Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st round pass rusher has to be pick!

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    wales and will die a prou
    Thanks / No Thanks

1st round pass rusher has to be pick!

In my mind there are 3 primary positions in NFL...QB, DE & LT.....in that order.

We have our QB and no matter what anyone says about Jake Long he is still a very good Left Tackle.

I love Cameron Wake but we need a threat opposite him. If we can get a legitimate pass rusher to play opposite him and rotate with Vernon, it would allow Odrick to move inside and rotate with Soliai & Starks.

A rotation of Starks, Soliai & Odrick together with Wake, Vernon and Werner/Moore/Montgomery would be amongst the best in NFL.

With a couple of WR's & CB's thereafter, in my mind would be the ideal draft!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Question, if this is such a deep draft in quality pass rushers, assuming we pick early, shouldŽnt we focus on positions of need which are not so deep, in order to maximize the priviledge of picking early?? Example, pick the best CB available, and with our 1st 2nd rounder, best pass rusher available, then WR?? Whereas, picking a CB 2nd or 3rd round, might be such a drop-off, that it could be considered a 4th round talent in other drafts... My choice? Trade back anyways, from the teens, to the twenties, and pick an extra 2nd-3rd...we have way too many needs!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's also the strength of this years' draft. I personally think Miami needs to add two pass rushers, one ideally with the #1 pick. It's the only way to really compete with the Patriots who have owned the division for far too long. Attack Brady all day long with a relentless pass rush and you've got a good chance to win. Miami can concentrate of wr's and the secondary after that.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ticophin View Post
    Question, if this is such a deep draft in quality pass rushers, assuming we pick early, shouldŽnt we focus on positions of need which are not so deep, in order to maximize the priviledge of picking early??
    That's very rational and you're right to an extent. However, if you consider what the Dolphins lack, it makes sense to chase star players where you can find them. Miami has no shortage of starters that "can play in this league". They lack depth but as for the starters and heavy rotational people, there's a bunch of them that are ok football players. What they lack are play makers, stars. Those are also the hardest to get.

So if you're staring at a corner class that only has a few good ones but even the good ones (Milliner, Banks, Trufant, etc) aren't necessarily star players...and then you're looking at a defensive end class that is deep and strong at the top and you know there are some star players that will come out of it...if stars are what you need then maybe you ought to get the guy you consider to be the BEST of a GREAT class. It would stand to reason.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    That's very rational and you're right to an extent. However, if you consider what the Dolphins lack, it makes sense to chase star players where you can find them. Miami has no shortage of starters that "can play in this league". They lack depth but as for the starters and heavy rotational people, there's a bunch of them that are ok football players. What they lack are play makers, stars. Those are also the hardest to get.

So if you're staring at a corner class that only has a few good ones but even the good ones (Milliner, Banks, Trufant, etc) aren't necessarily star players...and then you're looking at a defensive end class that is deep and strong at the top and you know there are some star players that will come out of it...if stars are what you need then maybe you ought to get the guy you consider to be the BEST of a GREAT class. It would stand to reason.

I totally agree with you CK. We have lots of good football players but we need those guys who help other guys look better than they actually are. Ed Reed has made normal corners in Baltimore look better than they are for years. If we could get a stud Pass Rusher, the next Aldon Smith on this team then all the sudden our secondary is going to look so much better from just the pressure. Look at yesteday, we actually got pretty good pressure on Brady, 4 sacks when he only had 15 on the year is pretty damn good. But imagine we had 6, feet get real happy. Or if we went with Manti and he actually covered TEs and backs better then what we got, our entire defense looks better. Same goes on the other side of the ball, one nice receiver changes everything on this team. Look what Dez did last night, talent alone leaving his head out of it, he's crazy. We don't need a true number one in the numbers we need a true number one in the presence. Some who the other team has to account for at all times. I just want the next guy making highlights all the time, offense/defense dont care, just need more studs. We have lots of pieces, we are missing the game changers.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    BPA....I've bought into the draft for need over talent as you approach the draft. Fill holes. Not anymore. You draft the best player on the board unless it's a QB or lineman.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Student of the Game

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not many pass rushers in this draft it seems.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Canandaigua,NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just give me a PLAYMAKER on either side of the board!!
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Forget need . . . I mean we can still field a football team w/o reaching for a need. This team has lacked "overall" talent for years. No playmakers and very few high quality athletes.

The only positions I would personally rule out early is QB (Tannehill), OL (ZBS guys are usually easier to find . . . can be had later) and DT (We have Starks and Soliai and even if Starks goes elsewhere Odrick is a natural 4-3 DT . . . plus Tony McDaniel could be a cheap backup come the offseason) . . . yea the 2 beefy positions. We need better athletes. CB, S, LB, DE, TE, WR, RB all on the table for me and I don't care which way we go as long as we take the best player at the time.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Impact Wrestling > WWE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Justice League Watchtower
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    Odrick is a natural 4-3 DT . . . We need better athletes. CB, S, LB, DE, TE, WR, RB all on the table for me and I don't care which way we go as long as we take the best player at the time.
    Agreed. Odrick as the 3 Technique and Big Paul at the nose has incredible potential.

Miami does need a playmaker/athlete/pass rusher. The latest Walter football mock has Dion Jordan (Oregon DE) going to the phins @ 14. He reminds me of JPP but with more experience at the college level.

The phins could double up in the Beaver State by taking Oregon St WR Markus Wheaton in the 3rd.
    Winning without ethics is not winning at all - Don Shula.

Quote Quote