Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Marino Factor

1. -31
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiZFiT View Post
    Raised by my old man that is a die hard Dolfan. I've been brainwashed since day 1 and will forever bleed aqua and orange.
    I like that brainwashed part.
    I should have probably added that of course my fanship was based (or brainwashed) by my parents. Not too many 5 year olds become football fans on their own.

My parents go way back to the Seahawks (Miami) for a year or two. I remember my dad messing with me. When I went to my very first game at the Orange Bowl he told me that the Miami Seahawks played at a much better Stadium: The Burdines Stadium. Little did I know back then that the Orange Bowl was in fact the original Burdines Stadium. I figured that out much later and my Dad had a good laugh on me.

He said also to me: Boy, you better appreciate what you have here (a football franchise). Mom ans I went for nearly 20 years without a home team and it sucked.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dolphans1 View Post
    There was a movement to get rid of Dan toward his last couple season, exasberated by his injuries to his Achilles and broken ankle, which lead to his early return to that infamous Dallas game whereas Dan thew several picks. A lot of fans said hisarm strength was gone and his mobility issues telegraphed his handoffs.

d-1
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I despise passing. I can't imagine how passing is tolerated, let alone championed.

During the early '70s I'd literally skip to school, kicking rocks and smacking leaves off trees. That's how we were going to treat the cupcake passing teams on the schedule. It was so joyous when we'd draw one of those teams. I was 12 and 13 years old but already sensed a line of scrimmage mangling on the docket. Besides, in those days the secondary could maul you also. Foley and Johnson would cut off your legs at the snap. There was no such thing as a 5 yard zone, the first pantyhose rule change they made. I loved it when Stanfill would bear down on a terrified quarterback who literally had nobody to throw to, his dainty receivers sprawled on the Poly Turf.

In the Marino era, we became everything I loved to mock. It was an insult to the community and to human decency. Look at all the bad guys who were born in those years. More than average number, I'm sure, and some yet to reveal. We were so brain dead we designed and built a stadium that will regulate South Florida football for a half century. It all traces to passing.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I cant say I remember Marino at all really.

Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Dan Marino alot (username) but I also like the teams history ect...
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    I despise passing. I can't imagine how passing is tolerated, let alone championed.

During the early '70s I'd literally skip to school, kicking rocks and smacking leaves off trees. That's how we were going to treat the cupcake passing teams on the schedule. It was so joyous when we'd draw one of those teams. I was 12 and 13 years old but already sensed a line of scrimmage mangling on the docket. Besides, in those days the secondary could maul you also. Foley and Johnson would cut off your legs at the snap. There was no such thing as a 5 yard zone, the first pantyhose rule change they made. I loved it when Stanfill would bear down on a terrified quarterback who literally had nobody to throw to, his dainty receivers sprawled on the Poly Turf.

In the Marino era, we became everything I loved to mock. It was an insult to the community and to human decency. Look at all the bad guys who were born in those years. More than average number, I'm sure, and some yet to reveal. We were so brain dead we designed and built a stadium that will regulate South Florida football for a half century. It all traces to passing.
    Are you alright Awsi?
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

6. -36
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My family cheered for the phins long before and I grew up a Dolphins fan because of it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    RI
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Are you alright Awsi?
    ihalf feel the same way as well, though i became a fan in the late 80's, as i was born in 81. i might feel just as strongly as awsi if i had been around to witness the great dolphin teams, but ive always been a fan of a physically dominating run game.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Biello View Post
    ihalf feel the same way as well, though i became a fan in the late 80's, as i was born in 81. i might feel just as strongly as awsi if i had been around to witness the great dolphin teams, but ive always been a fan of a physically dominating run game.
    I have been a Miami fan since 1980 ish. I was a kid then but my older cousins all were Miami fans and since I had no older siblings I looked up to them. Dan came around in 1983 and that just sealed the deal for me, a pisan from Pitt with a cannon arm and a name ending with the same vowel. I love face pounding football just as much as the older guys on the site and I miss the days that S.I and NFL films would put out the NFL's all time greatest hits and feature guys like Dick Butkus, Bronko Nagurski, Deacon Jones, Lawrence Taylor, Howie Long, Chuck Bednarik etc...that was a different age of football an age when you could strap newspapers on your legs so you didn't break them by making a ferocious hit. Those films were the only way I go to see some of those guys hit people like that, the older guys at least, I fondly remember Long, Taylor, Lott and guys of that era, I wanted to tackle like them on the football field.

The NFL games didn't really change until recently, up until the early 2000's you took your chances going over the middle of a football field, was it like the days of the 70's and prior...no but you damn sure better be prepared to get smashed in the efin face if you caught the ball. It was a good time for football, a better time. These days the offenseive passing rules have made the game irrelevant on defense, there is almost nothing a defensive back can do to stop a perfectly executed pass anymore. Even with almost perfect coverage the play will sometimes end with a penalty or completion and to me that is sad.

In the days of the Taylor's, Long's and Lott's it wasn't all that different from the days in the 70's and before, the players were at least allowed to hit. It isn't like that now and frankly I honestly find myself moving away front he sport sadly but true. It is similar to what NASCAR did to racing, plug in the ol' cars who are all even and watch them go round and round until the end. Gone is the rubbin's racin' days. So to are the days of smashing a receiver over the middle of the field, we saw that just last night with Ed Reed getting suspended one game for a hit that would not have even made an NFL highlight films real back in the early 90's or before.

Was it right for players in that 70's and prior to be able to get away with murder....no. Is it right for the defense to be handcuffed like they are right now...no. I think and always will think the NFL found a good balance right there in that time between the 1970's and 2000's. A time when people could hit and people could pass, balance, passing didn't dominate the landscape, rushing was still relevant and hitting a QB and WR was allowed.

Just like NASCAR dynasties do not equal higher revenue and parity makes for better growth and TV ratings so these teams will be runnin' round and round out there for years to come with little to no emphasis of playing football like it was intended, the emphasis will be on what is good for revenue growth masked in the form of concern for the players health.
    Last edited by NY8123; 11-20-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    +1
    Quote Quote