Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 CB FOR 2013 nfl draft

1. -1
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield

Top 5 CB FOR 2013 nfl draft

1... DeMarcus Milliner*, CB, Alabama
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 182.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
    Projected Round (2013): Top 20.

11/10/12: Milliner was having a tremendous season, but his play has cooled off as of late. He didn't play as well against Mississippi State and LSU. Milliner allowed a number of receptions, was called for penalties and had some missed tackles. However those games weren't a complete failure as he wasn't burned for any scores and had a blocked kick with some good tackles.

Milliner had a great game against Ole Miss with an interception, half of a sack and four passes broken up. He had two tackles and a pass broken up versus Arkansas a couple weeks earlier. The junior almost had an interception with a long return, but it was ruled that he had trapped the ball.

Milliner was dominant against Michigan in Week 1. He broke up four passes, had five tackles and returned an interception 35 yards. Milliner's one mistake came when he lost his footing and fell down in man coverage. That allowed his receiver to get wide open for a score.

Milliner is third in the nation with total passes defensed with 15. He has 24 tackles, two interceptions and 13 passes broken up. Milliner is probably the best man-to-man cover corner prospect for the 2013 NFL Draft, and, as a result, he is rated at the top of his position.

9/1/12: Milliner really played well in 2011 and did a good job as teams threw his direction more to avoid cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick. With Kirkpatrick and DeQuan Menzie in the NFL, Milliner will take on a bigger role in 2012 as a full-time starter. He had 27 tackles with three interceptions and nine pases broken up in 2011. Milliner led the Crimson Tide defense in interceptions, and he played extremely well overall as the nickelback.

Milliner had 55 tackles with four tackles for a loss, seven passes broken up, one forced fumble and one interception as a freshman. He has good size and speed like all of the recent Alabama defensive backs. Milliner could have a breakout season in college football and rise high in the cornerback rankings.

2... Xavier Rhodes*, CB, Florida State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
    Projected Round (2013): Top 20.

11/10/12: Rhodes passed what will likely be his biggest test of the season against Clemson. The redshirt junior didn't play a lights-out game in coverage against the Tigers' dynamic duo, Watkins and Hopkins, but he was solid and kept either of them from big plays when he went against them in man coverage.

Florida State mixed in zone and man assignments, so Rhodes did not have to go against Sammy Watkins and DeAndre Hopkins exclusively in man coverage. Hopkins had 88 yards on five receptions, but 60 came on one touchdown reception against zone coverage where the safety failed to pick him up running down the field. Watkins had 24 yards on six receptions. Rhodes finished with three tackles and a pass breakup against Clemson.

Rhodes has totaled 25 tackles with six passes broken up and two interceptions this season, but teams have mostly avoided him.

9/1/12: Rhodes was consistent as a cover corner last year, so teams threw away from him. The sophomore had 43 tackles with an interception and four passes broken up.

Rhodes had an interesting conclusion to 2011. He was matched up against Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd and put together a phenomenal tape for NFL evaluators.

While providing blanket coverage against Floyd, one of the best receivers in the nation, Rhodes went down in a multi-player collision in the second half. He sustained a knee strain and was held out of the end of the game. Prior to Rhodes' injury, Floyd had only three catches for 22 yards.

Rhodes made an immediate impact for Florida State breaking into the lineup as a redshirt freshman. He recorded 58 tackles, four interceptions and 12 passes broken up, along with being named the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Rhodes is a big cornerback who is very physical with receivers. He does a good job in press man coverage. Off the snap, Rhodes limits the release with a strong jam and rerouting skills. He has the speed and athletic ability to run with receivers after the jam.

Against Floyd, Rhodes showed the ability to match up with an elite receiver. Floyd couldn't beat Rhodes with speed or size. He is a good run defender who is capable of putting on some nice hits on ball-carriers

3...Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 185.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
    Projected Round (2013): 1.

11/10/12: Banks has totaled 45 tackles, four interceptions and five passes broken up so far in 2012. He had an excellent game against Auburn with two interceptions. They came in the second quarter and helped the Bulldogs pull away from the Tigers.

In the following weeks, Banks had some great games. He had huge performances against Tennessee and Middle Tennessee State, but he injured his knee in the latter. That injury has lingered, yet Banks has continued to play. The knee seemed to be slowing him down against Alabama and Texas A&M as he wasn't his normal play-making self.

9/1/12: Banks has been a three-year contributor for the Bulldogs. Playing in the SEC, he is already experienced and battle-tested entering his senior year. Banks had 33 tackles and four interceptions as a freshman, including two pick-sixs against Tim Tebow in a near upset of a No. 1-ranked Florida team.

Banks totaled 54 tackles with three interceptions as a sophomore. He had 71 tackles with five interceptions, three sacks, three forced fumbles and nine passes broken last season.

It wouldn't be surprising if Banks' numbers decline as a senior since teams will probably avoid throwing at him. He has a nice combination of size, speed and athleticism. Banks may fit best in a zone-based system in the NFL.

4... David Amerson*, CB, North Carolina State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
    Projected Round (2013): 1.

11/10/12: Amerson had a rough first week of the season as he was beaten for a 41-yard touchdown and a 72-yard touchdown by Tennessee's dangerous passing attack. He recovered from those two early mistakes and played better for the rest of the game.

Amerson had an ugly performance versus Miami as he was beaten for two touchdowns in man coverage. He had interceptions in three straight games prior to that against the Citadel, South Alabama and Connecticut. Amerson has totaled 38 tackles, four interceptions and five passes broken up in 2012. His stock has fallen.

9/1/12: Amerson has a special skill set with size, speed and ball skills. He was simply phenomenal in 2011. Amerson totaled 13 interceptions to lead the nation. That set both school and ACC records since it was the second highest total in FBS history. He also had 59 tackles with five passes broken up. The All-American started nine games as a true freshman in 2010 and had zero interceptions with 57 tackles and a forced fumble.

When the ball is in the air, Amerson is extremely aggressive. He looks like a natural wide receiver with his hands and body control. Meanwhile, his innate ball skills are extremely rare.

Amerson played some safety in high school and should be able to play the position in the NFL if a team wants to move him there. That may be considered if he fills out his frame and gets bigger as he ages.

Teams will avoid throwing in Amerson's direction this season, so it will be hard for him to lead the nation in interceptions again. If he plays well in his best matchups against talented receivers (Tennessee and Clemson) that should help offset the drop in interceptions

5... Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
    Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

11/10/12: Poyer has been playing really well as a senior. He had a great start against Wisconsin. Poyer had three tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and a pass broken up to help the Beavers upset the Badgers. He had three interceptions against Washington State. Poyer missed the game versus Arizona State with a sprained posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. The senior is practicing and projected to play against Stanford.

Poyer has totaled 27 tackles, five interceptions, three tackles for a loss, one forced fumble, one sack and three passes broken up so far in 2012.

9/1/12: Poyer has been an impact player for Oregon State the past few seasons on defense and special teams. He had his best year with 57 tackles, four interceptions and 12 passes broken up last season. The junior also averaged 22.7 yards per kick return and 14.1 yards per punt return.

Poyer had 34 tackles, two interceptions and four passes broken up as a sophomore in 2010. He averaged 27 yards per kick return and 9.5 yards per punt return.

Poyer has steadily improved his coverage as a cornerback and could rise up higher with a strong 2012 season. He is a good athlete and played some baseball for the Beavers before deciding to focus on football. Poyer is a talented prospect with upside

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013CB.php
    Last edited by ROADRUNNER; 11-27-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Helens, Or
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Poyer is very interesting. A local (to me) kid, he plays with a chip on his shoulder. The only issue I have is this season he has played mostly nickle corner instead of man.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Looks like Rhodes is finally getting his due. I guess mocking him in Round 2 is optimistic.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Walterfootball made a big mistake assuming that teams were going to avoid throwing at Amerson. To the contrary, teams were anxious to expose him in transition, which is what I figured was in store for him.

It's interesting that he pointed towards the games vs. Tennessee and Clemson. Tennessee couldn't jump on him fast enough to open the season.... he was torched by Patterson and Zach Rogers. DeAndre Hopkins smoked him in their matchup with Clemson. The two sophomore receivers for Miami, Rashawn Scott and Phillip Dorsett abused him all game.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Walterfootball made a big mistake assuming that teams were going to avoid throwing at Amerson. To the contrary, teams were anxious to expose him in transition, which is what I figured was in store for him.

It's interesting that he pointed towards the games vs. Tennessee and Clemson. Tennessee couldn't jump on him fast enough to open the season.... he was torched by Patterson and Zach Rogers. DeAndre Hopkins smoked him in their matchup with Clemson. The two sophomore receivers for Miami, Rashawn Scott and Phillip Dorsett abused him all game.
    I watched the Tennessee and Miami games and he was awful...if you went off those two games he'd go undrafted IMO.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    I watched the Tennessee and Miami games and he was awful...if you went off those two games he'd go undrafted IMO.

Thing is I'm not surprised by it. I couldn't see it happening any other way to be honest, which is why I called it before he even played a game this year.

However, if there's one thing that surprises me about it... it's how badly he gets beaten time and time again. It's not even close. He's nowhere.

All cornerbacks get beaten and have tough games... I've seen it from all of 'em. But a lot of times it just comes down to a perfect throw, or the receiver just making a play. They're at least in the neighborhood.

Not with Amerson. That kid's just nowhere to be found when he's challenged vertically and asked to turn and run in man coverage. He's not even in the ballpark.

He's a safety.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMO there are some nice CB prospects in mid to later rounds. My favorite three are:

Darqueze Dennard MSU

Brodrick Brown OSU

Demontre Hurst OKC

TedSlimmJr has Brown and Hurst rated in his tier 4 while Dennard is a Junior. IMO these three are just as good as any around the country
    Last edited by SJSharKFinFan; 11-25-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSharKFinFan View Post
    IMO there are some nice CB prospects in mid to later rounds. My favorite three are:

Darqueze Dennard from MSU

Brodrick Brown OSU

Demontre Hurst OKC

TedSlimmJr has these prospects rated in his tier 4 and IMO they are just as good as any in the country

I don't have Dennard in tier 4 because that thread is only for Seniors and Dennard is a Junior. However, I do have Dennard in my underrated underclassman thread here that I made back in September..

http://www.finheaven.com/show...Underclassman)

Broderick Brown is a guy I view as more of a nickel package corner in the NFL due to his size at 5'8". He's going to struggle matched up with bigger receivers on the outside, similar to how he struggled matched up with Justin Brown Saturday against Oklahoma. He also took himself out of the play where he couldn't make the tackle on the run by Brennan Clay that won the game in overtime for Oklahoma. His teammate Justin Gilbert is the better NFL prospect.

Hurst is in a similar situation at Oklahoma. He's a draftable CB in this class, but he's not the best CB on his own team....Aaron Colvin is.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think a top 5 list needs to have trufant and hawthorne somewhere in it...i would remove rhodes and amerson from that list
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    i think a top 5 list needs to have trufant and hawthorne somewhere in it...i would remove rhodes and amerson from that list
    So Hoops is it unrealistic to think Miami could get Trufant or Hawthorne with their second round pick from Indy? Where do you see Rhodes going round-wise?
    Quote Quote