Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Are Compact Fluorescent Lights Harmful?

  1. -1
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    1972 Dolphins Logo

    Are Compact Fluorescent Lights Harmful?

    Lightbulbs break all the time. So why would a single broken bulb in a Maine household trigger the state's
    Department of Environmental Protection to refer the homeowner to a decontaminator?

    The answer lies in the type of bulb that broke—a compact fluorescent lightbulb—and what was inside that bulb. Compact fluorescents, like their tubular fluorescent precursors, contain a small amount of mercury—typically around five milligrams. Mercury is essential to a fluorescent bulb's ability to emit light; no other element has proved as efficient.

    As effective as it is at enabling white light, however, mercury—sometimes called quicksilver—is also highly toxic. It is especially harmful to the brains of both fetuses and children. That's why officials have curtailed or banned its use in applications from thermometers to automotive and thermostat switches. (A single thermostat switch, still common in many homes, may contain 3,000 milligrams (0.1 ounce) of mercury, or as much as 600 compact fluorescents.)

    The problem comes when a bulb breaks. Mercury escapes as vapor that can be inhaled and as a fine powder that can settle into carpet and other textiles. At least one case of mercury poisoning has been linked to fluorescents: A 1987 article in Pediatricsdescribes a 23-month-old who suffered weight loss and severe rashes after a carton of eight-foot (2.4-meter) tubular bulbs broke in a play area.


    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    LANGER72's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite
    Join date:
    Nov 2006
    Right behind you..
    Golf Enthusiasts
Gift received at 04-14-2016, 08:30 PM from fishfanmiami
    I use florescent in some lights (that are on a lot) and incandescent in others.
    To be ecologically prudent..where does one dispose of these mercury laden bulbs that have lived out their usefulness?
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. New Car Shrinks by Nearly Half for Compact Parking
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
  2. Is Flouride Harmful?
    By rob19 in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 06:40 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM
  4. Pft: Handling Of Culpepper Harmful To Fins?
    By AllianceCollect in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 10:20 PM
  5. Ultra Compact Digi Cam Gift Suggestions?
    By Phin-o-rama in forum Finheaven Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 05:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts