Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannehill = Worst rookie QB of 2012?

1. -71
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC13 View Post
    If Tannehill was wearing any uniform but a Dolphin uniform then all Dolfans would agree that Tannehill is the worst of the 1st round picks. An argument can be made Weeden is equally as bad, but one thing is for sure and that is Luck, RG3 and Wilson are far superior than Tannehill as a QB. Would have been much better off signing Flynn and spending the #8 pick on a player like Kuechly.

Unfortunately, this has all the makings of another Chad Henne type of situation in which the player is given the better part of 3-4 years to prove he is not up to the task and then it is back to drafting another QB or the revolving veteran like what happened the first 10 years after Marino retired.

I hope Tannehill proves me wrong, but if history holds true then more than a 90% probability Tannehill is just another overrated 1st rounder due to the importance of the position. At best, an average starter with maximum potential to fall somewhere to be a top 15-20 QB. That generally doesn't earn a team many trips to the playoffs.
    The problem is, we all play the result. As Dolphin fans, we all watch every snap the Dolphins play. I doubt you or anyone else on this forum has seen every snap that Luck, RGIII or Wilson has taken this season. As Dolphin fans who watch every snap of our players, we are prone to overanalyze every possible mistake by the player, while glossing over the mistakes that players on other teams make, and accentuating their successes, because all we really see are their highlights.

I personally think all of these QBs have played amazing for rookies, and will have some measure of success in the NFL.
    Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Based on their rookie years I project Cam Newton will be the greatest QB ever and Peyton Manning to be a first round bust. How did I do? Seriously though, is there any evidence to suggest you can project a QB's career based on his rookie season stats? I know you can predict flat out busts if the player looks shell shocked or whatever but Tannehill has shown flashes of being good and does not look scared at all. Beyond that you just need to wait and see how he develops with a few seasons under his belt.
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I do admit to vacillating wildly on this particular topic. If I strictly went by the eye-test and the fact that he's a rookie, I'd be much more patient and less judgmental. It's just that I read a boatload of stuff about him prior to this draft, and he's emulating almost every projection. He just does not seem to have 'it'. So very few QBs really have 'it' and the ones that don't have short or mediocre careers mostly has back-ups. The guy can scramble for 16 yards and make it look easy, then fail to just move 3 feet to avoid a sack.
    You can talk about his lack of weapons, but if guys were covered that much then a smarter QB would just be running a lot more often, especially when they can eat up yards like an above-average tailback once they put their mind to it. Also, Tannehill does have a great arm and quite a nice, quick release.

I've thought about this thread even while I've been away from the board, and I've wanted to walk back some of my comments because many were a departure from a calm-collected style that I like to use here. I just can't relax and enjoy what I see from this guy yet. I'm a fantasy-football player and RG3 is my '2nd QB' (Romo was the first, taken in the 2nd round of a QB-heavy league). That guy is just a flat-out playmaker. He's so far ahead of guys like Vick or Newton already and he's a rookie. I can't remember watching a game of his this year where I saw him make 'rookie mistakes', or just dismissed a boneheaded play as a 'rookie mistake'. (He makes me wanna dig up the corpses of Jimmy the Greek and Al Companis and skull-**** them with a jackhammer, then make Rush Limbaugh eat what's left). I digress.
    Anyway, now that emotion about it is not a factor at the moment, I can just focus on Tannehill's physical gifts and just hope that experience will bridge the gap between what he has now between the ears and possessing that 'it' factor that true, franchise QBs have.
    I'll tell ya one thing though, Kyle Shannahan makes Sherman look like the victim of a brain injury. Washington does do amazing things with play-calling & motion. Sherman, like Sparano-Henniing before them, are still not smart enough to throw the ball to Reggie Bush or have their finger on the pulse of a ballgame. Tanny and Sherman are joined at the hip. If Tanny had to learn a new system (if a new GM brought in his own coaching staff), would be REALLY look like a rookie or would be blossom with better play-calling?
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like what Skapephin said ^^^^^. I haven't seen many of these other guys' bad plays or mediocre plays. I did see Luck get away with quite a few mistakes, including a total int that Sean Smith played into a TD for T.Y. Hilton. If Smith picks off that ball then the announcer is pointing out a 'rookie mistake' instead of metaphorically felating the guy. It does seem like Tannehill has next to zero margin for error.
    In that Monday Night Football game last night, Eli started off the game missing on 2 deep balls. Flat out missing. Tanny misses one and we (myself included) wanna bench his ass. The difference is that NY kept on chuckin' it out there and did wind up hitting a few deeper passes. Tanny never really got that chance. We obviously don't have Hakeem Nicks or Victor Cruz either.

Like you guys, I'm just gonna keep watching and keep rooting for our guys, including RT17.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfandubbz~ View Post
    did you get a thrill up your leg in 08? Did the east title matter in 09? 2010? How about sparano and company, did it save their jobs? What did 08 do that mattered for the long term success for this team and franchise?

By henne not learning and starting in 08, the franchise and team had to endure the growing pains up until 2011. This franchise then found out henne wasn't the answer a year later than it should have. Setting this team back, and bringing in a new cs. If you don't understand that 08 hurt this team in the long run, then it goes to show the shallowness of anything you have to offer here.

Penny never won a big game in his career. His 19 starts did nothing for this franchise that mattered. He accomplished something the likes of scott mitchell and jay fiedler did and that was to take the team to the playoffs. Nothing more. Dan marino won games and went to a sb. He redefined the qb position for his era. And griese? Do we even have to go into what he did for the franchise?

But you have a 19 game starter on a equal plane with those mia greats. Someone should take your fan card if not your man card.
    bs!
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Russell Wilson and his 2 yard TD throws don't overly impress me to be honest. He has a ton of help on both sides of the ball. Switch him and Tannehill and the results would be much much different
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joba-nator View Post
    Russell Wilson and his 2 yard TD throws don't overly impress me to be honest. He has a ton of help on both sides of the ball. Switch him and Tannehill and the results would be much much different
    How about a 97 yard game tieing drive at Soldier Field against one of the leagues top defenses? If that wasn't enough he then went 80 yards for a touchdown in overtime. Did you see the throws he made on 3rd and long? As a rookie? Are you kidding me? That is the "it" factor we're looking for right there. Some guys are just gamers, it's in their blood. It's very rare and special when you find it. I'm not sure if Tannehill has that factor. He has all the tools but I'm not sure about 'it'.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    its obvious a very large percentage of the people on here make every excuse possible for tannehill. no weapons, bad play calling, bad line, blah blah blah!!! ITS LIKE THEY JUST CANT ADMIT THE GUY HAS BEEN MEDIOCRE AND IS A BIG QUESTION MARK MOVING FORWARD IF IT CAME UP BEHIND THEM AND SLAPPED THEM IN THE MOUTH!
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinmanniac View Post
    How about a 97 yard game tieing drive at Soldier Field against one of the leagues top defenses? If that wasn't enough he then went 80 yards for a touchdown in overtime. Did you see the throws he made on 3rd and long? As a rookie? Are you kidding me? That is the "it" factor we're looking for right there. Some guys are just gamers, it's in their blood. It's very rare and special when you find it. I'm not sure if Tannehill has that factor. He has all the tools but I'm not sure about 'it'.

You nailed it. Luck, RGIII and Wilson got game and that is what I like about all 3.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bird33 View Post
    its obvious a very large percentage of the people on here make every excuse possible for tannehill. no weapons, bad play calling, bad line, blah blah blah!!! ITS LIKE THEY JUST CANT ADMIT THE GUY HAS BEEN MEDIOCRE AND IS A BIG QUESTION MARK MOVING FORWARD IF IT CAME UP BEHIND THEM AND SLAPPED THEM IN THE MOUTH!
    Well that's the greatest dolpfan fear! We're desperate for a franchise QB and wasting another couple years only to admit he's finally 'not our guy' is unfathomable!
    Quote Quote