Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: If we DUMP Jake Long...

1. -41
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If ur gonna spend a first rounder on a LT you may as well just resign Jake...Miami has the cap to sign him..we just need to ask for a bit of a home town discount.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm still of the opinion that we offer Long 8-9 Million a year in a long term deal, could live with a stretch to 10, if he takes it great, if not let the guy walk and see if anyone else pays him more. If they've looked at his general play over the last 2 years and his injury record throughout his time in the NFL then they would be crazy to pay him more. Not sure what's going to be out there in terms of tackles in FA that we could pick up to replace Long if someone does overpay for him. If there's nothing then we may need to consider a first round tackle again

The fly in the ointment here though is how well Martin does at LT in his absence, if he does significantly better than how he's done at RT, then we have a more difficult decision as we can't afford to have 2 starting caliber LTs and Martin is clearly then not a RT. In that case sensible route to go is let Long walk, bring in a FA RT or draft a RT in round 2 or 3.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    Not IMO. I do not see the point in paying less for a player who sucks anyways. If a player sucks, he sucks, regardless of what his salary is. If we paid him 15M, or if we paid him 6M, it doesnt matter, because he is still getting holding penalties, false starts, and giving up sacks. We need to cut our ties with him and start over. That being said, I do not advocate for spending anything higher than our second 3rd rounder at right tackle.
    Jake Long has given up 4 sacks on the year. Thats doesnt suck no matter what way you look at it. You are confusing being overpaid with sucking. He is overpaid, and has played below his own standards, but he's still pretty good compared to most LTs around the league, and he's going to be better than anyone you draft in the 3rd round. He has value to us.

We are in the business of aquiring talent, not cap space. Letting Long walk means we waste another pick on an OL. It means we have to replace talent, instead of building on talent we already have. At some point you have to start adding talent, instead of replacing talent.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Yeah let's do it lets continue to drop high draft picks and ridiculous free agent dollars on cornfed crap! It has been working so well for say the last half decade!
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunaphish429 View Post
    If ur gonna spend a first rounder on a LT you may as well just resign Jake...Miami has the cap to sign him..we just need to ask for a bit of a home town discount.
    Not strictly true though, with the rookie salary cap, Long's injury issues, and general play, it's not as simple, as you the drafted player would be cheaper, should be fitter and could be better suited to the ZBS. It's a tough call.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Longing for Relevancy...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    If we spend another st rounder on the line, Im not sure any team in history will have invested as much in OL in the span of 5 years.

3 first round picks
    1 second round pick
    1 3rd round pick
    2 or 3 later round picks
    2 big money FA signings
    2 or 3 smaller FA signings

Mind boggling.
    The most depressing part about it is, we utterly failed. Our investments with proper staff would have us an elite top 5 O-Line right now.

"Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see."
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytona Fin View Post
    Does big jake have a brother?
    Yes, whats your point?