Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Bill O'Reily Says Christianity is NOT a Religion

Hybrid View

  1. -1
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,250
    vCash:
    7051
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

    Question Bill O'Reily Says Christianity is NOT a Religion

    I wish I was making this up. But I'm not that creative. This is just proof of the old adage that "Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense; truth is not bound by that constraint."

    (h/t to Jon Stewart at the Daily Show for pointing out this latest bit of folly) I am glad someone is watching FOX because it sure isn't me.

    Here's the actual video of Bill O declaring "Christianity is not a religion." But Judaism is!

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...not-a-religion
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...y-s-philosophy

    Oh, Bill.

    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,261
    vCash:
    1259
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why is this not in the Religion forum? Or are you Rob agreeing with Bill that Christianity is not a religion and therefore this belongs in this forum?
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,250
    vCash:
    7051
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    Why is this not in the Religion forum? Or are you Rob agreeing with Bill that Christianity is not a religion and therefore this belongs in this forum?
    This is more about how dumb O'Reily is than an actual debate on the merit of what he said; which we all know is stupid.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,261
    vCash:
    1259
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    This is more about how dumb O'Reily is than an actual debate on the merit of what he said; which we all know is stupid.
    I agree that he is confusing different denominations of Christianity as being different religions, but you don't think someone can view Christianity as a philosophy as well? I actually know a few people who ascribe to most of the philosophy of Christianity but would not describe themselves as religious (if I am not mistaken even Dawkins describes himself as a “cultural Christian”). I believe that is the point Bill is trying to make, we can have a federal holiday that celebrates the birth of Christ without necessarily endorsing any particular religion because Christianity itself as many different aspects to it.
    I think a funnier aspect to this is the fact that Silverman said his main objection to Christmas being a federal holiday is the fact he is “forced” to take it off from work but then later in the interview admitted that he will in fact be working on Christmas.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,250
    vCash:
    7051
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    I agree that he is confusing different denominations of Christianity as being different religions, but you don't think someone can view Christianity as a philosophy as well? I actually know a few people who ascribe to most of the philosophy of Christianity but would not describe themselves as religious (if I am not mistaken even Dawkins describes himself as a “cultural Christian”). I believe that is the point Bill is trying to make, we can have a federal holiday that celebrates the birth of Christ without necessarily endorsing any particular religion because Christianity itself as many different aspects to it.
    I could care less about Christmas being a federally mandated holiday, but think about the bold part I just underlined in your post. I have a feeling you wouldn't be celebrating Ramadan if it was a federally mandated holiday because "there's many aspects" to Islam.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,261
    vCash:
    1259
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I could care less about Christmas being a federally mandated holiday, but think about the bold part I just underlined in your post. I have a feeling you wouldn't be celebrating Ramadan if it was a federally mandated holiday because "there's many aspects" to Islam.
    No, I wouldn’t be celebrating it, but if I lived in a nation that had predominately Islamic roots I would have no problem with it being a federal holiday as long as I was not forced to celebrate it. You are not forced to celebrate Christmas.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,343
    vCash:
    4248
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    I agree that he is confusing different denominations of Christianity as being different religions, but you don't think someone can view Christianity as a philosophy as well? I actually know a few people who ascribe to most of the philosophy of Christianity but would not describe themselves as religious (if I am not mistaken even Dawkins describes himself as a “cultural Christian”). I believe that is the point Bill is trying to make, we can have a federal holiday that celebrates the birth of Christ without necessarily endorsing any particular religion because Christianity itself as many different aspects to it.
    I think a funnier aspect to this is the fact that Silverman said his main objection to Christmas being a federal holiday is the fact he is “forced” to take it off from work but then later in the interview admitted that he will in fact be working on Christmas.
    Well any religion can be seen as a sort of philosophy so the argument of whether its a religion or a philosophy is kind of silly. It can be both and is both.

    As far as the Christmas thing, Im about as non-religious as you can get, but I dont personally see the issue with publicly acknowledging Christmas and even the whole nativity thing. To me, that story and the holiday in general transcend religious beliefs and have become cultural. I think if you are offended by a nativity scene or any other Christmas decorations youre trying too hard to be offended. Its just as much a part of our culture as it is a part of a religion. The time spent complaining about Christmas decorations would be better spent on church/state issues that are actually issues.




    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,261
    vCash:
    1259
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Well any religion can be seen as a sort of philosophy so the argument of whether its a religion or a philosophy is kind of silly. It can be both and is both.

    As far as the Christmas thing, Im about as non-religious as you can get, but I dont personally see the issue with publicly acknowledging Christmas and even the whole nativity thing. To me, that story and the holiday in general transcend religious beliefs and have become cultural. I think if you are offended by a nativity scene or any other Christmas decorations youre trying too hard to be offended. Its just as much a part of our culture as it is a part of a religion. The time spent complaining about Christmas decorations would be better spent on church/state issues that are actually issues.
    We completely agree on something. Careful, you'll hurt your "street cred" if you agree wtih me too many times. :-)
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    8,305
    vCash:
    30706
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Well any religion can be seen as a sort of philosophy so the argument of whether its a religion or a philosophy is kind of silly. It can be both and is both.

    As far as the Christmas thing, Im about as non-religious as you can get, but I dont personally see the issue with publicly acknowledging Christmas and even the whole nativity thing. To me, that story and the holiday in general transcend religious beliefs and have become cultural. I think if you are offended by a nativity scene or any other Christmas decorations youre trying too hard to be offended. Its just as much a part of our culture as it is a part of a religion. The time spent complaining about Christmas decorations would be better spent on church/state issues that are actually issues.
    Both sides are sort of pretending the nativity scene debate is not about the role of religion in public life when everyone knows it is. A nativity scene on public property stands for something. It being stopped from being put on public property also stands for something. And that something is all that's really being debated, no matter what anybody says.

    Same with the 10 Commandments in front of courthouses, which is even more egregious, imo.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    8,305
    vCash:
    30706
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    Why is this not in the Religion forum? Or are you Rob agreeing with Bill that Christianity is not a religion and therefore this belongs in this forum?
    I haven't seen O'Relly's original comments but I'm going to assume he's asserting this about Christianity as a means to protect it from the separation of church and state, which is a political issue.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Reily Reiff Article
    By Pat-London in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
  2. How high do you think Reily Cooper will go in the draft?
    By DirkDiggler in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
  3. How high do you think Reily Cooper will go in the draft?
    By DirkDiggler in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 05:20 PM
  4. I have a question about Christianity
    By DzakkH13 in forum Religion Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
  5. Serious question about Christianity.
    By Alex44 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •