Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the disdain for Jake Long?

1. -21
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why the disdain for Jake Long?

Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    I don't think you will see the Dolphins just let Long walk for nothing, especially in a year when the team will have around $50 million in cap space. My guess is that they will franchise him in the offseason at $15.36 million for the 2013 season. I think then they will discuss a long term contract that is lower than what he probably wants. I also think they will probably open the phones and listen to trade offers from other teams. I don't see them letting him walk for nothing when they can franchise tag him and at the very least trade him away for a 1st round pick.
    God help my phone if I find out Jake gets tagged at $15M +
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by finomenal View Post
    God help my phone if I find out Jake gets tagged at $15M +
    Just because they tag him at $15 million doesn't mean they will have to pay him $15 million in 2013. It gives them options instead of letting him walk for nothing. They can sign him to a long term deal paying him $11-12 million a year or at the very least, not pay him at all and get a 1st round pick in return.

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I am not opposed to tagging Long.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why the disdain for Jake Long?

Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Just because they tag him at $15 million doesn't mean they will have to pay him $15 million in 2013. It gives them options instead of letting him walk for nothing. They can sign him to a long term deal paying him $11-12 million a year or at the very least, not pay him at all and get a 1st round pick in return.
    I understand what the options are. I just don't trust Ireland. He's guilty until proven innocent with me when it comes to free agency.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami Gardens
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Because he's still not Matt Ryan.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Bears would sign him in one second. See the S.F. game. He's a big leap better than what they have.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BSQ View Post
    The Bears would sign him in one second. See the S.F. game. He's a big leap better than what they have.
    The more I think about it the more I like the idea of franchising him and then trading him. (For some reason I'm having a brain fart and can't remember if we could trade him for less then what we set the franchise tag at. I think you can but am not sure and am much to lazy to look it up.) I would then try to trade him for a 2nd rounder where we could draft a RT and move Martin back to his original position at LT.

Nublar7
    I don't think you will see the Dolphins just let Long walk for nothing, especially in a year when the team will have around $50 million in cap space. My guess is that they will franchise him in the offseason at $15.36 million for the 2013 season. I think then they will discuss a long term contract that is lower than what he probably wants. I also think they will probably open the phones and listen to trade offers from other teams. I don't see them letting him walk for nothing when they can franchise tag him and at the very least trade him away for a 1st round pick.
    Hell they would probably even get a 3rd round compensatory pick if we let him walk for nothing. That is definitely better for the FO than tying up a ton of cap space for a player who doesn't fit you offensive system and can be replaced for cheaper.

Also, I keep hearing the arguement that if we lose Long that it will crate another hole that needs to be filled. However, with the way Long as been playing this year isn't LT alreay a hole?
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    IMO, an elite LT is not the reason the Dolphins can win games. We abandon the run before we have the chance to pound the football, esp with....D-Train (ugh). Doesnt matter how much protection Tannehill has, we checkdown passes because there's no one to throw it to.

If we can get a decent/serviceable LT for less pay, and find more playmakers in wideouts, linebackers, and secondary, I think the Dolphins chance of winning each and every game goes Wayyyy up.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That would be funny if Chicago can find money to sign Long with the number of top end players Chicago has that Miami doesn't have.

Chicago has Peppers, Briggs, 54, Peanut, and Jennings on D, plus, Cutler, Brandon, and Forte and can find money for Long. LOL Don't you just love Ginger? A team headed for a second straight 6-10 season, with no playmakers, and they can't find a way to make Long work. Classic.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Tatious View Post
    That would be funny if Chicago can find money to sign Long with the number of top end players Chicago has that Miami doesn't have.

Chicago has Peppers, Briggs, 54, Peanut, and Jennings on D, plus, Cutler, Brandon, and Forte and can find money for Long. LOL Don't you just love Ginger? A team headed for a second straight 6-10 season, with no playmakers, and they can't find a way to make Long work. Classic.
    This isn't about not finding a way to make it work. The fins will have around $50 million in cap space so resigning him would be easy. This is about not overpaying or not even paying at all a LT who's talent/performance has severely decreased due to injuries and doesn't fit into our offensive scheme.
    Quote Quote