Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lombardi: Phins/Tannehill enduring normal growing pains

1. -11
    Ray Finkle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have been abnormally pessimistic since the Buffalo game. But, after reading this I feel a little better. Philbin is still pissing me off, though. There is absolutely no reason why Reggie Bush should be on the sideline as much as he is, fumbles or no fumbles. Ridiculous...
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SigmaOmega View Post
    This article was referenced in another thread, but does this line remind you of Cam Cameron's "Fail Forward Fast".

"I want players to be failing at a fast rate" .....
    Yes, it does sound a little like that. But, we have all heard this message given countless times and packaged a million ways--young QB's need to play and gain experience. It doesn't matter who says it. We have heard it spun different ways by guys like Curt Warner, Stinky Schlereth, Dan Reeves, Mike Shanahan, John Gruden, Charlie Casserly, Michael Lombardi and Can Cameron among others. Consider that all of these are different ways to say the same thing with slightly different spins on them:

* QB's develop quicker when the bullets are flying
    * in the long run it is better to take your lumps now and have your quarterback grow sooner
    * the fastest way for a quarterback to learn is to get thrown in and learn as he goes
    * the more time a quarterback spends in real games the earlier he can develop
    * for a young quarterback to grow into a quality starter he needs reps in game situations
    * every quarterback develops at his own speed, but whatever that speed is, it is slower holding a clipboard

These are all just differentways to express what almost every kknowledgeable football person knows--young quarterbacks learn faster through playing. We can all debate about perspective, confidence, mentoring, coaching, habits, fear, etc. But, Tannehill isn't playing with fear, he isn't losing confidence, he isn't developing bad habits, and his teammates still believe in him. I can see no reasons not to keep playing him.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Yes, it does sound a little like that. But, we have all heard this message given countless times and packaged a million ways--young QB's need to play and gain experience. It doesn't matter who says it. We have heard it spun different ways by guys like Curt Warner, Stinky Schlereth, Dan Reeves, Mike Shanahan, John Gruden, Charlie Casserly, Michael Lombardi and Can Cameron among others. Consider that all of these are different ways to say the same thing with slightly different spins on them:

* in the long run it is better to take your lumps now and have your quarterback grow sooner
    * the fastest way for a quarterback to learn is to get thrown in and learn as he goes
    * for a young quarterback to grow into a quality starter he needs reps in game situations
    * every quarterback develops at his own speed, but whatever that speed is, it is slower holding a clipboard

These are all just differentways to express what almost every kknowledgeable football person knows--young quarterbacks learn faster through playing. We can all debate about perspective, confidence, mentoring, coaching, habits, fear, etc. But, Tannehill isn't playing with fear, he isn't losing confidence, he isn't developing bad habits, and his teammates still believe in him. I can see no reasons not to keep playing him.

Understandable, but they don't need to make mistakes as much as we can expect them to happen. When I look at Tannehill, I don't think to myself "I hope he throws a pick here because he'll learn for the future". I hope he learns in practice, I hope he learns in the film room, but I expect him to be a professional throughout and to want to not make mistakes. Lombardi's conveyance is totally off with that line and it throws off the entire article for me.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Avoid the 'Noid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Understandable, but they don't need to make mistakes as much as we can expect them to happen. When I look at Tannehill, I don't think to myself "I hope he throws a pick here because he'll learn for the future". I hope he learns in practice, I hope he learns in the film room, but I expect him to be a professional throughout and to want to not make mistakes. Lombardi's conveyance is totally off with that line and it throws off the entire article for me.
    Cam Newton never made mistakes, until he got to the NFL. Eventually you have to learn from them. Sorry this article was elementary in nature for you.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fountain (Colorado Springs), CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post

This...
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    LOL, I agree, we are not hoping for INT's but before the last barrage of 'teaching opportunities' Tannehill had thrown 107 passes without an INT.

Young players are inconsistent and I think we would both agree that the more Tannehill can develop this year, the better it is for the Dolphins even if it prevents us from being a one-and-done playoff team this year. That doesn't make the learning curve any less painful for us fans though.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Haines City, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Everytime I watch RGIII, Luck, and even Russell Wilson I'm amazed at how much better their "normal growing pains" look.
    Quote Quote