Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: GOP to blame if "fiscal cliff" talks fail

1. -11
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So, i'll ask again, because i dont see where you have addressed the question.

President Obama enjoyed fillibuster proof majorities in both houses. How come he has never had a budget go through? Even Bush got budgets done with both houses solidly democratic. Why couldn't Obama? You can't blame the GOP for the lack of budgets being passed from 2008-2010...they couldnt have stopped the government from buying Hostess and renaming Twinkies into Worker Solidarity Cakes.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post

President Obama enjoyed fillibuster proof majorities in both houses. How come he has never had a budget go through? Even Bush got budgets done with both houses solidly democratic. Why couldn't Obama? You can't blame the GOP for the lack of budgets being passed from 2008-2010...they couldnt have stopped the government from buying Hostess and renaming Twinkies into Worker Solidarity Cakes.
    And i answered, the party in the minority can still cause alot of hell and Congress hasnt done their jobs for years(even before Obama was elected). Its Congress' responsibility to get this done and any attempts at removing such responsibility has been met with shrills of outrage.

And yes, despite as obstructionist as Democrats were they still did what is now considered unthinkable: govern. They reached compromises with the Bush administration. Meanwhile, after Obama got elected Republicans ran entire campaigns on the premise of "no compromise". They havent done their jobs since.

No matter how many straw man arguments are made, its all irrelevant what happened in 2008. We are in this crisis right now. Which side is holding us up at this moment(relatively speaking)? Which side has refused to negotiate? Which side has spent years turning down proposals concerning this problem? Which side has filibustered an absurd amount?
    People can easily look this information up. They apparently have because the GOP is correctly being blamed. Again, Republicans did everything humanily possible to screw over Obama(read: screw over the American people). They succeeded. Congrats. Now its time for the party of personal responsibility to actually take some responsibility and work this crap out instead of pointing to 4 years ago.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's all a matter of perspective.

Bush's continual compromises with Congress resulted in him being labeled a "RINO".

Which of the compromises that Obama sought would have resulting in less spending? Which compromises would have been good for business, the middle class and tax payers?

Kicking the can down the road and ignoring the problem for a bit longer as it gets even worse is not a valid solution. Bring on the cliff and real solutions.

Attachment 9549
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    It's all a matter of perspective.

Bush's continual compromises with Congress resulted in him being labeled a "RINO".

Which of the compromises that Obama sought would have resulting in less spending? Which compromises would have been good for business, the middle class and tax payers?

Kicking the can down the road and ignoring the problem for a bit longer as it gets even worse is not a valid solution. Bring on the cliff and real solutions.

Attachment 9549
    I forgot the specific ratio but I do believe Obama proposed $8 of spending cuts for every $1 of revenue increase and the Republicans shot it down.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi today ripped House Republicans for scheduling a five-day break amid the " fiscal cliff" debate, asking why the chamber is not in session "trying to build confidence" and "find common ground" with only 26 days left until a mix of steep tax hikes and spending cuts take effect.
    http://news.yahoo.com/pelosi-rips-ho...-politics.html

Right on cue. Obviously, this is more games and brinkmanship. Still, if anyone was confused about why the GOP is being blamed, this is yet another example.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bring on the blame.

I have no faith that our government has the ability to bring us to fiscal sanity even if it was 100% Republican or 100% Democrat. Avoiding the fiscal cliff will not be a solution, it'll just be kicking the can farther down the road.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe they should attach another NDAA or Patriot Act or another anti-liberty bill to the fiscal cliff solution. It would pass with flying colors.
    Last edited by Dolphins9954; 12-06-2012 at 11:42 PM.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post

My oh my.....
    a) the Bush budget ended in October 2009. So your 2008-2010 does not count.
    b) The democrats never had a filibuster proof majority (unless you are counting a couple of months as filibuster proof which coincided with the summer break).

All budgets have been approved since Obama took office and I am including the stunt by the tea party idiots lead by Ryan in 2011 which as an end result will the fiscal cliff.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pimpin' ain't easy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    outside the beltway
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    My oh my.....
    a) the Bush budget ended in October 2009. So your 2008-2010 does not count.
    b) The democrats never had a filibuster proof majority (unless you are counting a couple of months as filibuster proof which coincided with the summer break).

All budgets have been approved since Obama took office and I am including the stunt by the tea party idiots lead by Ryan in 2011 which as an end result will the fiscal cliff.
    There hasn't been a SINGLE budget approved since Obama took office. We have been on a Continuing Resolution spend plan that continues to get kicked down the road every single session of Congress.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Obama is supposed to lead.....Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush.....they could all get budgets done......Make all the pitiful excuses you want, blame everyone else but Obama, but the fact is he sucks. He cant work with Republicans, he is not transparent, he has ignored the White House leaks (remember those? Oh the outrage he feigned) he has ignored the Benghazi attack and lied to everyone about it.....and now Pelosi is trying to castigate the House GOP for taking a break (deservedly so, they need to be hammering out a budget), but she ignores the fact that Dems walked out on the Holder contempt charges this year and the Energy debate in 2008. Both sides FAIL when it comes to statesmanship and leadership.

And Obama still has not passed a budget in his whole term...Is there anything this President has not passed the buck on? LEAD GOD DAMMITT!!!!
    Quote Quote