Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Are Compact Fluorescent Lights Harmful?

  1. -1
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,234
    vCash:
    6949
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

    Are Compact Fluorescent Lights Harmful?

    Lightbulbs break all the time. So why would a single broken bulb in a Maine household trigger the state's
    Department of Environmental Protection to refer the homeowner to a decontaminator?

    The answer lies in the type of bulb that broke—a compact fluorescent lightbulb—and what was inside that bulb. Compact fluorescents, like their tubular fluorescent precursors, contain a small amount of mercury—typically around five milligrams. Mercury is essential to a fluorescent bulb's ability to emit light; no other element has proved as efficient.

    As effective as it is at enabling white light, however, mercury—sometimes called quicksilver—is also highly toxic. It is especially harmful to the brains of both fetuses and children. That's why officials have curtailed or banned its use in applications from thermometers to automotive and thermostat switches. (A single thermostat switch, still common in many homes, may contain 3,000 milligrams (0.1 ounce) of mercury, or as much as 600 compact fluorescents.)

    The problem comes when a bulb breaks. Mercury escapes as vapor that can be inhaled and as a fine powder that can settle into carpet and other textiles. At least one case of mercury poisoning has been linked to fluorescents: A 1987 article in Pediatricsdescribes a 23-month-old who suffered weight loss and severe rashes after a carton of eight-foot (2.4-meter) tubular bulbs broke in a play area.


    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=are-compact-fluorescent-lightbulbs-dangerous
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    LANGER72's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2006
    Posts:
    8,420
    vCash:
    23970
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I use florescent in some lights (that are on a lot) and incandescent in others.
    To be ecologically prudent..where does one dispose of these mercury laden bulbs that have lived out their usefulness?
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. New Car Shrinks by Nearly Half for Compact Parking
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
  2. Is Flouride Harmful?
    By rob19 in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 06:40 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM
  4. Pft: Handling Of Culpepper Harmful To Fins?
    By AllianceCollect in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 10:20 PM
  5. Ultra Compact Digi Cam Gift Suggestions?
    By Phin-o-rama in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 05:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •