Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bob Costas blasted for delivering anti-gun message during Sunday Night Football

1. -21
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Doesn't he still have his HBO show??? That would have been a far better place to do it. Or tweet it.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's free to have his opinion, but he basically used SNF and the situation as bully pulpits in this case.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Dub FX:
    Step On My Trip (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPEleJVjOo
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post

Wait, are you really that drunk? You do realize this is what he said in the debate this year right? As in this is what he is going to do (future tense) in his second term (which hasnít begun yet), right? So you voted for someone that you knew was going to clamp down on gun ownership even though you claim you do not agree with Costas, well at least your pattern of consistently being inconsistent continues.
    Disagreeing with Costa's statement has nothing to do with agreeing on Obama's take on gun control.

Costa's statement was a clear vote against gun ownership. Obama wants assault weapons banned. Only a person with the IQ of a door knob would consider both opinions alike.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Costa's statement was a clear vote against gun ownership. Obama wants assault weapons banned. Only a person with the IQ of a door knob would consider both opinions alike.
    Hey, glad you met Statler finally...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Costas was a pathetic handicapper when he did play by play for NBC in the early '80s. I lost plenty of respect for him at the time, but he earned it back in this case. I was watching that segment as it happened and was stunned when it was obvious he was actually going to follow through. It deserved a standing ovation.

Very few choices in life are more ignorant than gun ownership. It's simply mathematically clueless, improper weighting of variables, and therefore the natural path of the scared Simplistic Angry Male, but other blocks lack excuse. The gun sits there 24/7/365, with exponentially more potential to be summoned in an emotional dispute (like this case), or stumbled upon by a curious teenager, or even used successfully against the owner, than to be magically and successfully summoned against the naughty intruder.

I'm ashamed at my party for all but shelving the topic, particularly the past dozen years or so. It really started with Gore in 2000. Make no mistake, Democrats want to get rid of guns but they are petrified to say so, knowing they couldn't overcome it politically. I think it's disgraceful. The word liberal and the word taxes used to have devastating impact when abused by Republicans. Now those words are laughably hoisted even though the impact is all but gone. People have been educated about the related topics. The same potential is there for guns. They kill people, for god's sake. How charming. It's not bad people, it's the stupid availability of the deadly weapon. Seriously, how is Costas' statement, or Whitlock's, remotely controversial? You've got to be world class dense to believe those two people would be dead, minus a gun. Am I allowed to set odds? I couldn't make them high enough.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    Costas was a pathetic handicapper when he did play by play for NBC in the early '80s. I lost plenty of respect for him at the time, but he earned it back in this case. I was watching that segment as it happened and was stunned when it was obvious he was actually going to follow through. It deserved a standing ovation.

Very few choices in life are more ignorant than gun ownership. It's simply mathematically clueless, improper weighting of variables, and therefore the natural path of the scared Simplistic Angry Male, but other blocks lack excuse. The gun sits there 24/7/365, with exponentially more potential to be summoned in an emotional dispute (like this case), or stumbled upon by a curious teenager, or even used successfully against the owner, than to be magically and successfully summoned against the naughty intruder.

I'm ashamed at my party for all but shelving the topic, particularly the past dozen years or so. It really started with Gore in 2000. Make no mistake, Democrats want to get rid of guns but they are petrified to say so, knowing they couldn't overcome it politically. I think it's disgraceful. The word liberal and the word taxes used to have devastating impact when abused by Republicans. Now those words are laughably hoisted even though the impact is all but gone. People have been educated about the related topics. The same potential is there for guns. They kill people, for god's sake. How charming. It's not bad people, it's the stupid availability of the deadly weapon. Seriously, how is Costas' statement, or Whitlock's, remotely controversial? You've got to be world class dense to believe those two people would be dead, minus a gun. Am I allowed to set odds? I couldn't make them high enough.
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. Blaming this incident on the gun is removing any amount of personal responsibility from this situation. A gun is only a tool and doesn't have any will of it's own. It would be like saying that a shovel is responsible for digging a ditch. Now, I will concede that he probably wouldn't have done it there at the team facilities without a gun. It is still very likely that they would both still be dead (and possibly the baby as well) through some other means had he not had it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The gun sits there 24/7/365, with exponentially more potential to be summoned in an emotional dispute (like this case), or stumbled upon by a curious teenager...
    Not entirely false. As soon as you figure out a way to get guns away from criminals then let's talk about getting them away from law abiding citizens.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Last time I checked people killed each other people pretty effectively and consistently long before the gun came around. Hell if this was 1000 years ago he would have just chopped her up with an axe or sword. Then what??? Even OJ killed 2 people without a gun. In the end this dude was CRAZY and nothing would have stopped this murder and suicide from happening.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks

For the record, I don't own a gun and am in favor of strict gun laws. With that beng said, I don't think I've seen a more ignorant post since presscoverage trolled these boards.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    For the record, I don't own a gun and am in favor of strict gun laws. With that beng said, I don't think I've seen a more ignorant post since presscoverage trolled these boards.
    I agree with the first part of your statement Jared, but PC was far from ignorant. He and I used to go round and round if you remember, and he was always intteligent thoughtful and lucid in his arguments.

Just like Costas, i don't agree with his argument, but i respect his intelligence and passion for his point, however misguided i believe him to be.

For the person that thinks banning gun ownership would have prevented this tragedy, let me ask you. If he had bashed her head in with a claw hammer, would you be outside of home depot demanding that all hammers be banned? I didnt think so. Understand the difference between the crime and the weapon used to commit the crime and you'll see....all the bans in the world dont mean a damn unless you can change the hearts and minds of wicked men

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote