Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the World Doesn't Know About Healthcare in America

1. -21
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    Going by the WHO report which seems to be the gold standard in this argument we are #1 in healthcare services and providers and #15 in results. Purely subjective reasonings of efficency for the rest. USA should have the best resutls if we spend the most and have the best service and providers...or just maybe our population isn't worse than #15 because we do spend the most and have the best services and providers.
    Got a link?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Damn man, that would have been an amazing experience in high school. I went to a podunk little rural high school with a horrible soccer team, though. We'd have had no business going anywhere to play a game. What position did you play? I was a striker, usually center or right wing. I could, and still can, hold my own dribbling. Never had the big leg needed for college, unfortunately. I was fast as hell, though. Probably the only reason I lasted as long as I did before getting cut. Was a pretty humbling experience. Going from being pretty much the best person on the team to can't even make it to the bench. Didn't turn out too badly, though. It would have been nice to have the scholarship so I didn't have to work, but it did give me time to play in my band...
    i played forward in club growing up. in high school we were constantly ranked nationally (we had two all americans on my team, one my junior year and the other my senior, both went to duke), i played right mid in high school and a little center mid. i was always good at everything and never great at anything, i was also a pretty good runner and good in the (i was 6ft in high school). in college i moved to defensive center mid (kind of a stopper), which was a great experience because i would play against guys from africa and the islands who were fast as crap and very technically sound. very humbleing but i learned so much about cutting down angles and man marking. the biggest thing i learned about playing against teams in europe is the ball possesion. when we went to england we played against trialist (guys who were on the youth teams for the primere, 2nd and 3rd division teams), those guys in england play rough, and the ground is hard as hell. in beligum, it is much more possesion and technical. in total i played about 15 games in 3 different countries.

there are two guys on the U.S. national team that i played with, Graham Zusi. i used to play club with his older brother Mike, and Eddie Johnson, i played against him in club and high school
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    i played forward in club growing up. in high school we were constantly ranked nationally (we had two all americans on my team, one my junior year and the other my senior, both went to duke), i played right mid in high school and a little center mid. i was always good at everything and never great at anything, i was also a pretty good runner and good in the (i was 6ft in high school). in college i moved to defensive center mid (kind of a stopper), which was a great experience because i would play against guys from africa and the islands who were fast as crap and very technically sound. very humbleing but i learned so much about cutting down angles and man marking. the biggest thing i learned about playing against teams in europe is the ball possesion. when we went to england we played against trialist (guys who were on the youth teams for the primere, 2nd and 3rd division teams), those guys in england play rough, and the ground is hard as hell. in beligum, it is much more possesion and technical. in total i played about 15 games in 3 different countries.

there are two guys on the U.S. national team that i played with, Graham Zusi. i used to play club with his older brother Mike, and Eddie Johnson, i played against him in club and high school
    Much respect to you. I never had the discipline for stopper. They tried to play me there because I was fast enough to match up with strikers, but I kept drifting up too far. I had played striker since I was 6 years old in AYSO, so my instincts were always going to be to attack the goal. Kept leaving the fullbacks hanging. Oddly enough, I know exactly what you mean by the Brits play rough. While we were doing our Europe thing, we stumbled into a park where a pick up game was going. I tried to play with them and got roughed up pretty good. Thought I was in a rugby game a few times. Would have loved to play with guys who were technical. I think that's the kind of game I would do much better in. Good stuff though. I'm pretty jealous you got to do all that...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Got a link?
    LOL,, with so many threads and posts in the Pofo back in the healthcare debates seemed finding would be have been easy for you and me to find. Anyhow, thank you google...

The comparative ranking system that most critics cite comes from the U.N.'s World Health Organization (WHO). The ranking most often quoted is Overall Performance, where the U.S. is rated No. 37. The Overall Performance Index, however, is adjusted to reflect how well WHO officials believe that a country could have done in relation to its resources.

The scale is heavily subjective: The WHO believes that we could have done better because we do not have universal coverage. What apparently does not matter is that our population has universal access because most physicians treat indigent patients without charge and accept Medicare and Medicaid payments, which do not even cover overhead expenses. The WHO does rank the U.S. No. 1 of 191 countries for "responsiveness to the needs and choices of the individual patient." Isn't responsiveness what health care is all about?
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...678102274.html
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Much respect to you. I never had the discipline for stopper. They tried to play me there because I was fast enough to match up with strikers, but I kept drifting up too far. I had played striker since I was 6 years old in AYSO, so my instincts were always going to be to attack the goal. Kept leaving the fullbacks hanging. Oddly enough, I know exactly what you mean by the Brits play rough. While we were doing our Europe thing, we stumbled into a park where a pick up game was going. I tried to play with them and got roughed up pretty good. Thought I was in a rugby game a few times. Would have loved to play with guys who were technical. I think that's the kind of game I would do much better in. Good stuff though. I'm pretty jealous you got to do all that...

Im sure you understand when I tell you how humbling it is to play now at this age (just turned 31). I'm not sure how competitive your league is but I was playing in a premiere league with a lot of high school, college and ex-college players who are all younger than me. My mind knows what to do and my body doesn't want to. I always talk trash and tell them 10 years ago I would own them. My team (who is pretty much guys my age) always finished in the top five. But we were the least fit team and got lucky that we had a ridiculous goalie.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    LOL,, with so many threads and posts in the Pofo back in the healthcare debates seemed finding would be have been easy for you and me to find. Anyhow, thank you google...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...678102274.html
    The reason I asked is the WHO made the last comprehensive study in 2000. Your article actually takes these numbers. So it is a 2000 study.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    Im sure you understand when I tell you how humbling it is to play now at this age (just turned 31). I'm not sure how competitive your league is but I was playing in a premiere league with a lot of high school, college and ex-college players who are all younger than me. My mind knows what to do and my body doesn't want to. I always talk trash and tell them 10 years ago I would own them. My team (who is pretty much guys my age) always finished in the top five. But we were the least fit team and got lucky that we had a ridiculous goalie.
    Yeah, I hear you on that. It's odd not being the fastest on the field anymore. A few games back I turned too quick and tweaked the hell out of my back. I had never felt old up until that point.

My league is pretty competitive. It's mostly dudes in my situation. Used to be serious soccer players, and didn't take the next step. Most of them are between 23-35 it seems, all though there are a few guys who look to be in their 40s. It's a good time...
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I can't speak for anybody else, but having experienced both healthcare systems for extended periods of time, I'll take Canada's any day of the week, as would my Canadian wife and all of her friends and family (only met one that would choose the U.S.'s, but she's never actually experienced it). Apparently 86% of Canadians feel the same way: http://www.nupge.ca/node/2486 . The biggest problem I've seen is a lack of primary care physicians. A lot of that is due to a rapidly increasing population and too few medical schools to meet the needs. That's a different problem entirely.

That being said, no way that system would work here or vice versa. Different people, different demographics, healthcare systems that are completely intertwined, etc.

Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A while back I mentioned in a thread that I had a solution to healthcare moving around in my brain and that I'd share that at some time with everyone. Its pretty long and I've got it half way typed up. Maybe if I get some time over the next month I can get the other half out of my head and I can get it posted on here so everyone can rip it to shreds.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    A while back I mentioned in a thread that I had a solution to healthcare moving around in my brain and that I'd share that at some time with everyone. Its pretty long and I've got it half way typed up. Maybe if I get some time over the next month I can get the other half out of my head and I can get it posted on here so everyone can rip it to shreds.
    You writing a 1400 page bill?

I am curious though.
    Quote Quote