Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Double Up Combos I'd Like to See

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Some Double Up Combos I'd Like to See

Knowing that the Dolphins like to double-up on positions, I started thinking about dream scenarios to double up. How about this one.....

1. Keenan Allen WR
    1. Tyler Eifert TE (trade up)

Here's another that would intrigue me....

1. Keenan Allen WR
    1. Cordarelle Patterson WR (trade up)

Either scenario would vastly improve Miami's passing game, but I don't see Miami using two premium picks on wide receivers. Allen and Patterson would give the team two big wide out who are excellent after the catch. That's a good scenario for a WC offense.

Here's a defensive dream double up....

1. Bjoern Werner DE
    3. Tank Carradine DE

Carradine's injury drops him out of 1st round consideration. This scenario would really help Miami's 4-3 defense. Right now we don't have the DE's that can rush the passer and play the run.

How about solving the secondary issues with something like this...

1. Dee Milliner CB
    2. Desmond Trufant CB

Thoughts?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My idea for Miami in this particular draft was always to double up at the WR, DE, and CB positions. I believe Miami has 10 picks as it currently sits, which leaves 4 picks to address RB, TE, S, and OL.

The combinations for doubling up that look good to me are virtually limitless depending on what prospects are available where, so there's really no point in trying to identify specifics on that end. I can double up early/early, early/late, early/mid, mid/mid, or mid/late depending on how the board falls.

I just think the idea of doubling up at the DE, WR, and CB positions makes too much sense for Miami... and I think I can get a RB that will contribute at any point in the draft. I would just take a RB, TE, S, and OL at any point I choose where I feel like I'm getting the best value for the player.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    We've got 9 picks Slimm but doubling up makes sense at those positions.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would double up at DE purely because the draft is so deep at the position, though it doesn't hurt that Miami could use both a #2 and #3 DE on this roster.

I would double up at WR because essentially the Dolphins only have two guys I'd want to keep on my ideal roster at that position. So this qualifies as a heavy need.

I would double up at CB because the Dolphins only have one CB worth a damn and you need five. This is actually the biggest need on the roster, because of the Vontae Davis trade.

But the Dolphins need more than you can really get in one off season because the bottom line is neither starting guard is ideal, Reggie Bush seems destined to leave, there's room for one more TE preferably a very good one, they don't have a backup swing tackle, they don't have a free safety and they don't have safety backups, and they don't have linebacker backups.

Preferably I would keep Jake Long for $10 or $11 million a year, or sell him off for very good compensation (more than a 1st round pick). Randy Starks needs to be back, been saying that forever. I think you either re-sign Brian Hartline and trade Davone Bess, or you keep Davone Bess and let Brian Hartline walk. Tough call but it's harder to find a guy that works the outside like Brian Hartline than it is to find a guy that works the inside like Davone Bess, so if you can monetize Bess for a pick then that may be the way to go. Could just keep both I guess but that places more pressure on you to grab someone with high and immediate impact a la Vincent Jackson, because otherwise you'll not have really made immediate change to a unit that clearly needs immediate change. Fasano is a #2 tight end that may cost a little more than that, so you can let him walk or not but either way another acquisition there is necessary. Tough to let Reggie Bush walk since he's the only true play maker on the field on offense, but he seems to have run afoul of the coaches somehow and your hands might be tied that way. That position isn't truly difficult to re-supply though. I think Sean Smith has to be kept.

The possibilities on how to go about this in the draft are plentiful. A lot depends on where the Dolphins end up picking. Right now at #14 they're not looking at the same possibilities as we might have previously thought. You can probably scratch off a Manti Te'o at #14, same with Bjoern Werner. I'm not convinced you can scratch off a Keenan Allen there because I could see him falling that far. Tyler Eifert becomes a consideration at that spot, as does a Jordan Poyer or possibly even Desmond Trufant. Alex Okafor becomes a consideration, or Dion Jordan. If he comes out, Matt Elam could be a consideration there. Barkevious Mingo might get back into the conversation at that spot.

As a tailback, I still favor Dennis Johnson wherever you can get him. But I would note that this weekend, Knile Davis finally looked like he was "back" from an explosiveness standpoint...and he would be an interesting guy if he came at a bargain price. I personally think it's only a matter of time before Ray Graham looks like he has his lower body explosion back and I would keep an eye on him for bargain price tags. Johnathan Franklin is a good football player. I think Jarred Salubi is underrated. Zac Stacey could be a contributor.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree OP...certainly some positions we could double up on. I think FA will also play a roll as to what positions and when would be ideal to double up. For example, if we resign Sean Smith I doubt we would draft two corners in the first 2 rounds (although I still wouldn't be opposed). Just as if we were to sign a big FA WR and resign Hartline, I wouldn't expect to see two WRs taken early..maybe just one. Free agency will dictate a lot...which is why it would be nice to get a couple of playmakers there (Jennings, Bowe, Wallace, Keller, Cook, Grimes just to name a few possibilities).
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Im gonna sound like a terrible fan, but as much as i like seeing the team win, i really wanted werner on this team. Werner and a flyer in tank carradine would have been sick.

Let the chips fall where they may i guess. Werner could be huge for this team.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Chips will fall where they fall I guess.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's likely Miami is looking at 1-2 more wins this season, with Buffalo and Jacksonville remaining on the schedule. 6-7 wins, would probably mean, Miami will be picking from 12-16 depending on what other teams do. But I do agree Doubling up makes a lot of sense considering the need for CB's and WR's. I saw a recent mock having Miami at #14 picking Dee Milliner. Which made a lot of sense!!! This is going to be the most pivotal draft in recent Dolphins history. Much is on the line in 2013 come draft day. I just hope most of those high end junior's declare pushing talent down into Miami's area of selecting. I'd be very surprised if they traded down.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Not Even Lazor Can Save Us

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How about double up on Miliner and Banks and let Sean Smith walk? Hahaha. That'd be a total Madden draft.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey CK. Do you really think that we need a no.2 AND a no.3 DE? I agree that we need a no.2 as Odrick is miscast there and Vernon might need another year to develop. So you don't see Vernon as a decent no.3? Im sure we could improve on him. What scares me more is the depth, or lack thereof, at all 3 LB spots.
    Quote Quote