Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: College Coaching Changes

1. -41
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Strong has called a football meeting tomorrow for the team. But here's the catch: it's at 4:30 PM. Most "I've taken another job" team meetings happen in the morning or late at night.

Let's put it this way: if Charlie Strong is leaving the University of Louisville, then he spent this entire last weekend bold-faced lying to a recruit (who then promptly switched his commitment from Ole Miss to U of L because Strong said he's not leaving anytime soon) as well as players on the team (relatives of players have been telling the media that the players have been told by Strong that he's staying). From what I know about Coach Strong is that he's not classified as one of the super-narcassistic/borderline sociopathic coaches ala Todd Graham, Lane Kiffin, Bobby Petrino, or Nick Saban.

I'll go out on a limb and say that at some point tomorrow you'll hear that Charlie Strong has signed a very lucrative contract extension with the University of Louisville that makes him one of the highest paid football coaches in college, right up there with Nick Saban and Les Miles. I could be wrong, but as I said I'm going out on a limb.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Bleeding 305 since 1987

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Cristobal just got fired by FIU
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolfan3773 View Post
    Cristobal just got fired by FIU
    That's crazy. He's a good coach. I dare say Miami should have hired him instead of Golden.

CBS is reporting that UT has offered their head coaching job to Mike Gundy.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cristobal getting fired was a poor decision, but rumors are that he burnt some bridges with his heavy flirting with the Pitt job last year.

Gundy has been offered the job. If he declines, Strong will be offered the job and reports are he would consider the position but is unsure. With Gundy, I'm shocked to find out he's seriously contemplating the offer. The big issue it turns out is that he and the AD tend to butt heads a lot.

Willie Taggert will interview with Wisconsin today, and Alvarez has requested to talk to Jacksonville DC Mel Tucker about the position. Tucker played for Alvarez at Wisconsin and was a great recruiter for Ohio State from 2001 to 2004. The fear there is Tucker could leave for the pros.

Wisconsin DOES want Paul Chryst, and on the surface it seems like he'd jump at the job; grew up in Madison, played for the Badgers, coached there, but he released a statement saying he's committed to Pit

Chuck Martin, Notre Dame's OC, is the favorite to become Western Michigan Head Coach. Martin was a great coach at Grand Valley State (D2 school in Michigan)

Kent State Head Coach Darrell Hazell officially hired at Purdue. Good hire there.

I will say this, in the past 2 years, I've seen more teams actually make good decisions on who to hire than in previous years.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Latest update (as in like 2 minutes ago) reports are Gundy and Strong both say no to the Vols.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Fins4Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Strong has called a football meeting tomorrow for the team. But here's the catch: it's at 4:30 PM. Most "I've taken another job" team meetings happen in the morning or late at night.

Let's put it this way: if Charlie Strong is leaving the University of Louisville, then he spent this entire last weekend bold-faced lying to a recruit (who then promptly switched his commitment from Ole Miss to U of L because Strong said he's not leaving anytime soon) as well as players on the team (relatives of players have been telling the media that the players have been told by Strong that he's staying). From what I know about Coach Strong is that he's not classified as one of the super-narcassistic/borderline sociopathic coaches ala Todd Graham, Lane Kiffin, Bobby Petrino, or Nick Saban.

I'll go out on a limb and say that at some point tomorrow you'll hear that Charlie Strong has signed a very lucrative contract extension with the University of Louisville that makes him one of the highest paid football coaches in college, right up there with Nick Saban and Les Miles. I could be wrong, but as I said I'm going out on a limb.
    If they pay him as much as Saban, they're idiots. He's a good coach, but he ain't Saban. Hell, he ain't even Les Miles.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    Latest update (as in like 2 minutes ago) reports are Gundy and Strong both say no to the Vols.
    I'm seeing that U of L has been working on a contract extension for Strong since last night with a local law firm writing it. If Strong hasn't officially turned down the Vols, you're about to find out who is willing to pay Charlie more: Tennessee or U of L. I guarantee it's U of L.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbaucom View Post
    If they pay him as much as Saban, they're idiots. He's a good coach, but he ain't Saban. Hell, he ain't even Les Miles.
    At some point you have to take a chance. Tom Jurich wants to be a national player in football and U of L has the money to do that. The fanbase is growing (only 15 years ago we were playing our football games in a minor league baseball stadium) and he and Strong have already talked about expanding the stadium again. Strong is getting a weight room that rivals the one at UF. All Jurich needs is a coach that is willing to stay and see this thing through. If he thinks Charlie is that coach then by all means you pay him whatever you can afford. Tom Jurich is anything BUT an idiot. He's one of the best, if not the best athletic directors in the country. If you want to a seat at the big boy table then sometimes you gotta do big boy things.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Fins4Life

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Big boy things doesn't include over paying for a coach just so you have continuity. Saban is the only coach that is worth the kind of money he makes, hell he probably deserves more. And just because Jurich wants to be a national player, doesn't mean it's going to happen. They barely won the big east, and the big 10 didn't want them. The ACC was the only conference that would take them, and the ACC sucks. They're a good program, but they're not near a national power and I would think Strong would love to get in the SEC.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    to be fair, Louisville was on a good path with Petrino. Kragthorpe's couple years there REALLY put them back a few years.

And the Big 10 considered Louisville, but they were down the totem poll. The ACC move was move for b-ball purposes (though with the Big East practically dead, it's a good move)
    Quote Quote