Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: UN Official Calls for Marijuana Ballot Rollback

1. -31
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    Whats not to like from Cato's arguements? For instance for starters, getting of a government entity that wasn't started until the 70's, whose budget has exploded exponentily and influence on the local and state level has grown tremendously that even if states wanted to change their policies there's a lot of money putting up a firewall, and seems really bi-partisan in its failure and as the President stated is a danger of our kids future...so why shouldn't we abolish the Department of Education.
    What does the legalization of drugs have to do with the Department of Education?

Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon
    Won't this just mean the state and locals are going to be replaced by federalies for enforcement. As recent history suggests with illegal immigration, just because states may want something doesn't mean the federal government's not going to allow them to have it without a fight.

Perhaps to a degree, but not to the extent that local departments are able to enforce. The Feds may bust in on a few pot shops (as evidenced in California), because they're easy standing-targets, but that's about the extent of it.

I agree that the Feds will fight this thing till the bitter end, but I believe the legalization process is a slow-moving inevitability.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    Won't this just mean the state and locals are going to be replaced by federalies for enforcement. As recent history suggests with illegal immigration, just because states may want something doesn't mean the federal government's not going to allow them to have it without a fight.
    I suppose that's possible. There are too many variables to predict what's going to happen. The stigma on marijuana is getting weaker by the day, so it's also possible the feds just don't spend the money needed to enforce it...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: UN Official Calls for Marijuana Ballot Rollback

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I suppose that's possible. There are too many variables to predict what's going to happen. The stigma on marijuana is getting weaker by the day, so it's also possible the feds just don't spend the money needed to enforce it...
    The greater the enforcement, the greater the price of drugs, the more people will be willing to risk to distribute them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    If people meet the criteria for owning said weapon, have permits, & are subjected to background checks, then I have no problem with that.

I also believe prostitution & gambling should be legal.
    Good man. My only problem with all the precursors to gun ownership is all the hoops. I believe in a background check to weed out violent felons and people with mental illness, but our constitution says nothing about having to meet all those criteria for gun ownership.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If people meet the criteria for owning said weapon, have permits, & are subjected to background checks, then I have no problem with that.

I also believe prostitution & gambling should be legal.
    For the purpose of argument, what justification can you offer for someone having to get a permit and being forced to submit to an intrusive background check so they can exercise a right guaranteed by the Constitution?
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: UN Official Calls for Marijuana Ballot Rollback

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    The greater the enforcement, the greater the price of drugs, the more people will be willing to risk to distribute them.

You know what, I misread the comment that I was commenting on...please ignore this.

Quote Quote  

7. -37
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Steamboat Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think the UN has ever had much sway on our intra-republic politics. This time will be no different.

Reshad "GET IT ON" Jones
    gettin it on!
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    For the purpose of argument, what justification can you offer for someone having to get a permit and being forced to submit to an intrusive background check so they can exercise a right guaranteed by the Constitution?
    Outside of common sense regulation for convicted criminals & the mentally ill, it wouldn't be denying anyone anything; it'd only be an inconvenience.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Outside of common sense regulation for convicted criminals & the mentally ill, it wouldn't be denying anyone anything; it'd only be an inconvenience.
    Background checks are intrusive by nature and invade people's privacy. Surely you wouldn't agree that people who want to use marijuana should be subject to a background check, yet the use of marijuana isn't specifically protected by the Constitution whereas the right to own guns is.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Background checks are intrusive by nature and invade people's privacy. Surely you wouldn't agree that people who want to use marijuana should be subject to a background check, yet the use of marijuana isn't specifically protected by the Constitution whereas the right to own guns is.
    Well, weed can't be used to kill someone so its kinda apple and oranges. Things that have potential to kill others definitely deserve more regulation than harmless plants. Even from a libertarian point of view that still holds true since the philosophy calls for laws and such for actions and things that cause harm.

Quote Quote