Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the disdain for Jake Long?

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Big Jake is everything you can ask for in a player, other than he does not fit this O and is too expensive for someone who does not put points on the scoreboard. It's nothing whatsoever against him, just business in trying to win games.

IF we ran a different O, I would want to keep him at a fair contract but, we don't, and I don't.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's washed up. Dude has been flat out awful for most of the year.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphone View Post
    Then again, Boselli never did.

The problem with Long is he's commanding an elite salary, and he's playing average to good. He's not even very good right now. And so he isn't earning his keep.

The context of course is that he's a free agent next year. Would you pay him top dollar (within a long term deal, which limits your ability to cut him later) *right now*? That's the main question.
    Bingo.

The same people wanting to hand Jake Long an elite paycheck for average play are the same people who didn't want Andrew Luck based on potential.

These people have incredibly stupid agendas.

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    People keep playing the "future Hall of Famer" card in Long's defense, but he's far from a lock.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    The hate isn't for Jake Long the person it is for what Jake Long represents. He is the focal point if a failed regime and a failed philosophy that has us once again rebuilding. Every time we watch 77 with a false start or holding call it is a painful reminder we dumped a ****load of money in to a broken down player that has never been able to protect his qb from the elite edge rushers. Now 5 years later with nothing to show but a couple Popularity Bowls we are face with te decision of signing him to a even bigger contract while he goes the way of Tony Boselli or letting him walk and accepting drafting him was a 5-7 year set back.
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You have to wonder if he's ever going to be the same LT that he used to be. People asume that he'll be great again but he might not be. Anyone here old enough to remember John Offerdalh(SP?)he was a probowler his first 5 years I believe then he got hurt. Once he got hurt he kept on getting hurt. It was always something different but he never made the probowl again. We can't afford to pay him 15mill a year for him to play like crap and all the other holes we have.If it was up to me, I'd let him walk unless he's ready to play for 5 or 6 mill a year which I highly doubt he would.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would have no problem resigning Long if he was currenlty playing at the level he did the first 3 years of his career. However, due to injuries he has been on the declinge the past two years and in fact is no where close. Long is going to command a ton of $ on the FA market and I would rather prefer the Fins to not resign him to that type of contract. He also does not fit into the ZBS so why not get a T who does? I would rather move Martin back to LT, his original position, and look for another tackle in the 3rd round of the draft or sign a cheaper one than Long in FA.
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    I agree to some degree with the original poster. I am concerned about who will replace him? I want him back for top 15 salary with incentives (no penalties, no whiffs, sacks, etc.) for top five earnings. If he has been injured and is injured could he shift to the right side?
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We'd all take him at $8-9 M. But at the $15M that the franchise tag reportedly would cost, not so much. We've seen no indication that he would work with Miami on a long term deal. Maybe $50 M over 5 years? His agent is reportedly pretty aggressive.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You have to wonder if he's ever going to be the same LT that he used to be. People asume that he'll be great again but he might not be. Anyone here old enough to remember John Offerdalh(SP?)he was a probowler his first 5 years I believe then he got hurt. Once he got hurt he kept on getting hurt. It was always something different but he never made the probowl again. We can't afford to pay him 15mill a year for him to play like crap and all the other holes we have.If it was up to me, I'd let him walk unless he's ready to play for 5 or 6 mill a year which I highly doubt he would.

Ozzy rules!!
    I don't think you will see the Dolphins just let Long walk for nothing, especially in a year when the team will have around $50 million in cap space. My guess is that they will franchise him in the offseason at $15.36 million for the 2013 season. I think then they will discuss a long term contract that is lower than what he probably wants. I also think they will probably open the phones and listen to trade offers from other teams. I don't see them letting him walk for nothing when they can franchise tag him and at the very least trade him away for a 1st round pick.

Quote Quote