Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Dansby on Philbin benching Odrick and Wake: "They have to be in the game. Period."

1. -51
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    meh... Fact is the DL played great until the final drive, and in a lot of those drives you had Misi putting his hand on the ground, and you had McDaniel in the game alot.

Last week against the Seahawks, what adjustment did Coyle make to help the run defense? Took Wake out and put McDaniel in at DE so our DL was McDaniel-Starks-Solia-Odrick. Worked out well.

And I could care less about Jeff Fisher and the Rams. They're basically in the same position we are; Good defense that has lapses at times, and an offense that can be stagnant for long stretches. Arguing about that is pointless.
    Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GasPed View Post
    Yeah, Wake or Odrick may not have made a difference on that drive, but how was Coyle supposed to know that when he sat them?? The Pats mostly ran it up the gut, but there's no way Coyle said ahead of time "oh, they're just going to run it up the middle, might as well rest my starting DE's". You're giving him way too much credit - yes, his decision to sit them may not have cost us, but that was plain dumb luck, and it sure doesn't make his decision right.

Furthermore, you have it totally backwards in your last sentence - I completely support Dansby's right to have stupid opinions, but what I don't support is his right to speak them in public, especially when they completely contradict his coaches' opinions. That's a surefire way to start a locker room and media firestorm - blasting your coaches' decisions. In fact, in this case, I actually agree with Dansby's viewpoint - we should have our best players out there at that critical time. But spouting off in public is not the way to deal with it - if you have a problem, deal with it behind closed doors, not in the media. That is, unless you think sharing your opinion is more important than the team.
    I see what you're saying on Cam Wake. I really do. There's something to be said for never having a star player out of the game during critical moments, even if this was predictably going to be a run-out-the-clock drive, and Cam Wake is not really a run defender. I look at his snap participation during the game though and I think something else was going on there. He's not a 65% type of guy, he's more like an 85% guy. Thing is, before we even know what's going on behind the scenes that led into that decision, it's hard to sit here and make blanket statements about disagreeing or thinking it's stupid, etc.

As for Odrick I stand by what I said. To this point in the season he's been like an 85% player and that is flat STOOPID in my opinion. He's an overstuffed 300+ lbs defensive tackle trying to play defensive end where he's going to exert more energy than he's used to because he's running a wider track play for play, and for him to lead the entire D-Line in snaps is absolutely insane. They made a conscious effort in this game to reduce his snaps and I absolutely agree with that decision. And I noticed that the pass rush success he enjoyed in this game was arguably his 2nd best all year. I don't think that was a coincidence. So for Dansby to sit here and pretend like Odrick is one of those players you can say should "be on the field. Period." is god damn idiotic. And I think his replacement did just as good a job as he would have on that drive.

As for the last part of your response, it's a difference of opinion. I'm tired of teams that have Nazi-esque media policies with their players to where they can't say anything about anything. I don't think it's good for the game. I'm happy to allow players to speak their mind even if it runs slightly against the grain, WITHIN REASON. What I'm not happy with is the player doing it stupidly. Dansby's reaction to Chad OchoCinco getting fired was STOOPID. I don't mind if he expressed his disagreement with the move, if he had valid and thoughtful reasons. He didn't.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Also should be taken into consideration that with the amount of time the Dolphins still had on the clock when the Patriots began that drive, there was reason to believe that was not in any way going to be the Patriots' last drive of the game. By all means going by all standards your mindset is that this is the Patriots' 2nd to last drive of the game, and the last drive is going to be more important to have your best players on the field for than the 2nd to last drive. So yeah, that probably figured into their mindset. It's easy in hindsight since the Patriots were able to take an astounding 7.5 minutes off the clock with that one drive, to sit here and treat it as if everyone knew that was going to be THE drive...but if I were in that situation I think I would have thought that it was one drive earlier than THE drive.
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dansby is starting to mouth off a little bit too much.. Honestly if philbin wants to get rid of him I wouldn't be opposed..

HOTTEST OWNERS IN THE GAME!!!
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oraclepz View Post
    Dansby is starting to mouth off a little bit too much.. Honestly if philbin wants to get rid of him I wouldn't be opposed..
    Every time he does it that puts him one step closer to being dismissed.
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chicago
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Man what to make of this ****.
    Imho, either there was some sideline drama with Wake, which I doubt, or Miami is tanking.
    Days later, I have a hard time believing the snap count thing.
    I can understand going into the game, the need for snap counts and keeping players fresh. Esp vs NE.
    But during the game, during that situation, Philbin doesn't strike me like a ''Sporano-stubborn-stick to your pregame plan to the end'' type of guy.
    I thought Philbin is this innovative, split practice field, etc type of guy.

It's just all a little weird. Maybe it was as simple as their explanation. Either way I'm still pissed off about it.
    Odrick I don't mind but Wake should never be out unless for obvious reasons.

I understand that maybe their backups didn't **** up, so they are not to blame.
    But who's to say that Wake wouldn't have Stepped Up, and make an exta-ordinary play.
    It's not about just ''not ****ing up.''
    Somebody has to ''Step Up'' out of the norm and make a great play.
    And who better than Wake to give us that chance?

I would sleep better at night if I knew the reason was tanking, and not because of this snap count/keep Wake fresh ****.
    I mean the dude is Trying to get onto to the field and they hold him back? Wtf
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    Starting to hear voices

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sorry that I did not read through the entire thread to see if any one mentioned this, but Dansby said he did not know they were not in the game. As MLB, shouldn't he be expected to notice something like that?
    JMB
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Releasing Dansby would simply be another step backwards. Can we start keeping talented players at some point?
    Quote Quote  

9. -59
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chicago
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dansby has been playing with a torn biceps, he deserves much respect for that.
    But yeah, not knowing that Wake/Odrick weren't in the game?
    I dunno, it's all troubling.
    Releasing Dansby is going to create another hole to fill, an unexpected one at that.
    I would rather keep Dansby 100%.
    Cap hit blows that's for sure, but we are going to have a Lot of cap space.
    Philbin probably is not going to go crazy during FA anyways, we are going to have a lot cap space going into next year, at least I think so.
    I'm not saying to start giving out new bloated overpriced contracts now cause of extra cap space.
    But Dansby's contract has been done, ride it through imho.
    He is still our best lb, and he's got versatility so we can always slide him if we draft/sign somebody.
    I say keep him until we we have his replacement on the roster/patch up some other areas on the team.
    Last edited by sirvmac; 12-05-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -60
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We can't keep letting go of our good players just because they disagree with the coach. This is getting old! We can't expect to have choir boys and "yes men" players and still be able to compete with elite teams. We need to have some "bad boys" in the locker room, somebody that will light fires up peoples arses and get the team fired up. We don't have that because our staff is worried about image more than winning..... I wanna win baby!!!
    Quote Quote