Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time To Look At The Phins 2010 Draft?

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17

Time To Look At The Phins 2010 Draft?

The standard rule is that it takes three years to evaluate a team's draft. To be fair, this Dolphins draft is more difficult to do because of injuries, coaching changes, and position changes.

#1 Odrick- Played DT in College, missed his rookie year with injury, split time as a 3-4 DE in his second year and was around average. This year, moves to 4-3 DE and has not played well. He has looked like a potential bust but, should be given another year before being given that label.

#2 Misi- Played DE in College, 3-4 OLB as a rookie (playing well), and sat behind JT in his second year. This year, switched to 4-3 OLB and has looked pretty good. Appears to be at least a solid pick.

#3 Jerry- Missed a lot of time with injury his rookie year, got some playing time his second year, and showed some flashes. This year, was out of shape but has looked around average as the starting RG. So far, a fair pick.

#4 Edds- History

#5 Carroll- Showed some good flashes as a rookie, not so in his second year. This year, has been inconsistent, with more bad then good. He has played well on ST's, and a pretty fair pick for a 5th rounder.

#5 Jones- Did not play a lot as a rookie, and did not look good in his second year at FS. This year, looks like a Stud at SS. Great pick and value in the 5th round.

#7 McCoy- History

#7 Spitler- Backup MLB and a good ST's player. Good pick for a 7th rounder.

So far, I would say this was a fair/average draft overall, and could get better.

Opinions?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Very ho hum, in the sense that you don't have any real stars. The best picks, thus far, are easily Jones and Misi. Misi is playing VERY well this year, and to say otherwise is flat out wrong. He's getting off his blocks, his tracking his runner and he's taking away the best angles. Oh, and he's athletic as well. Happy with his performance and play.

Odrick is meant for the 4-3 DT position and when he's played it, he's looked good. DE, not so much. The issue is that he's still behind the man he was drafted to replace, and the man who Odrick will likely not live up to matching. Starks is a fantastic 3-4 DE and a very good 4-3 DT. He's sadly going to walk, and we will plug in Odrick. It won't match production but it'll be cheaper than Starks and the drop off may not even be noticed.

Jerry is a bust at this point for me. So many coaching staffs have been unable to get his potential. If one more o-line coach tells me that he's a stud and he "just needs to do x" to realize it, I'll go nuts. You have to give up potential for production at some point.

All in all, Odrick at the 4-3 DT position once Starks is gone + Misi starting + Carrol improving or at least stop regressing... you've got 2 solid starters and 1 very quality depth player. That's not great. That's a C/C- draft.

If Jerry could live up to his potential and play "well" versus just inconsistent that'd raise this draft to a B-.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    Very ho hum, in the sense that you don't have any real stars. The best picks, thus far, are easily Jones and Misi. Misi is playing VERY well this year, and to say otherwise is flat out wrong. He's getting off his blocks, his tracking his runner and he's taking away the best angles. Oh, and he's athletic as well. Happy with his performance and play.

Odrick is meant for the 4-3 DT position and when he's played it, he's looked good. DE, not so much. The issue is that he's still behind the man he was drafted to replace, and the man who Odrick will likely not live up to matching. Starks is a fantastic 3-4 DE and a very good 4-3 DT. He's sadly going to walk, and we will plug in Odrick. It won't match production but it'll be cheaper than Starks and the drop off may not even be noticed.

Jerry is a bust at this point for me. So many coaching staffs have been unable to get his potential. If one more o-line coach tells me that he's a stud and he "just needs to do x" to realize it, I'll go nuts. You have to give up potential for production at some point.

All in all, Odrick at the 4-3 DT position once Starks is gone + Misi starting + Carrol improving or at least stop regressing... you've got 2 solid starters and 1 very quality depth player. That's not great. That's a C/C- draft.

If Jerry could live up to his potential and play "well" versus just inconsistent that'd raise this draft to a B-.
    I'm a big Misi fan, and agree that he played VERY well in the first 5-6 games but has dropped off in the last 4-5 games. I do expect him to be VERY good by next season.

We on the same page as this being an average draft with some good picks. For me, it's more difficult than most drafts to grade because of the injuries and changes. I think this one may take another year.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Not Even Lazor Can Save Us

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would call it an abject failure given the HoF caliber talent that the 2nd day produced. Navorro Bowman, Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham for starters. Then people like Antonio Brown, Cam Chancellor, Geno Atkins, Aaron Hernandez were available. Everyone here was high on all of these picks. Too bad the FO wasn't.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Very blah
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    I forgot to add that this draft was half of the Marshall trade, giving up one of our 2nd rounders, and the trade down which allowed us to get Odrick and Misi in place of a FS in Earl Thomas.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Jones is the only one worth a damn, he's a top SS this year. Playing lights out.

Odrick is out of position again. He's a 4-3 DT. I'll wait on judgement until he plays his correct position.

Deshaun Watson is the TRUTH!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This draft summarizes the Dolphins perfectly. Safe picks over playmakers. Come to Finheaven in February 2010, and this board was universally salivating over Jimmy Graham as a third round pick. Some even speculated he could go late first or high second. And the "play-it-safe" crowd in the Miami organization picked John Jerry who had an adequate senior season but his college career was littered with bouts of laziness and uninspired play despite his physical gifts at his size. If you took a poll here, we wanted Graham, end of story. It would be rather revisionist to say we wanted Gronkowski given his back history etc, but Graham was someone this board identified. Aaron Hernandez was another guy people here wanted, and he didn't go until the 4th.

Similarly, Jared Odrick was not an inspired pick. I'm not as down on Odrick as some. I actually think he is a solid player, when he is lined up in the right position. Because of Miami's lack of 4-3 ends with burst, Odrick is mis-cast this year as a 4-3 end. As a 4.9 speed guy who plays tall with little change of direction ability, he is just not going to get to the quarterback. As a 4-3 tackle, he will probably be solid. But this is a kid we just didn't need to draft when we already had success with Starks, Kendall Langford et al. Earl Thomas was on the board, and he was exactly the type of kid we needed.

Misi is turning into a helluva player.

Reshad Jones was a great value pick, any way you slice it.

Carroll has shown flashes of really good play. He's a good athlete and it's possible he may still get better. His first rate athleticism always gets him near the ball, but his lack of balance sometimes costs him in finishing. He may get past that.

But if you want to defend Ireland, you can point to Odrick, Misi, and Reshad Jones as three starting caliber players, with Carroll and Jerry actually starting as well. You could give that a B. But when you look at Miami's low "toxic differential" (per Brian Billick), you can see this is the archetype draft of why Miami doesn't win games. Lack of big plays.

If we took Thomas, you could argue that we couldn't get Misi, and that's a fair point. But then you have to factor in that we traded for Brandon Marshall, a known malcontent, and then got rid of him because...surprise!...he ended up being a malcontent. Just keep our picks, and not trade for Marshall, and you come out of this draft with Thomas, Misi, Jimmy Graham, Reshad Jones, Nolan Carroll. Now that is the kind of drafting this franchise needs. Can Ireland figure that out, or do we go in a different direction with all the empty orange seats in the stadium? Either way, let's hope they use the 2010 draft as a primer on what is wrong with this franchise's thinking.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jones is a great pick, period. He's playing near a top level with lapses of sheer idiocy (Ty Hilton catching that TD over him) but that comes with experience.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    Jones is a great pick, period. He's playing near a top level with lapses of sheer idiocy (Ty Hilton catching that TD over him) but that comes with experience.
    That was a stupid doh play
    Quote Quote