Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Did Tannehill really overthrow Hartline?

1. -61
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    The ball drifted too far over Hartline's right shoulder. He's slowing down because he's angling slightly to his right. If the pass is a foot inside, Hartline has every opportunity to make that catch.
    I was sitting in that end zone and the fact that the throw was as close as it was is still amazing to me. There was a strong wind blowing across the field in the same direction that the ball drifted over Hartline's outside shoulder. Carp and Gostkowski were both missing their pregame and halftime kicks by a mile in that direction.
    Quote Quote  

2. -62
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Pass looked to flat just a little more air under it and Hartline runs under for a easy 6
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

3. -63
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I also disagree it was a late throw,it only looks that way do to Brian looking back so early.
    Quote Quote  

4. -64
    Finheaven QB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bottom line is Hartline was WIDE open. The ball was slightly overthrown. Not all receivers run the same speed (obviously) but a QB has to be accurate according to the receiver to whom he is throwing the ball. He missed this one. Oh well. As I said in a previous post, **** happens. He'd hit that way more times than not.

SCall13, Jr.
    Quote Quote  

5. -65
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bflat View Post
    I was sitting in that end zone and the fact that the throw was as close as it was is still amazing to me. There was a strong wind blowing across the field in the same direction that the ball drifted over Hartline's outside shoulder. Carp and Gostkowski were both missing their pregame and halftime kicks by a mile in that direction.
    Which speaks to another point raised in this thread which was why Ryan Tannehill did not loft the ball more, give it more air and let Brian Hartline run under it. If you give the ball more air you let the wind do more with it. Throwing a tighter spiral with a lower trajectory may have been what allowed the football to be as accurate as it was.

And this is something I said immediately on twitter after the play happened, I would RATHER get a receiver to run that route that is capable of running underneath that pass, than teach Ryan Tannehill to loft and/or under throw that pass.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -66
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bflat View Post
    Come on now...stop with these pure facts in the game of inches.......
    Quote Quote  

7. -67
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SCall13 View Post
    Bottom line is Hartline was WIDE open. The ball was slightly overthrown. Not all receivers run the same speed (obviously) but a QB has to be accurate according to the receiver to whom he is throwing the ball. He missed this one. Oh well. As I said in a previous post, **** happens. He'd hit that way more times than not.
    Brian Hartline being as slow as he is relative to the role that he plays in the offense is much more abnormal than Ryan Tannehill being 24 inches off on a 160 foot throw.
    Quote Quote  

8. -68
    Finheaven QB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Brian Hartline being as slow as he is relative to the role that he plays in the offense is much more abnormal than Ryan Tannehill being 24 inches off on a 160 foot throw.
    I'm not downing Tannehill when I say it was overthrown. It doesn't matter if Hartline runs a 4.75 and it doesn't matter his role. When a receiver is that open, you gotta hit him. Again, I think Tannehill will almost always make that connection. But no one is perfect. Perhaps wind played a role in the pass. Regardless, all QBs miss. This looked like an obvious miss to me. I played QB for 18 years. I had my share of misses. No excuses. Just missed.
    Quote Quote  

9. -69
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    These guys work on timing in practice. I dont buy the idea that a WR doesnt catch a ball because he's not fast enough. Speed is a limitation known before the play. You wouldn't throw the same kind of deep ball to Mike Wallace that you would throw to Anthnoy Fasano. Its not like Hartline's speed is unkown to Tannehill, or he's not used to this WR running routes. They work on timing in practice, especially in the WCO. If a WR isnt fast enough, then the QB has to make a throw accordingly.

And as far as throwing late, Tannehill should have thrown when he planted his foot on the last step of his drop. Instead, he take a few baby steps forward after he planted. This was a timinig play, and those few steps make a big difference in Hartline's route. Had he thrown at the botton of his drop like it was designed, Hartline would have looked up at exatly the right time.
    Quote Quote  

10. -70
    Finheaven QB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    These guys work on timing in practice. I dont buy the idea that a WR doesnt catch a ball because he's not fast enough. Speed is a limitation known before the play. You wouldn't throw the same kind of deep ball to Mike Wallace that you would throw to Anthnoy Fasano. Its not like Hartline's speed is unkown to Tannehill, or he's not used to this WR running routes. They work on timing in practice, especially in the WCO. If a WR isnt fast enough, then the QB has to make a throw accordingly.

And as far as throwing late, Tannehill should have thrown when he planted his foot on the last step of his drop. Instead, he take a few baby steps forward after he planted. This was a timinig play, and those few steps make a big difference in Hartline's route. Had he thrown at the botton of his drop like it was designed, Hartline would have looked up at exatly the right time.

I completely agree with you on the timing and on the QBs responsibility to be aware of the speed of his receivers and make the throw accordingly. But I'm not so sure the throw was late. He might have been able to release it slightly earlier. But I don't think that had any bearing on the location of the pass. As long as he didn't run Hartline out of the back of the end zone, the throw was on time. He just missed him by about a foot or so.
    Quote Quote