Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the disdain for Jake Long?

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a prou
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why the disdain for Jake Long?

On a roster where we are devoid of elite talent and rebuiliding with a rookie Head Coach & QB, why are we contstantly critisising a player who has the genuine ability to be a future Hall of Famer?

I understand the counter argument, that he is not playing at an elite level, due to injuries, zone blocking scheme etc and the fact he wants top tier money.

My argument is this. If Jake Long was a player who did not play through injury and we had a rookie Right Tackle ( J Martin) starting at LT, how much would the fans be craving for the return of Jake Long? People have to remember that this guy has played through injuries when most other would not have. Not just in games that matter but games that have no meaning what so ever (Sparano).

In a contract year, Jake Long, before anybody else, would have realised he was not physically upto performing at his best this season. Yet we have heard no drama with demands for a new contract, rumours of wanting away or complaints about different schemes or having to play through injuries.

If Jake Long hits the open market, I have no doubt that franchises like the Steelers or Ravens would be clamouring after a LT, who has played elite 4/5 seasons, played through injuries, attracts no negative attention and is an ultimate team leader.

Out of any player on this roster, if you asked the question,...... which player would do you believe in, returning to his best ability after down season due to previous niggling injuries? I would come up with Jake Long immediately. I also believe most others would too.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Because one or 2 people with sway talk junk about him, and everyone else decides to pile on...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    In memoriam

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mexico City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by normaniii View Post
    On a roster where we are devoid of elite talent and rebuiliding with a rookie Head Coach & QB, why are we contstantly critisising a player who has the genuine ability to be a future Hall of Famer?

I understand the counter argument, that he is not playing at an elite level, due to injuries, zone blocking scheme etc and the fact he wants top tier money.

My argument is this. If Jake Long was a player who did not play through injury and we had a rookie Right Tackle ( J Martin) starting at LT, how much would the fans be craving for the return of Jake Long? People have to remember that this guy has played through injuries when most other would not have. Not just in games that matter but games that have no meaning what so ever (Sparano).

In a contract year, Jake Long, before anybody else, would have realised he was not physically upto performing at his best this season. Yet we have heard no drama with demands for a new contract, rumours of wanting away or complaints about different schemes or having to play through injuries.

If Jake Long hits the open market, I have no doubt that franchises like the Steelers or Ravens would be clamouring after a LT, who has played elite 4/5 seasons, played through injuries, attracts no negative attention and is an ultimate team leader.

Out of any player on this roster, if you asked the question,...... which player would do you believe in, returning to his best ability after down season due to previous niggling injuries? I would come up with Jake Long immediately. I also believe most others would too.
    Then again, Boselli never did.

The problem with Long is he's commanding an elite salary, and he's playing average to good. He's not even very good right now. And so he isn't earning his keep.

The context of course is that he's a free agent next year. Would you pay him top dollar (within a long term deal, which limits your ability to cut him later) *right now*? That's the main question.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Money is Power

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He has not been at his best but the problem that no one is thinking about is who are you going to replace him with that is better and I dont want to use our first round pick on a LT. Every team in the NFL would look at picking him up if we just let him walk, so that is saying we would be stupid to let him go.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    CrookedFin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Upstate New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Because right now he is playing like DogS_it. I can think of several instances this year where people have blown by Jake. We are lucky Tanny has not had a major injury.
    :cooldude: CrookedFin:cooldude:
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    dolphone summed it up. Hes playing like ass and he s getting paid like the best LT in the league. What john beck is doing in ATL now doesnt help either.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's a revolving door this year. No doubt I'd resign him, but to an average salary. If he thinks he's still elite, he can get his giant ego the f*** out

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is not personal but because he has proven that he can play at a high level and is paid accordingly, it is reasonable to expect him to be currently playing as an elite OT. It comes with the territory of being a #1 pick in a draft. He needs to rapidly improve or we should let him walk.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a prou
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan5876 View Post
    Because right now he is playing like DogS_it. I can think of several instances this year where people have blown by Jake. We are lucky Tanny has not had a major injury.
    Bollox....He is not playing elite, which is a far cry from playing DogS as u say. If Jake wasnt there Tanny would be far worse off!
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by normaniii View Post
    Bollox....He is not playing elite, which is a far cry from playing DogS as u say. If Jake wasnt there Tanny would be far worse off!
    Indeed, we could have the Cardinals or Bears tackles
    Quote Quote