Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: UN Official Calls for Marijuana Ballot Rollback

1. -21
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    Exactly.

1 out of 8 are in jail for MJ, most all are in state and local jails. Leave it for the locals and states to continue putting potheads in jail along the lines of prohibition in NC...if a county wants to be dry they pay to enforce it.

But there won't be some great weight lifted off the federal budget. If legalized, the 5000 DEA agents and resources would be split into the ATF (or just now just DF, Drugs and Firearms) and IRS for revenue collection, Immigration and Customs to continue the fight against smuggling, FDA regarding illegal prescription drug use, etc.
    Jeffery Miron, Harvard Econ. Prof.;

In our recent study, just released by the Cato Institute, we estimate the impact of legalization on federal, state, and local budgets. The report concludes that drug legalization would reduce government expenditure about $41.3 billion annually. Roughly $25.7 billion of this savings would accrue to state and local governments, and roughly $15.6 billion to the federal government. About $8.7 billion of the savings would result from legalization of marijuana, $20 billion from legalization of cocaine and heroin, and $12.6 billion from legalization of all other drugs.
    Legalization would also generate tax revenue of roughly $46.7 billion annually if drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco. About $8.7 billion of this revenue would result from legalization of marijuana, $32.6 billion from legalization of cocaine and heroin, and $5.5 billion from legalization of all other drugs.

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...galizing-drugs
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Neat site, Cato's sold me on it...decriminalize all drugs, abolish Department of Education, Transportation, Energy, et al as well as Social Security, right to work laws, and vast privatization of government. Extend all the Bush tax cuts but not sold on eventually replacing with a regressive consumption tax.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    Neat site, Cato's sold me on it...decriminalize all drugs, abolish Department of Education, Transportation, Energy, et al as well as Social Security, right to work laws, and vast privatization of government. Extend all the Bush tax cuts but not sold on eventually replacing with a regressive consumption tax.
    Relax. I'm just suggesting it might have been more of a financial relief than you had maybe first thought.

Also, I do believe all drugs should be legal.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    '72 Perfection!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's only a matter of time before pot is legal in America. You can take that to the bank.

---------- Post added at 05:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    2 States have (at the moment) legalized it. Another 18 have made it medically legal.
    Which states are those?
    Any time you try to win everything, you must be willing to lose everything. Larry Csonka

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    [QUOTE=rob19;1064508762]Relax. I'm just suggesting it might have been more of a financial relief than you had maybe first thought.

Also, I do believe all drugs should be legal.[/QUOTE]

Going by that logic, should all firearms be legal? Can't just pick and choose in the Constitution ya know

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A&O View Post
    It's only a matter of time before pot is legal in America. You can take that to the bank.

---------- Post added at 05:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

Which states are those?
    Colorado and Washington legalized it for recreational use during the last election...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    [QUOTE=MoFinz;1064508927]
    Relax. I'm just suggesting it might have been more of a financial relief than you had maybe first thought.

Also, I do believe all drugs should be legal.[/QUOTE]

Going by that logic, should all firearms be legal? Can't just pick and choose in the Constitution ya know
    All firearms are legal?

You can own any piece of firearm there is.

SAMMY WATKINS IS THE BEST WR IN THE COUNTRY & FUTURE MIAMI DOLPHIN!
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    If people meet the criteria for owning said weapon, have permits, & are subjected to background checks, then I have no problem with that.

I also believe prostitution & gambling should be legal.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Also, I do believe all drugs should be legal.
    Whats not to like from Cato's arguements? For instance for starters, getting of a government entity that wasn't started until the 70's, whose budget has exploded exponentily and influence on the local and state level has grown tremendously that even if states wanted to change their policies there's a lot of money putting up a firewall, and seems really bi-partisan in its failure and as the President stated is a danger of our kids future...so why shouldn't we abolish the Department of Education.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Colorado and Washington legalized it for recreational use during the last election...
    Won't this just mean the state and locals are going to be replaced by federalies for enforcement. As recent history suggests with illegal immigration, just because states may want something doesn't mean the federal government's not going to allow them to have it without a fight.
    Quote Quote