Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 168

Thread: College Coaching Changes

  1. -21
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,643
    vCash:
    10281
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    only place I could see Strong leaving for in a heartbeat is Florida because that's where he spent a majority of his coaching career. Otherwise, I don't see him leaving Louisville as long as Teddy is there. But even then, he's doing a good job building the Louisville brand bringing in some talented players that wouldn't even sniff Louisville otherwise and have a shot at getting 5* WR James Quick.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,332
    vCash:
    10771
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    only place I could see Strong leaving for in a heartbeat is Florida because that's where he spent a majority of his coaching career. Otherwise, I don't see him leaving Louisville as long as Teddy is there. But even then, he's doing a good job building the Louisville brand bringing in some talented players that wouldn't even sniff Louisville otherwise and have a shot at getting 5* WR James Quick.
    Pretty much, but I do think he would consider the SC job if the 'Ol Ball Coach ever retires (who knows, he may be there until the day he dies). U of L was the 16th most profitable athletic department last season. With ACC money we will move into the top 10 most profitable. If Strong leaves it won't be about money. We can park a Brinks truck on his front lawn if need be.

    Oh, and Quick says we're still the leader even after his official visit to OSU last weekend. Yesterday's announcement about the ACC can only help with that. When it's all said and done I think he ends up as a Card.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,643
    vCash:
    10281
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the joke going around right now is that Auburn has reportedly had contact with Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, and Charlie Strong which means Mark Mangino will be the next Auburn Head Coach (Patterson supposedly was heavily interested in the Auburn job last time, but they gave it to Chizek)

    Anyways, Stoops is taking James Coley to Kentucky with him in some capacity according to sources and will also be bringing in Texas Tech OC/QB Coach Neal Brown. If both are true, those are pretty impressive gets. Kentucky is reportedly going to upgrade the football facilities. Reports are they saw the type of effect James Franklin has had on Vandy and are hoping Stoops has that effect on them.

    Speaking of Mangino, he's in talks to become Colorado's head coach.

    BC has reportedly contacted Jim Tressel's representatives, but they'd have to show cause for hire to the NCAA if they decided to go that direction.

    NC State may be looking at Todd Grantham, Georgia DC. Fans want James Franklin, but he's not leaving Vandy.

    The Vols nation still thinks they're getting Gruden.

    I think you'll see movement after the Conference Championship games.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,332
    vCash:
    10771
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    the joke going around right now is that Auburn has reportedly had contact with Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, and Charlie Strong which means Mark Mangino will be the next Auburn Head Coach (Patterson supposedly was heavily interested in the Auburn job last time, but they gave it to Chizek)

    Anyways, Stoops is taking James Coley to Kentucky with him in some capacity according to sources and will also be bringing in Texas Tech OC/QB Coach Neal Brown. If both are true, those are pretty impressive gets. Kentucky is reportedly going to upgrade the football facilities. Reports are they saw the type of effect James Franklin has had on Vandy and are hoping Stoops has that effect on them.

    Speaking of Mangino, he's in talks to become Colorado's head coach.

    BC has reportedly contacted Jim Tressel's representatives, but they'd have to show cause for hire to the NCAA if they decided to go that direction.

    NC State may be looking at Todd Grantham, Georgia DC. Fans want James Franklin, but he's not leaving Vandy.

    The Vols nation still thinks they're getting Gruden.

    I think you'll see movement after the Conference Championship games.
    I'll believe it when I see it. Those old time coal UK boosters only care about basketball. They ran Bear off all those decades ago and haven't looked back since. In the 1980s they told UK guard Rex Chapman not to date black women and finally forced basketball coach Tubby Smith out in 2007. They control UK's money and they'll tell Barnhart what to do with it.

    If they really are going to finally put some money in the football program then it isn't because of Vandy, it's because of the University of Louisville. We are showing their redneck fanbase that it is possible for an athletic department to pour money into football AND have a top basketball program. They are consistent with their superiority complex over U of L. They've got to keep us as their percieved "little brother".
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,643
    vCash:
    10281
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1441426

    rivals coaching carousel page
    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,643
    vCash:
    10281
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gruden officially pulls himself out of the Tennessee coaching search. A lot of Vols fans are now thinking they can get Mike Gundy which is almost as dumb as Gruden. Gundy is an Oklahoma State alum that has the backing of one of the richest boosters out there in T. Boone Pickens. The team also overachieved this year in many peoples eyes. The fan base is just gonna have to accept that the Tennessee job is not gonna attract big name guys to leave their position.

    I'm now going to go on a rant about hiring coaches. Too many teams either go for the big name hire, the hot candidate, or a guy known as a good recruiter. Steve Kragthorpe had a good record at Tulsa so many felt he would be a good hire for Louisville. Turns out, as you said LouPhinFan, he wasn't the same without his assistants, and he couldn't recruit. Rich Rodriguez was seen as one of the best coaches in the Nation at West Virginia and was a disaster at Michigan. Part was because his system (mainly defensive) didn't work in the Big Ten, his staff (again defensive) were not good coaches, and he couldn't recruit the area Michigan recruited. Instead of going for good midwest players, he'd go for marginal guys down south.

    Minnesota did something similar. Glen Mason was not a good recruiter, but he was a good coach that had the Gophers in bowl games consistently, with occasional top 25 finishes. They fired him and hired Tim Brewster; a guy who was never a coordinator (which isn't always a bad thing), but they didn't hire him for his coaching. They hired him because he was Mack Brown's recruiting coordinator for a long time at both Texas and North Carolina. To be fair, Brewster was not a terrible recruiter in his time at Minnesota. He was not however a good head coach. Wasn't ready to run a program. Jerry Kill was a better hire as he is known as a guy who can build solid programs. The only thing holding him back IMO is his seizures.

    Gene Chizik was hired in Auburn because of his connections to the school. He won the National title because he got lucky (paid) Cam Newton to go to school there, and he had an offensive genius in Gus Malzahn. Once Malzahn left because he was desperate to be a collegiate head coach. Which is funny because Malzahn was offered the Vandy job a year earlier but turned it down because his people told him he'd get a better job if he was patient. That ended up not being the case because when he interviewed for the NC Job, he (and his wife) terrified the AD. So he got stuck with the Arkansas State job. Anyways, once Chizik lost his top assistant (and we can add DC Ted Roof as well, although the D sucked last year) he was exposed.

    Time for another rant. Jon Embree and a few people are saying Colorado fired him because of racial issues. No. No No. Embree being black had nothing to do with that. In fact, had Colorado had any money to spend on coaches (their athletic department is broke) he wouldn't have been considered. Hell even then, the only reason he was considered is he went to Colorado and coached there in the past as an assistant. He was fired because his teams weren't even competitive. Same with Randy Shannon at Miami, he wasn't fired for racial issues, his teams under performed. I love when the issue of race comes out in coaching and why there aren't many minority coaches at big time programs. Again, I doubt it has much to do with race. Big time jobs don't open up much. The crappy jobs open up. Will Muschamp and Chip Kelly getting big time gigs as coordinators are the exceptions not the rule. As I mentioned, look at Gus Malzahn, after the 2010 season he was linked with an SEC job. A crappy one in Vandy, but an SEC job. He thought he could do better so he declined and he only got offered by Arkansas State

    The race issue is so stupid. I understand it's an issue (the fact it took Charlie Strong so long to get a head gig is criminal) but truth be told unless circumstances dictate it, the first head coaching job a hot coordinator gets is gonna be a crappy job. Guys like Chip Kelly and Will Muschamp are exceptions not the rule.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,332
    vCash:
    10771
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    Gene Chizik was hired in Auburn because of his connections to the school. He won the National title because he got lucky (paid) Cam Newton to go to school there, and he had an offensive genius in Gus Malzahn. Once Malzahn left because he was desperate to be a collegiate head coach. Which is funny because Malzahn was offered the Vandy job a year earlier but turned it down because his people told him he'd get a better job if he was patient. That ended up not being the case because when he interviewed for the NC Job, he (and his wife) terrified the AD. So he got stuck with the Arkansas State job. Anyways, once Chizik lost his top assistant (and we can add DC Ted Roof as well, although the D sucked last year) he was exposed.
    Yikes, what was so terrifying about them?



    I'm hearing rumblings that Butch Jones to Purdue may be a done deal. At least that's the word going around Cincy fans.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,643
    vCash:
    10281
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Yikes, what was so terrifying about them?



    I'm hearing rumblings that Butch Jones to Purdue may be a done deal. At least that's the word going around Cincy fans.
    heard that too about Purdue. Jones is getting a bit of grief for just following Kelly, but he's a good coach in his right. Did better at CMU than Kelly, but not as good at Cincy.

    Well terrified may be strong with Gus, but his wife did an interview on a local tv station and she came off as rather crazy. Can't find the link to the interview, but really after she went on her rant, a few of the schools that were supposedly interested in Gus severed ties with him. Reason Arkansas State had interest is Gus is a legend in Arkansas cause of his high school teams and Gus was extremely desperate to become a HC in college.

    Again, funniest thing was Vandy wanted him and offered him the job and Malzahn listened to people saying he'd get a better offer if he waited. Didn't happen.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,643
    vCash:
    10281
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dave Doeren to NC State. Named coach and his NIU team makes a BCS bowl. Good hire though by NC State
    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    ChambersWI's Avatar
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    12,643
    vCash:
    10281
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Brett Bielema to Arkansas. Good coach but chokes in big bowl games.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. College Coaching Carousel
    By ChambersWI in forum College Sports Forum
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 12:05 AM
  2. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM
  3. College vs NBA
    By maddendude in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-21-2006, 07:53 AM
  4. Top 5 college QB's ?
    By mia4ever in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 11:22 AM
  5. Statistical Evidence of Shoddy Coaching / Coaching Lost This Game
    By Da 'Fins in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •