Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Barry Jackson: Early peek at Dolphins' options in 2013 draft

1. -51
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Crystal River, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    It really depends on how the draft falls as to how soon I would look at Allen. What I do know is this... if I'm taking a receiver in the top 15 of this draft, it's going to be Cordarrelle Patterson. I certainly don't subscribe to any notion that Allen belongs in a category with Julio Jones or A.J. Green, if such a notion exists. He's a nice package at the wide receiver position though.

Personally, I don't think a team like Miami could do any better than a Cordarrelle Patterson/Stedman Bailey combination. If you can come away with that, you're well on your way in my estimation.

As for the CB position, I just haven't been able to identify a specific player among the Senior class that separates from the pack. I have a similar take on most of 'em. They essentially stack up in groups together as opposed to individually. It comes down more to scheme fit and what type of corner you're looking for in order to choose one over the other at this point. Again, if I'm taking one in the top 15 or so picks here, it'd be Milliner.

I realize the need to address these positions, although I wouldn't allow myself to pass up a talent I feel much better about at a different position for the sake of addressing the need...especially if I were to end up on the clock inside the top 10 picks.
    I think the Patterson situation reminds me so much of the Woods/Lee situation the past 2 years at USC. From the very first game against NC State, with his 67 yard TD run, and the big plays throughout the year, you find yourself not wanting to believe he is better than Justin Hunter because he is new on the scene. However, much like with Lee surpassing Woods, I would take Patterson all day, everyday over Hunter. Patterson has some TO-esque qualities to him, in how dangerous he is in the intermediate game, and how he uses his body to shield defenders.

Although part of the issue with Patterson is how sure are you about the guy, when you have a 5 week stretch where he has only 10 catches. I think a lot of the Patterson hype is based on projection. For a JUCO guy, you take out a 9 catch, 219 yard effort against Troy, and you have a guy with 37 catches for for 559 yards. Is this a guy who is worthy of a top 15 pick? When you read stories of him talking of his lack of love for the game in high school, it makes you wonder if his heart is going to be in it once he finds some adversity in the pros.

All that being said, I am on board with Patterson in the top 15. For how good he already is, the arrow is pointing up, and he hasn't really tapped into all of his potential. If I am Jeff Ireland, and this guy can convince me he wants to be the best, to help grow Ryan Tannehill to elite status, then I am thinking long and hard about pulling the trigger on this guy. He is the most explosive player of his size in the draft, and can wreak havoc on secondaries for years to come.
    Quote Quote  

2. -52
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Crystal River, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In fact, what do you think some of the reasons are for Robert Woods hype train to be losing a lot of steam. I know that Lee has outperformed him considerably, but from a route running standpoint, Woods is pretty close to elite. His ability to create seperation with even the most subtle of moves is impressive for a guy in college. I have seen him drop a few passes, but not to the point I think of it being epidemic. For everything we want in a wideout in the WCO, Woods would fit very well, IMO. I think he is probably going to test very well from an athletic standpoint at the combine. I seem to find a high consensus this is a guy who is falling out of round 1, and I am not sure I see that happening. At the very least, I think he is a for sure top 40 selection were he to not be picked on day 1.
    Quote Quote  

3. -53
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    I hesitate to pick a wr first round especially if we are able to fill a need with bpa at a different position. I still clinge to hope of drafting one of those good edge rushers, but you never know how the board is going to fall. IMHO, there will be lots of WR's sitting there for the taking in the early parts of round two, and I think that is where I would target my first WR selection. regardless of how FREE agency falls.
    Quote Quote  

4. -54
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Agree with Slimm if you can walk away with both Patterson and Bailey, then you have done well. I would love to see Miami be really bold to try and make this happen. With 5 picks in the first three rounds its not beyond the realms of impossibilty.

This draft must be about acquiring talented playmakers for Tannehill to grow with.
    Last edited by jamvinny; 12-08-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -55
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    I think Miami gets offensive line help in free agency and heads into the draft looking for skilled players on offense, pass rusher and help in the secondary. I'm not overwhelmed with the FA receivers being talked about and I don't expect this front office to pay big so we can most likely rule out Mike Wallace. We will find a servicable RT either later in the draft or in FA. At least that's my opinion. That would open it up to get Eifert, a burner like Austin or Wheaton in round 2 and pass rusher somewhere in the early mix.
    i'm hearin we arent going free agency at all per barry jackson. all time best dolphin reporter IMO.

I def think we need a burner type WR and nothing else until Swope in round 3/4. I see OL in our future too and it just might be with our first pick. I think we need two G's and a T overall. Get one in 6th or 7th round.

Wallace I have warmed up to because he is a burner but a costly one at that. Everything will hinge on draft again and Ireland is bound to find one or two undrafted gems. Another Samuda for G would be excellent.
    Quote Quote  

6. -56
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Patterson reminds me a lot of Holmes in a way. He shifts and makes defenders miss with very little "knee bend" and "loss of speed" that is NOT an easy thing to do.

His shifts/jukes are very very minimal but so effective becasue it is at full speed where as a guy like Bush almost goes to a complete stop than goes again. This type of shiftiness allows for CONSTANT YAC.
    Quote Quote  

7. -57
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The players I would lvoe to see in Miami are Patterson, Barr, not a big fan of Allen, looks too much like a come back route WR like Hartline/Bess, Elam I am a fan of, not a fan of any CB at hte moment and I am obsessed with Te'o.

A win for Miami is Te'o, Patterson, Barr, forgot the DE but the cat from FSU, with Ertz in round 2.

A WR tandem of Wallace/Bowe with Patterson would be unreal because Patterson is a complete YAC machine and Bowe would be a good compliment to him. Wallace is great we know that but he will want crazy money so we will see.
    Quote Quote  

8. -58
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I haven't heard but I'm hoping Adrian Bushell and Mario Benavides get Senior Bowl invites. I don't think we would have any interest in Benavides (C/G) but I think a middle round pick on Bushell for our CB corp could be a good pickup. Maybe I'll Tweet Benavides and see if he or Adrian got invites.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote