad our receiving core is currently. He shoudl see the field except in 3 receiver sets and then he would be outstanding. But when we have Matthews or Gaffney in Bess should always kick inside which he did not on more than one occasion which instantly puts us at a disadvantage schematically.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    FinHeavean VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto, On. Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bess is fine. He's going to be a staple of our offense for years to come.

Matthews? i was kinda high on him at the beginning of the season. But now, not so much.

If the guy can't get on the field on a regular basis, I don't see him factoring into much this year, or in the future. If the guy was good, he'd be playing and making plays.

One catch means nothing.
    Quote Quote