Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A loop hole in that dumb challenge rule

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

A loop hole in that dumb challenge rule

So I have just became aware of the ridiculous rule that went against the falcons last week and the lions today that you can't throw a challenge flag on a play that's already going to be reviewed or you get a penalty and lose the chance at getting it reviewed. First of all this might be the dumbest rule I have ever heard of in my life. The refs made the mistake of not blowing the whistle and giving the texans a free td but then the coach is punished by wanting to challenge the refs mentally retarded mistake. Anyways here is my question. What if the dolphins score a td that we all know is going to be overturned. Even philbin knows it Why not throw the challenge flag on your own touch down to make it so it is not reviewable Is there a rule that prevents it? Anyways the rule is really dumb and I want to punch rodger in the face for ruining the nfl year after year
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Odessa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
    So I have just became aware of the ridiculous rule that went against the falcons last week and the lions today that you can't throw a challenge flag on a play that's already going to be reviewed or you get a penalty and lose the chance at getting it reviewed. First of all this might be the dumbest rule I have ever heard of in my life. The refs made the mistake of not blowing the whistle and giving the texans a free td but then the coach is punished by wanting to challenge the refs mentally retarded mistake. Anyways here is my question. What if the dolphins score a td that we all know is going to be overturned. Even philbin knows it Why not throw the challenge flag on your own touch down to make it so it is not reviewable Is there a rule that prevents it? Anyways the rule is really dumb and I want to punch rodger in the face for ruining the nfl year after year
    That would be sweet. Use the loophole to your advantage! I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    Watch Mark buttfumble get a starting job somewhere next season and outplay Tannehill.
    buttfumble would take the Bengals to the playoffs guaranteed. He would actually be a good fit for them. I think they could be a legit contender if they signed a good game manager type at QB who can get the ball downfield when the running game is going.
    Sherman is a ****ing beast.
    Jesus. I ALWAYS thought we could win with Tannehill.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know... good question though. But since in your scenario its us, I bet it wouldn't work.

This year the refs seem terrible though, should've just let the replacements get better at it

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

The refs did their jobs correctly by enforcing the rule, but yes, the rule is terrible.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Unfortunately its all done to keep the pace of the game moving.Its the same as if throwing out the challenge flag when its on a plya that cant be challenged.They need to fix this rule,it really makes the nfl look dumb.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nice thinking but I doubt it would work because you have to tell them what you're challenging.

I don't mind the rule as is, if the head coach of a professional football team can't grasp simple rules then he deserves to get screwed out of a TD.

Oh yeah, it was especially sweet that it happened to that douche schwartz after he called Harbaugh an idiot last season during the handshake gate game for doing the same thing. That was even better than the Jets getting embarrassed for me.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The head coach is responsible for knowing the rules. All scoring plays are automatically reviewed. There was no need for him to throw the challenge flag in that situation. Had he known the rules and been a little more patient, this would not have happened. The TD would have been reversed on the review of the play.
    [SIGPIC]The cynic knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing
    -Oscar Wilde
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Sopwith Camel Pilot

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aviano, Italy
    Thanks / No Thanks

It's a terrible rule that will most likely be modified to allow the review but enforce the 15 yards.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    It's a terrible rule that will most likely be modified to allow the review but enforce the 15 yards.
    Really just costing the team a challenge and timeout is probably penalty enough.

What they should do is overhaul the whole system, get rid of the red hankies and just have a few guys in the booth deciding what needs to overturned. Maybe get the ref involved under the hood only on critical plays. Think about it, we've already seen the replay 15 times and the announcers can usually tell if it'll be overturned or not before the ref even gets to the hood. Its a lot better than it used to be but there is still definitely room for improvement.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Looking to score!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    College review rules have been working great for years. I'm surprised that is not suggested more often.
    Quote Quote