Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time To Look At The Phins 2010 Draft?

1. -21
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-tabs:d.../dt-by-round-input:1

Here's the round by round draft to see who we could have taken, both better and worse.

I remember that Miami was interested in TE Graham but, thought he would be there in the 4th round. For me, I wanted Kindle in the 1st round, and REALLY wanted him in the 2nd when he was still available. Wonder how that may have worked out.
    Looks like Odrick was the worst player taken in the first round that year. Swell.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Overall I'd say it was very much the draft of a 7-9 / 6-10 team

Edds they were probably unlucky with given the bad injury he had, Jones has played well this year, Carroll had a nightmare the other day but he was steady before then

It's the first few picks (where you need to have difference-makers) that this draft failed. I had no problem with picking the DT in the first if he was as good as advertiised but he simply isn't very good wherever he's played
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can see the OP must be an Ireland fan to be rating that draft fair.....lol.......bet lets back track a little bit here. He messed up the draft even before the draft started by trading his 2 round pick plus another 2nd for Marshall. Then he "tried" to cover his mistake by making a trade so he could get the 2nd round pick back. By doing that he missed on drafting a much needed playmaker at Safety and instead drafted a position which was the strongest we had on the team.Then knowing we needed a playmaking TE he decided not to draft one at all and passed on at least 2 that could end up in the HOF. Like other have said, he made 1 single good move in that draft(Jones)and that was it. I still can't believe that he drafted yet another lineman in that draft with the first pick when that was about the last thing we needed.Think about it. You win by making plays. When you combine the plays all those guys have made for us since 2010, how many plays do you come up with?

Ireland messed up that draft big time and he'll do it again if he's still here in april.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    The standard rule is that it takes three years to evaluate a team's draft. To be fair, this Dolphins draft is more difficult to do because of injuries, coaching changes, and position changes.

#1 Odrick- Played DT in College, missed his rookie year with injury, split time as a 3-4 DE in his second year and was around average. This year, moves to 4-3 DE and has not played well. He has looked like a potential bust but, should be given another year before being given that label.

#2 Misi- Played DE in College, 3-4 OLB as a rookie (playing well), and sat behind JT in his second year. This year, switched to 4-3 OLB and has looked pretty good. Appears to be at least a solid pick.

#3 Jerry- Missed a lot of time with injury his rookie year, got some playing time his second year, and showed some flashes. This year, was out of shape but has looked around average as the starting RG. So far, a fair pick.

#4 Edds- History

#5 Carroll- Showed some good flashes as a rookie, not so in his second year. This year, has been inconsistent, with more bad then good. He has played well on ST's, and a pretty fair pick for a 5th rounder.

#5 Jones- Did not play a lot as a rookie, and did not look good in his second year at FS. This year, looks like a Stud at SS. Great pick and value in the 5th round.

#7 McCoy- History

#7 Spitler- Backup MLB and a good ST's player. Good pick for a 7th rounder.

So far, I would say this was a fair/average draft overall, and could get better.

Opinions?
    our biggest problem is a lack of explosive playmakers on either side of the ball and this draft didn't provide any. AAlso disappointing that our first rounder from this draft doesn't look like a hit at this point...
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I can see the OP must be an Ireland fan to be rating that draft fair.....lol.......bet lets back track a little bit here. He messed up the draft even before the draft started by trading his 2 round pick plus another 2nd for Marshall. Then he "tried" to cover his mistake by making a trade so he could get the 2nd round pick back. By doing that he missed on drafting a much needed playmaker at Safety and instead drafted a position which was the strongest we had on the team.Then knowing we needed a playmaking TE he decided not to draft one at all and passed on at least 2 that could end up in the HOF. Like other have said, he made 1 single good move in that draft(Jones)and that was it. I still can't believe that he drafted yet another lineman in that draft with the first pick when that was about the last thing we needed.Think about it. You win by making plays. When you combine the plays all those guys have made for us since 2010, how many plays do you come up with?

Ireland messed up that draft big time and he'll do it again if he's still here in april.

Ozzy rules!!
    lol. I don't love or hate Ireland. I think he's fair/average, same as the team, and same as this draft. I do remember, for sure, that Tuna told Ireland to get him a 2nd round pick that year. So, Tuna was making final decisions until 2011.

We had Starks, Langford, McD, and Merling at that time, the same type of players as Pee Wee, and they did well the year before. We also had Feg retiring, Soliai looking like a huge bust, and failed to get a NT in FA. The plan was to have Starks play NT, which depleted our rotation at 3-4 DE. I did not like the Odrick pick but, the position was not as good or deep at the time, compared to what it turned out to be.

Getting 6 of 8 NFL players, with 4 NFL starters 3 years later, was not a bad draft. It just lacked the play maker to make it above fair, and what Phans so desperately wanted.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
    That was a stupid doh play
    LOL why did someone UNTHANK you for this post? Did they think it was a great play!?
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Looks like Odrick was the worst player taken in the first round that year. Swell.
    That's not really fair. He's certainly got the most left to prove, but I think if he is placed in the position Randy Starks currently is in, he will shine. I do NOT see Randy Starks in him - Odrick does not have the quick feet and underneath move that Starks does, which directly leads to his abusing centers and heaven forbid for the other team, power running guards, but Odrick has strong hand placement, he holds his gap, and he's great at arm tackles.

He's not going to pressure the QB as much as Starks does though. Starks not only pushes his man back, he typically disrupts and gets a hand in the face of the QB, requiring him to shuffle in and out of his pocket. That gives DEs a solid chance of sacks or strips.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    I remember wanting dez bryant, brandon graham or dan williams.

with the exception of bryant, I'd say I'd be just as sour on graham or williams as some are with odrick. Odrick has shown at times he can get the job done, and other times he seems like he's going backwards. IMO, to make the thread as accurate as possible, we need to evaluate only who is left after our odrick pick to come to a conclusion how bad the pick was, because after the trade, there was simply not going to be a gresham, earl thomas, JPP drafting.... It was guys who were left on the board that were available...guys like patrick robinson, jerry hughes, javhid best, and kyle wilson. and maybe a few picks from the top of the 2nd round.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thank the lord we didn't draft Jerry Hughes. At least Odrick lets us run stuff. Hughes is absolutely worthless.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    sorry, everytime someone wants to examine a draft and say "this draft sucks because we don't have any stars etc" I think back to a wonderful study datruth did in examining drafts over a 5 year period. Upon closer review he found that anything over 40 percent player retention and 1 to 2 impact players was a good to excellent draft. If jones is a bonifide top 10 safety and we keep 4 or 5 guys from that draft on the team as starters, then 2010 was a success.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote