Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some Double Up Combos I'd Like to See

1. -21
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfan91 View Post
    It's likely Miami is looking at 1-2 more wins this season, with Buffalo and Jacksonville remaining on the schedule. 6-7 wins, would probably mean, Miami will be picking from 12-16 depending on what other teams do. But I do agree Doubling up makes a lot of sense considering the need for CB's and WR's. I saw a recent mock having Miami at #14 picking Dee Milliner. Which made a lot of sense!!! This is going to be the most pivotal draft in recent Dolphins history. Much is on the line in 2013 come draft day. I just hope most of those high end junior's declare pushing talent down into Miami's area of selecting. I'd be very surprised if they traded down.
    I agree on 6-7 wins. Can't see Miami beating NE or SF with the way those teams are playing. As to Milliner that would be a nice pick. The three I'd like if Miami is close to top 10 are Werner, Jones and Milliner. I know Jones is in a 3-4 defense, but the way Georgia uses him I think he could work in a 4-3.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I would double up at DE purely because the draft is so deep at the position, though it doesn't hurt that Miami could use both a #2 and #3 DE on this roster.

I would double up at WR because essentially the Dolphins only have two guys I'd want to keep on my ideal roster at that position. So this qualifies as a heavy need.

I would double up at CB because the Dolphins only have one CB worth a damn and you need five. This is actually the biggest need on the roster, because of the Vontae Davis trade.

But the Dolphins need more than you can really get in one off season because the bottom line is neither starting guard is ideal, Reggie Bush seems destined to leave, there's room for one more TE preferably a very good one, they don't have a backup swing tackle, they don't have a free safety and they don't have safety backups, and they don't have linebacker backups.

Preferably I would keep Jake Long for $10 or $11 million a year, or sell him off for very good compensation (more than a 1st round pick). Randy Starks needs to be back, been saying that forever. I think you either re-sign Brian Hartline and trade Davone Bess, or you keep Davone Bess and let Brian Hartline walk. Tough call but it's harder to find a guy that works the outside like Brian Hartline than it is to find a guy that works the inside like Davone Bess, so if you can monetize Bess for a pick then that may be the way to go. Could just keep both I guess but that places more pressure on you to grab someone with high and immediate impact a la Vincent Jackson, because otherwise you'll not have really made immediate change to a unit that clearly needs immediate change. Fasano is a #2 tight end that may cost a little more than that, so you can let him walk or not but either way another acquisition there is necessary. Tough to let Reggie Bush walk since he's the only true play maker on the field on offense, but he seems to have run afoul of the coaches somehow and your hands might be tied that way. That position isn't truly difficult to re-supply though. I think Sean Smith has to be kept.

The possibilities on how to go about this in the draft are plentiful. A lot depends on where the Dolphins end up picking. Right now at #14 they're not looking at the same possibilities as we might have previously thought. You can probably scratch off a Manti Te'o at #14, same with Bjoern Werner. I'm not convinced you can scratch off a Keenan Allen there because I could see him falling that far. Tyler Eifert becomes a consideration at that spot, as does a Jordan Poyer or possibly even Desmond Trufant. Alex Okafor becomes a consideration, or Dion Jordan. If he comes out, Matt Elam could be a consideration there. Barkevious Mingo might get back into the conversation at that spot.

As a tailback, I still favor Dennis Johnson wherever you can get him. But I would note that this weekend, Knile Davis finally looked like he was "back" from an explosiveness standpoint...and he would be an interesting guy if he came at a bargain price. I personally think it's only a matter of time before Ray Graham looks like he has his lower body explosion back and I would keep an eye on him for bargain price tags. Johnathan Franklin is a good football player. I think Jarred Salubi is underrated. Zac Stacey could be a contributor.
    I'd be very surprised if the master plan doesn't include drafting two wide receivers within the top 3 rounds. I expect early picks to go to pass rusher, wr and corner. The mid rounds will likely be used for offensive linemen, safety, tight end, running back and linebackers. That could change if certain players are available that the front office feels they can't pass up. This regime, with the addition of Philibin, I believe will still value offensive lineman. If a guy like Dallas Thomas is there in round 2 that might change the draft plans. Same with Tyler Eifert if he slips a little. I could definitely see the team move up to get him.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Word around here (Carolina country) is the Bernard is gone. He'll enter the draft.
    Yeah, I'm in RTP. With Cooper definitely leaving (Senior) and Hurst being eligible himself (Junior), Bernard shouldn't really risk staying another year. I like Bernard a lot, and he made a lot of plays by himself, but it's no coincidence that they liked running to the left a good amount. Cooper and Hurst themselves were All-ACC (Cooper first, Hurst second). Hurst may stay, but Bernard shouldn't.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    With UNC already under sanctions and more coming down the pipe, combined with the fact that he's as NFL ready now as he's going to be 2 years from now anyway if he stays.... I see no upside for Bernard to remain in college. They're not going to play for anything and he'd essentially just be risking injury and racking up mileage.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by finsfanjay13 View Post
    Yeah, I'm in RTP. With Cooper definitely leaving (Senior) and Hurst being eligible himself (Junior), Bernard shouldn't really risk staying another year. I like Bernard a lot, and he made a lot of plays by himself, but it's no coincidence that they liked running to the left a good amount. Cooper and Hurst themselves were All-ACC (Cooper first, Hurst second). Hurst may stay, but Bernard shouldn't.
    Cooper is an Outland award finalist...he'll probably be the first or second OG off the board.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    Cooper is an Outland award finalist...he'll probably be the first or second OG off the board.
    Yes. I think it is fair to say he has lived up to the preseason hype.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we do lose Reggie to free agency do we really need to use a pick on a back in the draft? I don't. Lamar can fill Reggie's role & Daniel Thomas (who I'm not a huge fan of) will return. A third RB doesn't get many carries & a cheap vet or undrafted RB or even Jonas Gray could fill that position.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SMadison29 View Post
    If we do lose Reggie to free agency do we really need to use a pick on a back in the draft? I don't. Lamar can fill Reggie's role & Daniel Thomas (who I'm not a huge fan of) will return. A third RB doesn't get many carries & a cheap vet or undrafted RB or even Jonas Gray could fill that position.
    I haven't spent much time looking at running backs in this draft, but by all accounts it seems like a really down year at that position. I think Miami could add a free agent to compete with Miller and Thomas. That's a viable option I would think.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not opposed to double on a position or 2 but one thing we could do is to double up with free agency and the draft. If we can get a top WR in free agency then there's no need to take 2 more WR's in the draft. You could draft one and you've got your double right there. As far as DE,for sure they need to draft one in the first 2 rounds but I'd not draft 2 in the first 2 rounds with all the needs we have. If there's a position I could see us doubling early in the draft is Corner. We pretty much have one corner(Smith)and he's not a top corner either. He's ok but doesn't make enough plays to be considered a top Corner. If we get a top WR in free agency then I could see us doing something like this,

1-Corner or DE
    2-Corner or DE(Whichever we didn't get with the first we get with the second)
    2-WR
    3-TE or Oline(depending on if Long walks and even if he stays we still need a guard)
    3-This could be Safety, Corner or O-line depending on free agency and what we do with our first 4 picks.

My ideal if we do get the WR in free agency would be to get with our 5 picks in rounds 1 to 3 a DE,Corner,WR,Safety and oline.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Like the idea!

Doubling up on our top needs (CB, DE, WR) with top 5 picks:
    -including WR FA pickup (Jennings? Wallace?):

1 CB J Banks
    2 DE Jordan
    2 CB Trufant
    3 DE Carradine
    3 WR Bailey

WR: mike Wallace and stedman Bailey

DE: dion Jordan and tank Carradine

CB: Banks and Trufant

Round 4: ILB Shayneskov if he's still there? Is he the type of player that could transition to the 4-3?

Rounds 5-7: bpa
    Quote Quote