Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jake Long Debate and How that Affects the Draft Plans

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Jake Long Debate and How that Affects the Draft Plans

I guess we can add left tackle to the Dolphins list of needs now, or right tackle if Jonathan Martin is moved to the left. So the question is how much does Long's injury affect the offseason and, specifically, the draft? As is stands, we all know the Dolphins need that physical presence at wide receiver and also someone who can take the top off a defense. It could be two players or one guy who can do both. We need a pass rusher opposite Cam Wake, maybe even two guys who can harass the qb on a consistent basis. We need a shutdown corner and at least one zone blocking guard. And the team needs a tight end who can stretch the defense and possibly a safety. Linebacking depth is also an issue.

With all the needs the team has it seems the best player available in each round would serve Miami well. But, the team has to be able to protect Ryan Tannehill and get him some weapons. Does this draft now become primarily offensive and what right tackles could be had in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds who could start immediately and be at least solid? Are we now looking offensive line earlier than anticipated?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the Dolphins showed their hand a bit when they subbed Jon Martin in at left tackle in place of Jake Long. If they allow Long to leave whether it be in a trade or as a free agent, I think Jon Martin is the guy they plug in at left tackle. It will create an easier situation for the front office as right tackles are easier to find than left tackles.

Of course that could all get blown to hell if Jon Martin gets owned by Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Jeremy Mincey, Mario Williams and Chandler Jones the rest of the season.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think it has any affect, simply because I would doubt that thye had planned to Franchise Tag Long for the $15MM that would have been required. Martin played respectably yesterday, so it wouldn't surprise me if they waited to round 4 to select a right tackle. Priorities will probably be DE, WR(2), CB, TE, OT and OG. Some will be addressed in free agency, so we'll have a better idea of draft needs by the end of March.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    JUST SIGN Patriot Sebastian Vollmer to play right tackle
    he also has played left tackle and wouldn't require a ton of money
    He's making 1/2 of what Murtha is

the only caveat is his back
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    I don't really think so. It shouldn't move OT to a higher priority then WR, DE, TE, CB, LB
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I think the Dolphins showed their hand a bit when they subbed Jon Martin in at left tackle in place of Jake Long. If they allow Long to leave whether it be in a trade or as a free agent, I think Jon Martin is the guy they plug in at left tackle. It will create an easier situation for the front office as right tackles are easier to find than left tackles.

Of course that could all get blown to hell if Jon Martin gets owned by Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Jeremy Mincey, Mario Williams and Chandler Jones the rest of the season.
    Both Smiths will eat Martin up. Williams will definitely put him on his ass and Jones should give him some headaches.
    Martin is definitely going to show he can't play LT in the NFL. He is my biggest dissapiontment so far. I haven't seen him progress one bit when it comes to 2 things happening, his "feet go dead on him and he falls backwards"
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Do you mean owned anymore than Long has been all season...Long has played his last down in Miami. Martin will move to LT and we'll go RT in the 3rd round.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SR 7 View Post
    Both Smiths will eat Martin up. Williams will definitely put him on his ass and Jones should give him some headaches.
    Martin is definitely going to show he can't play LT in the NFL. He is my biggest dissapiontment so far. I haven't seen him progress one bit when it comes to 2 things happening, his "feet go dead on him and he falls backwards"
    LOL that Martin is your biggest disappointment this year. This posts gets the biggest "whatever". Martin isn't anywhere near the top of Miami's disappoinment list. Hell, there are two other Linemen alone that are way further up that list. Long and Cog are total crap. Get real with your Oline eval.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The recent injury kinda seals this I believe. No way now we will use the tag on him not at $15, it's just too much for an injury prone player that Long has been over the last few years. I think he'll be back though at 8-9 milliion a year on a long term contract. Just can't see another team willing to offer him that amount of money considering his overall play and injury record. If someone beats what we offer, then good look to them, they'll be overpaying.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
    JUST SIGN Patriot Sebastian Vollmer to play right tackle
    he also has played left tackle and wouldn't require a ton of money
    He's making 1/2 of what Murtha is

the only caveat is his back
    We know he can handle Pass Rusher like Cam wake!

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

CK,

Why is it easier to play at RT compared to LT? Thus easier to find a RT than a LT!
    Quote Quote