Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Take Your Pick (Senior RB Edition)

1. -1
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Take Your Pick (Senior RB Edition)

Take your pick of the back you'd prefer in each of the following matchups. I've paired up backs of similar skillsets. Of course, it's likely that you may not have even seen some of these backs unless you watch an incredible amount of college football.

Kenjon Barner or Andre Ellington

Montee Ball or Stepfan Taylor

Miguel Maysonet or Cameron Marshall

Orwin Smith, Marcus Curry, or Theo Riddick

Ray Graham or Robbie Rouse

Dennis Johnson or Zac Stacy

Johnathan Franklin or Mike Gillislee

Latavius Murray or Christine Michael

Mike James or Rex Burkhead

Onterio McCalebb or D.J. Monroe

Kerwynn Williams, Chris Thompson, or Curtis McNeal

Zach Line, Lonnie Pryor, or Shawn Alston

Montel Harris or D.J. Harper
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Wow.

Andre Elington is all we need lol.

But honestly, dont know half those guys. So my opinion is useless in this thread.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    okie dokie...

Ellington
    Ball
    Marshall
    Riddick
    Graham
    Stacy
    Franklin
    Michael
    Burkhead
    McCalebb
    Williams
    Pryor
    Harris
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Kenjon Barner or Andre Ellington

Montee Ball or Stepfan Taylor

Miguel Maysonet or Cameron Marshall

Orwin Smith, Marcus Curry, or Theo Riddick

Ray Graham or Robbie Rouse

Dennis Johnson or Zac Stacy

Johnathan Franklin or Mike Gillislee

Latavius Murray or Christine Michael

Mike James or Rex Burkhead

Onterio McCalebb or D.J. Monroe

Kerwynn Williams, Chris Thompson, or Curtis McNeal

Zach Line, Lonnie Pryor, or Shawn Alston

Montel Harris or D.J. Harper

I love Mike James and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Canes fan. I watched this kid for 4 years, he runs hard, runs with good pad level, makes yards after contract, excellent pass blocker, underrated pass catcher and a high, high character kid. If he goes undrafted we need to jump on him ASAP.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Jarred Salubi is underrated.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Crystal River, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Slimm,

Theo Riddick is someone who has impressed me every time I have watched ND. Despite his size, he has shown a willingness to run between the tackles, has shown the ability to pass protect, and given his position switch from WR, his pass catching abilities are obvious. In a league dependent on matchups, this is a guy I would love to look at in the mid-rounds. His versatility is something that any offense should covet. He really put on a show against USC, and he was the difference maker in that game. What is the cap on how high you would draft him? Personally, I wouldn't mind spending our 4th round pick on him, and adding him to Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Crystal River, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Slimm,

Another prospect, although not a senior, whom I have really liked what I have seen when healthy has been Raijon Neal of Tennessee. I would think he would benefit from going back to school another year, but with the upcoming revamp, he may elect to toss his hat in this draft. He is similar to Riddick in his ability to line up all over the formation, and is equally adept at running and catching the football. Also, there have been numerous big plays where he has really helped Bray with pass protection. Has he caught your eye? Given his relative obscurity due to lack of production, position switches, he is a guy I think could be had late or as an UDFA if he were to come out.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I might be a little surprised here with the results of the Latavius Murray/Christine Michael matchup so far. I see a little Matt Forte in Murray. He's a very upright runner around 6'2", 225 with extremely fluid hips and insane lateral agility. Natural catching passes out of the backfield.

Christine Michael is a back I try to like every year, but come away disappointed every year. He's been beaten out for the starting job by Ben Malena this year on top of being suspended for violatation of team rules.

Personally, I favor Murray in that matchup.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Robbie Rouse is an interesting player. Could contribute immediately as a 3rd down/Passing tailback. Already advanced as a blocker, good hands in the passing game, good acceleration. I don't know if I would put him in the same boat as a healthy and completely rehabbed/confident Ray Graham, but I like Robbie.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bootang25 View Post
    Slimm,

Theo Riddick is someone who has impressed me every time I have watched ND. Despite his size, he has shown a willingness to run between the tackles, has shown the ability to pass protect, and given his position switch from WR, his pass catching abilities are obvious. In a league dependent on matchups, this is a guy I would love to look at in the mid-rounds. His versatility is something that any offense should covet. He really put on a show against USC, and he was the difference maker in that game. What is the cap on how high you would draft him? Personally, I wouldn't mind spending our 4th round pick on him, and adding him to Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller.

I thoroughly agree with you on everything in bold here and I think his versatility is very unique in this draft... essentially to the point that I'm not even sure if I like him better as a RB or a WR. He plays both pretty well. I'd also agree with you that beginning around the 4th round area is where a player like him should start to become valuable.'

I'd say the same thing about Orwin Smith and Marcus Curry that I say about Riddick in terms of being unsure as to whether I like 'em better at RB or WR. There's two backs in this draft that stand out in the passing game in terms of yards/reception for their careers.... Orwin Smith and Marcus Curry...but there's an explanation.

Paul Johnson's double wing offense at Georgia Tech allows both the wing backs to function as what amounts to slot receivers. He can have his backs run the same routes that a slot receiver would run from a traditional 2X2 formation. Orwin Smith averages 17.1 yards/reception for his career, while Marcus Curry averages 18.1 yards/reception for his career... both far and away the highest yards/catch average in the RB class.

The correlation is Marcus Curry played in Paul Johnson's double wing offense at Navy prior to transferring to Texas St.... except he played under Ken Niumatalolo, who is a Paul Johnson disciple that took over the head coaching job at Navy when Johnson left for Georgia Tech.

Curry has played in a more traditional offense at Texas St. under Dennis Franchione, at least compared to Paul Johnson's double-wing. It's essentially the same offense Ladanian Tomlinson played in at TCU under Franchione.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 11-29-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Quote