Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what do we need to compete...

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

So what do we need to compete...

Lets face it this team has major holes, and they are going to get bigger in the offseason.

1st off they are going to let Long, Bush, and starks walk. Long is the hardest punch to the gut of the 3 but he hasn't earned a cent of his pay check this season. I dont know if he is hurt or just isnt a good zone blocker but he is a shadow of himself from years 1, 2, and 3. The hardest part about it is that we should have traded him and gotten something from him, now we either franchise him or let him walk (the final nail in the coffin of ANYONE WHO EVER AGREED with his pick over Ryan)...

As far as bush goes, I would much rather have him catching passes out of the backfield than rushing up the middle. He did well earlier in the season and he can probably break a few more but the up the gut running ship has sailed. Use him as a back field weapon, line him up in the slot for mismatches and see how he does. If he can be had cheap enough keep him because HE HAS TALENT AND SKILL, something this team is sadly lacking.

Starks is playing great but we have enough decent DTs to plug in his spot. He will be missed.

So now what about our needs in the off season. I rank them as 2 WRs (i was for getting rid of marshall and i was wrong, admit it), 2 CBs (i was for the vonte trade but I knew smith was afraid of contact, smith is just a small bit better than davis and still crap), 1 DE, pass catching TE, and linemen that can zone block.

So why WRs over defense? Because to win you need to score points. The NFL has changed the rules and encourages you to throw the ball 40-50 times a game. Look at Stafford he has a 5k season. Brees has 2. To put that into perspective Jim Kelly never had a 4k season and John Elway only had 1 in his entire career. We need better receivers so when they jam 2 at the line we have 2 more running up the sidelines in single coverage. Look at the patriots game last night, look at the redskins last night. I want that vertical passing game to go along with the west coast short passing game. That and if you have the passing threat that pulls people off the LOS rbs like Bush become much more dangerous in the passing game and can run easier too. You need to score points to win games, and corners and DEs dont score enough points. This is where trading marshall away was dumb.

Next corners. In a passing league you need to be able to defend the pass. Since you arent allowed to touch the QBs any more and we are a few years away from a glorified 7 on 7 game lets get some CBs that can actually cover. Obviously in a zone defense you have different needs than man to man, but we still need to be able to jam a WR with the last name johnson at the line and then cover him. you know you have a problem if a rookie can pick your zone apart on 3rd down 75% of the time...that and I want someone who wants to hit a wr...

What do you think?

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Odessa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wish you were the GM!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To put it simply, Miami needs a couple of elite players. It's obvious that we need wide receivers, a seam busting tight end, and help in the secondary. But, I'd still get a pass rusher first. That is the strength of this draft and pressuring the passer is the only way to make qb's like Tom Brady look somewhat ordinary. Get that pass rusher, then concentrate on wide receivers and secondary help. I also agree that the Dolphins will let Reggie Bush go. Jake Long is probably 50/50 depending on whether or not he is willing to take a fair contract. I really, really hope the team signs Randy Starks. We have the money to spend and the draft picks so it's vital that the team makes the right choices.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What do we need to compete? A competent GM

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo
    You can all hate on Jake Long all you want (he is still a great LT even if he isnt his usual self) but he wont be going anywhere, you will just have to come to terms with it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    You can all hate on Jake Long all you want (he is still a great LT even if he isnt his usual self) but he wont be going anywhere, you will just have to come to terms with it.
    I don't hate Jake Long but to call him a "great LT" after the year he's having is really streaching it. He's having a bad year. It's been sad to see him get pushed around the way he has. He's playing like an average LT and he shouldn't been asking for top money when he's not playing like a top player.That's not hate, it's just a reality.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can't let Long walk. Re-building teams can't afford to open a hole at such a key position. Starks is also too good to not bring back. Are we (a sub-.500 team) so cap-pressed to let go of good solid NFL starters? I don't get it.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: So what do we need to compete...

You build a winning team by keeping your good players and building around them. If you want to see long term progress you dnt let the likes of Starks or Long leave.
    Im selling a club level ticket to the Dolphins v Raiders in London - will sell it for below face value. PM me if your interested.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    MIA#1

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bush is the only player i see that prob going to leave only because miller would replace him, starks has to be kept and for long idk whats his issue but he has been playing str8 garbage this year but its a hole we cant just give away our o-line still a mess
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Starks better not go anywhere. Total failure if they let him walk. Long and Bush, on the other hand, can take a hike.

Long hasn't only been playing like garbage this year. He was **** last year too. Blame it on the injury or whatever you want, it doesn't change the fact that he isn't worth anywhere near what he's going to be asking for and he fits in this offense about as well as a ****ty kicker fits in Sparano's.

Quote Quote