Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Rand Paul holds up NDAA bill over indefinite detention amendment

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Rand Paul holds up NDAA bill over indefinite detention amendment

Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul is holding up consideration of the fiscal 2013 defense authorization bill over an amendment he plans to offer that would require a jury trial for Americans detained in terrorism investigations.

A Paul spokeswoman said the senator wants “an agreement in principle to get a vote” on the amendment, which would likely produce some fireworks on the floor.
    Paul’s demand for a vote comes as Senate Armed Services Chairman Carl Levin, D-Mich., and Arizona Sen. John McCain, the top Republican on the panel, are working behind the scenes to limit debate on the sprawling policy measure (S 3254) to ensure it receives floor time during the lame-duck session.

More:
    http://www.rollcall.com/news/paul_slaps_hold_on_defense_bill...

Text of amendment:

A citizen of the United States who is captured or arrested in the United States and detained by the Armed Forces of the United States pursuant to the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107–40) shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
    http://www.dailypaul.com/263271/rand...tion-amendment

At least someone gives a damn about simple things like the rule of law. It's going to be real interesting to see this one play out. Too bad sex scandals are more important.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    I don't understand how you can hold a US citizen indefinitely without due process, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Foreigners, I can understand, and don't mind at all, but US citizens? That's straight up full-retard.

Sex scandals sell.

At the same time the Declaration of Independence says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights." Too bad the founders didn't follow those words but nonetheless I'm a firm believer in them.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Since I got the Bill on my PC but don't want to read through some 700 pages right now maybe someone could give me the Title, Subtitle and Section.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Oh, i don't know.....someone widely held as one of our greatest Presidents suspended Habeus Corpas. And didn't another widely esteemed President create internment camps for people of Asian ancestry? Not enough people get pissed about things like this because like these two guys, it's being done in the interest of national security.

Too bad.....when any one persons rights are trampled on, all of our rights suffer for it.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Heres my question: other than a military base shooting(or something similar to that), how can the military arrest and hold someone on American soil?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Heres my question: other than a military base shooting(or something similar to that), how can the military arrest and hold someone on American soil?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Petition to stop the NDAA (Please read and sign!!!)

http://www.randpacusa.com/ndaa_sign.aspx?pid=1120
    Quote Quote