Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Should he (Ireland) stay or should he go?

1. -41
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    not defending Ireland, but if you are going to credit him for the 7-9 seasons , why not the 11-5 season? If you are going to not count the 2008 season because of Parcells, I wouldn't count the 2009 and somewhat the 2010 season. The 2011 season was Ireland's first draft where he had 100% total control.
    You can credit him either way. If you count the 2008 season, when the Phins had an easy schedule, Brady was hurt, and Pennington fell into their laps, that's okay. But then the last 4 years have been losing seasons. If you look at the Phins picks in rounds 1-4 from 2008-2011, you'll see that 9 of the 17 players drafted are no longer with the team. Henne, Pat White, AJ Edds, Merling, Langford, Murphy, Gates, Turner, Vontae Davis are all gone. Those are premium picks that you build a team with. The fact that only 1 player in those 4 drafts went to a Pro Bowl is sad and the one that did was the #1 overall pick (a hard one to miss on). I just think those picks should have built the foundation for the team, instead we have nothing to show for them. And Parcells has his fingerprints in there, no doubt, but Ireland was the GM and was at the very least a major influencer in those drafts.

Now, if you look at the Dolphins at the end of the 2010 season, they were 7-9. Teams that finished worse than them? Broncos (#4 in AFC now), Texans (#1 in AFC now), 49ers (#2 in NFC now)...all had worse records than the Dolphins after Ireland completely took over. We're 2 years into him controlling everything and look like we're headed for a sub-.500 season again. Going into this season, the Phins needed a WR, OL, Pass Rusher, QB, TE. The only one you can really cross off that list is QB (and that's because they invested the #8 pick on Tannehill, whom I have faith in).

Look at the 2011 draft. Pouncey in the 1st round. I don't like taking centers that high, but I like Pouncey and can see him being a Pro Bowler someday. Beyond that? Trading up for Daniel Thomas? 2 picks after him, Randall Cobb was taken. About 20 picks later? Stevan Ridley was taken by the Pats...and he just passed the 1,000 yard mark. Ridley also averages about 1 yard per carry more than Thomas this season. 2nd round pick for Brandon Marshall - and he's gone. Clyde Gates - Gone. Charles Clay? Wildly inconsistent and minimal impact. Frank Kearse - gone. Jimmy Wilson - dime corner and special teammer. I don't see that as a successful draft.

This year, I liked the Tannehill pick and have hope for Lamar Miller. If Martin can take over at LT I'd say it's a successful draft. But Egnew has to be considered a failure at this point. I've caught as many balls as him this year. Vernon is a special teammer and a pass rusher who can't consistently pressure the QB.

All I'm saying is that I haven't seen enough talent from the draft or free agency to justify giving Ireland the chance with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and $40 mil in cap space.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't forget about Legadoo, I wonder if a team has ever cut their starting WR after 4 games before
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinNation View Post
    You can credit him either way. If you count the 2008 season, when the Phins had an easy schedule, Brady was hurt, and Pennington fell into their laps, that's okay. But then the last 4 years have been losing seasons. If you look at the Phins picks in rounds 1-4 from 2008-2011, you'll see that 9 of the 17 players drafted are no longer with the team. Henne, Pat White, AJ Edds, Merling, Langford, Murphy, Gates, Turner, Vontae Davis are all gone. Those are premium picks that you build a team with. The fact that only 1 player in those 4 drafts went to a Pro Bowl is sad and the one that did was the #1 overall pick (a hard one to miss on). I just think those picks should have built the foundation for the team, instead we have nothing to show for them. And Parcells has his fingerprints in there, no doubt, but Ireland was the GM and was at the very least a major influencer in those drafts.

Now, if you look at the Dolphins at the end of the 2010 season, they were 7-9. Teams that finished worse than them? Broncos (#4 in AFC now), Texans (#1 in AFC now), 49ers (#2 in NFC now)...all had worse records than the Dolphins after Ireland completely took over. We're 2 years into him controlling everything and look like we're headed for a sub-.500 season again. Going into this season, the Phins needed a WR, OL, Pass Rusher, QB, TE. The only one you can really cross off that list is QB (and that's because they invested the #8 pick on Tannehill, whom I have faith in).

Look at the 2011 draft. Pouncey in the 1st round. I don't like taking centers that high, but I like Pouncey and can see him being a Pro Bowler someday. Beyond that? Trading up for Daniel Thomas? 2 picks after him, Randall Cobb was taken. About 20 picks later? Stevan Ridley was taken by the Pats...and he just passed the 1,000 yard mark. Ridley also averages about 1 yard per carry more than Thomas this season. 2nd round pick for Brandon Marshall - and he's gone. Clyde Gates - Gone. Charles Clay? Wildly inconsistent and minimal impact. Frank Kearse - gone. Jimmy Wilson - dime corner and special teammer. I don't see that as a successful draft.

