Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
I'd rather just not take my chances with something that some doctors say might have an aiding effect in degenerative brain damage; early onset of Alzheimer's, that sort of thing. I don't think that poison label on your toothpaste is there because of the peppermint.
These being the operative phrases. I can find "some" doctors saying just about anything can be harmful to you. If you had this same standard about pot, for example, you wouldn't be able to smoke it, because some doctors think it causes cancer or lung trouble. I'm sure you've seen the literature and had a nice laugh about the fringe whackos who wrote it.

Mild fluoriosis. That's all there really is on this. A hardly noticeable condition that only occurs in children and causes no real harm. The rest is just a series of scare warnings about the dangers of "excessive exposure", which is all fine and good but relevant to a system that's properly maintained how?

We have differing opinions on the toothpaste & that's fine, but I think most people would prefer non-fluoridated water to water with fluoride in it.

The burden of proof is on you with this one. This has been an accepted practice now for 70 years and after the initial tinfoil hat commie conspiracy phase, people were convinced that it helps prevent cavities, which wasn't so hard because everyone agrees that it does, and we've heard nary a peep ever since except from the conspiratorial underground.

I mean, this notion that people don't want it really doesn't make any sense to me at all. Where's the mechanism keeping it around if the people don't want it? It only costs $1 per person per year, so I can't see much in the way of lobbyist influence. Where's the upside? For anyone? If anything dentists should be against it since it cuts into their business. But they supported it then and continue to now.

I think the fluoridation of the water supply is the product of a nanny-state with good intentions that could possibly be doing more harm than good. Even most of your fluoride supporting dentists will suggest that fluoride is most effectively applied topically to the teeth & not ingested into the body. On the toothpaste label it says "If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away". So I don't think anyone should want that even in minute levels in a drinking supply if it even had the slightest possibility of having harming effects.
Well, duh. Toothpaste contains between 1,000-1,500 ppm (parts per million) fluoride, whereas the EPA maximum for fluoride in drinking water is 4 ppm. The list of things safe at one dosage and unsafe at 250 times that dosage is pretty long, wouldn't you say?

A personal note, so you know partly where I'm coming from with this: thanks to an adverse reaction my tooth enamel had with the cement they used on my braces, when they finally removed those braces it was discovered I had six severe cavities. About four years after these were drilled the fillings started loosening and it was discovered that decay had continued underneath the fillings which meant I needed them all redone, including two teeth so badly damaged they needed to be capped.

That's 10 fillings and two capped teeth in all, a total cost in pain and money I can't quite begin to describe. Because of my particular circumstances fluoride couldn't save me, but there's a whole lot of people out there who have been saved that pain and cost and believe me it's worth it.