Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bill O'Reily Says Christianity is NOT a Religion

1. -11
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Well any religion can be seen as a sort of philosophy so the argument of whether its a religion or a philosophy is kind of silly. It can be both and is both.

As far as the Christmas thing, Im about as non-religious as you can get, but I dont personally see the issue with publicly acknowledging Christmas and even the whole nativity thing. To me, that story and the holiday in general transcend religious beliefs and have become cultural. I think if you are offended by a nativity scene or any other Christmas decorations youre trying too hard to be offended. Its just as much a part of our culture as it is a part of a religion. The time spent complaining about Christmas decorations would be better spent on church/state issues that are actually issues.
    We completely agree on something. Careful, you'll hurt your "street cred" if you agree wtih me too many times. :-)
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    No, I wouldnít be celebrating it, but if I lived in a nation that had predominately Islamic roots I would have no problem with it being a federal holiday as long as I was not forced to celebrate it. You are not forced to celebrate Christmas.
    That's all well & good, but you can see how that is favoring one religion to another. O'Reily's contention that because 'things can be learned & taken' from Christianity makes it a philosophy & not a religion, is not correct. You can take & learn things from all religions. All religion's have a philosophical element to them.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Constitution prohibits the passing of laws respecting the establishment of a religion, favoring Christianity is not the same as establishing it as a national religion. Jefferson and Madison had no problem with church services being held in government buildings on Sundays; in fact they even attended services in the Congressional Hall. Itís obvious that their intentions behind the establishment clause had nothing to do with Government favoring Christianity; Christianity is the most culturally influential religion in American history and therefore it should receive more attention for these historical reasons alone much like Judaism should in Israel and Islam in the U.A.E..
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    The Constitution prohibits the passing of laws respecting the establishment of a religion, favoring Christianity is not the same as establishing it as a national religion. Jefferson and Madison had no problem with church services being held in government buildings on Sundays; in fact they even attended services in the Congressional Hall. Itís obvious that their intentions behind the establishment clause had nothing to do with Government favoring Christianity; Christianity is the most culturally influential religion in American history and therefore it should receive more attention for these historical reasons alone much like Judaism should in Israel and Islam in the U.A.E..
    I have no problem with it's celebration, I celebrate it myself; though not for the birth of Christ, but because it's a cultural tradition. I understand the history. That however, doesn't lessen his claim about a particular religion getting preferential treatment, nor does it make O'Reily's contention about it not being a religion any less ludicrous.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I have no problem with it's celebration, I celebrate it myself; though not for the birth of Christ, but because it's a cultural tradition. I understand the history. That however, doesn't lessen his claim about a particular religion getting preferential treatment, nor does it make O'Reily's contention about it not being a religion any less ludicrous.

OíReilly was right about it being a philosophy but wrong about it not being a religion. However, Silverman was wrong about the constitution prohibiting the government from treating one religion differently from the rest; no such prohibition exists in the constitution. He may not like the government doing that, but that doesnít make it unconstitutional.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    OíReilly was right about it being a philosophy but wrong about it not being a religion. However, Silverman was wrong about the constitution prohibiting the government from treating one religion differently from the rest; no such prohibition exists in the constitution. He may not like the government doing that, but that doesnít make it unconstitutional.
    I'm with you about people getting too easily offended, so let me ask you this; Would you have a problem if a particularly Jewish neighborhood decided to decorate a publicly funded park with Hanukkah decorations? Or Islamic Ramadan decorations in a public park? Or Quanza decorations in a public park?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm with you about people getting too easily offended, so let me ask you this; Would you have a problem if a particularly Jewish neighborhood decided to decorate a publicly funded park with Hanukkah decorations? Or Islamic Ramadan decorations in a public park? Or Quanza decorations in a public park?
    No problem with that at all, people in America are free to express their religious beliefs however they wish.
    Last edited by Statler Waldorf; 12-04-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    No problem with that at all, people in America are free to express their religious beliefs however they wish.
    Okay, but we agree though that religious expression shouldn't be taking place at publicly funded schools though, yes? So where exactly is it that you draw that line?
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Bench Warmer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Okay, but we agree though that religious expression shouldn't be taking place at publicly funded schools though, yes?
    What do you mean by this exactly?
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    What do you mean by this exactly?
    I should be more clear with what I mean by "expression". When I say this I'm not talking about students wearing certain clothing or anything like that. What I mean is, we shouldn't be pushing any religious agenda on children in publicly funded schools.
    Quote Quote