This year, I liked the Tannehill pick and have hope for Lamar Miller. If Martin can take over at LT I'd say it's a successful draft. But Egnew has to be considered a failure at this point. I've caught as many balls as him this year. Vernon is a special teammer and a pass rusher who can't consistently pressure the QB.

All I'm saying is that I haven't seen enough talent from the draft or free agency to justify giving Ireland the chance with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and $40 mil in cap space.
    Not to mention that center became a need because he traded Satele and signed Jake Grove to a hefty contract, which was his once a year huge FA bust. Pouncey is really good and all, but it would have been nice to use that pick on a more important position.

Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The track record is poor and confidence in ireland is low among a majority of fans. The fans want changes. Ross is a business man. He surely realizes that if Ireland bombs again in 2013 we will likely be starting from scratch again. The wise move is to change GM's now. Get someone that Philbin truely wants to work with...not just tolerate.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Understand your point dade, but when you consider that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the veteran free agents signed this offseason are no longer on the 53 man roster, it's hard to say that Ireland is gonna make smart Free Agent signings. He replaced Brandon Marshall with Naanee and Ochocinco. Neither lasted into October on the team. The fact that NOT ONE veteran FA is still on the active roster is a failure. Why believe that next year will be different?

But is that really on him that either he couldn't get the right WR after Marshall left? Marshall had to had to go and it's over with I get that, but you have to understand that YOU CANNOT get all the pieces in in e offseason man, you just can't. Point being the team is on the right track. (Carpenter makes a few goals and we're in Great shape) this roster will have lots of depth and impact players during the offseason. It's not a bad thing that the vets he signed aren't here, maybe that means they don't need, right?!? Maybe there fine with the young players they got? It's year one of this era, and I love it. Once again, he will me shopping for philbins PLAYERS! So I guess you don't faith in our coach either than? And one more thing, I'm glad I have an owner who's willing to open his pockets!!! And remember what Ross said, the teams number one priority is THE WR Position!! Jeff said the Same thing, everyone knows man, and they same way they tried with Marshall is the same whau they will either sign Jennings or Wallace and it draft one. Make since yet?? See the big picture??? If you add a stud WR, how many more wins is that, I'd say 2, a corner and another safety is another win. I've said before, when smith had that season he did his second year and everyone was gushing all overrrrr him even me, smith is a damn number 2 and in this league you need them. He drafted him and I'm fine with him finding a number one since he found number 2. We all thought Davis would be the alpha one and looked like it but he is sucking for the colts! Credit to him for getting a 2nd for him, because he ain't worth that now. Is it his fault that Davis just started to decline or Marshall wants to have mental problem and bet women?? Is it his faut or is it not??? He did his part right??? But it didn't work, no one could of seen Davis turning into a lazy bum or Marshall having the drops, or FAT TUNA yes, tuna drafted long and passé on Matty, because of his out of date let's build threw the trenches, and draft a qb in the second!! Make since right. I just wish people would actually think about it first before they want to kill the man. Once again I wanna ask you guys how many all pros can you count right now this season on this team. F the media crap, us as knowledgable fans. How many is one this team right now, that has Jeff's name on it??
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami Gardens
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dade View Post
    But is that really on him that either he couldn't get the right WR after Marshall left? Marshall had to had to go and it's over with I get that, but you have to understand that YOU CANNOT get all the pieces in in e offseason man, you just can't. Point being the team is on the right track. (Carpenter makes a few goals and we're in Great shape) this roster will have lots of depth and impact players during the offseason. It's not a bad thing that the vets he signed aren't here, maybe that means they don't need, right?!? Maybe there fine with the young players they got? It's year one of this era, and I love it. Once again, he will me shopping for philbins PLAYERS! So I guess you don't faith in our coach either than? And one more thing, I'm glad I have an owner who's willing to open his pockets!!! And remember what Ross said, the teams number one priority is THE WR Position!! Jeff said the Same thing, everyone knows man, and they same way they tried with Marshall is the same whau they will either sign Jennings or Wallace and it draft one. Make since yet?? See the big picture??? If you add a stud WR, how many more wins is that, I'd say 2, a corner and another safety is another win. I've said before, when smith had that season he did his second year and everyone was gushing all overrrrr him even me, smith is a damn number 2 and in this league you need them. He drafted him and I'm fine with him finding a number one since he found number 2. We all thought Davis would be the alpha one and looked like it but he is sucking for the colts! Credit to him for getting a 2nd for him, because he ain't worth that now. Is it his fault that Davis just started to decline or Marshall wants to have mental problem and bet women?? Is it his faut or is it not??? He did his part right??? But it didn't work, no one could of seen Davis turning into a lazy bum or Marshall having the drops, or FAT TUNA yes, tuna drafted long and passé on Matty, because of his out of date let's build threw the trenches, and draft a qb in the second!! Make since right. I just wish people would actually think about it first before they want to kill the man. Once again I wanna ask you guys how many all pros can you count right now this season on this team. F the media crap, us as knowledgable fans. How many is one this team right now, that has Jeff's name on it??
    I really hope you're just trolling.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dade View Post
    We will just have to agree to disagree dade. Your example of Vontae playing like crap in Indy illustrates my point. Ireland DRAFTED him with a 1st round pick and traded him for a 2nd? That's 3 wasted years an a downgrade in value. Marshall? Ireland knew full well that Marshall was a risk, so he shouldn't have been surprised when he got into a fight with his wife. He got burnt and lost value again when he traded Marshall for 2 3rds when he paid 2 2nds for him. I know everything cant be fixed in one offseason. But, what, realistically was fixed this season? Needs going in: OL, QB, WR, TE, Pass Rusher....We MIGHT be able to cross QB off that list. The Oline is still not performing above average and it has 2 1st rd picks, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick, and a verteran FA. If he had made some wise free agent moves, it would have crossed some of those needs off the list. Instead, NOT ONE VETERAN FREE AGENT IS still on the 53 man roster....not 1...Again, if you don't see think these are mistakes/failures, we'll just have to agree to disagree, which is fine and what these forums are about, right? lol
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We will just have to agree to disagree dade. Your example of Vontae playing like crap in Indy illustrates my point. Ireland DRAFTED him with a 1st round pick and traded him for a 2nd? That's 3 wasted years an a downgrade in value. Marshall? Ireland knew full well that Marshall was a risk, so he shouldn't have been surprised when he got into a fight with his wife. He got burnt and lost value again when he traded Marshall for 2 3rds when he paid 2 2nds for him. I know everything cant be fixed in one offseason. But, what, realistically was fixed this season? Needs going in: OL, QB, WR, TE, Pass Rusher....We MIGHT be able to cross QB off that list. The Oline is still not performing above average and it has 2 1st rd picks, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick, and a verteran FA. If he had made some wise free agent moves, it would have crossed some of those needs off the list. Instead, NOT ONE VETERAN FREE AGENT IS still on the 53 man roster....not 1...Again, if you don't see think these are mistakes/failures, we'll just have to agree to disagree, which is fine and what these forums are about, right? lol
    Man, I totaly agree with you but I guess you're wasting your breath with some of the people here. The people that want Ireland to stay have been saying now for 4 years that "you can't fix everything in one year". This guy has been a disgrace in free agency and the draft both.When he should be drafting playmakers he kept drafting olinemen and yet, the oline is still a problem.I've said this before, our problem started long before JI came here, I get that. But he has not fix anything so why oh why should we believe that he will change something now? And if everything can't be fix in one year then does that means we need to give him 4 more years? Insanity!!

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    A very famous spit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What indication has Ireland given anybody that one more year as G.M. will miraculously turn this team around into a playoff team in 2013?

IF anything, he's demonstrated an ability to constantly create more holes when there was NO reason to, like trading Marshall and Davis. Ireland has overseen the worst 4 year stretch in Dolphin's history.

We are at a critical juncture of this franchise. Fan support is totally apathetic, the national spotlight is completely gone, no Nationally televised games this year and definitely none next year. Our stadium is a disgrace. It's time to scratch things and go in a different direction, if that's not obvious to anybody, I shutter to think what you do in your normal lives.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Incidentally I'd just like to point out that Vontae Davis has had only ONE bad game in Indianapolis and it was the Week 1 game where he had only just been shipped off to Indy like a FedEx package earlier in the week, still didn't know the defense, didn't have any feel for the rest of the players in the secondary, yet was tossed into the waiting jaws of Brandon Marshall for 71 snaps.

The four games he's played after that one game, he's gotten positive Overall and Coverage ratings from Pro Football Focus in each of the four games. He's allowed 7.2 yards per attempt and only 0.94 yards per coverage snap and 1 touchdown. Those numbers are better than Sean Smith's numbers for 12 games.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote