Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barry Jackson: Early peek at Dolphins' options in 2013 draft

1. -31
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    This is my guy for sure. If we have to put someone young at RT then this guy helps out in that regard and gives the ultimate red zone threat.

I just dont see Philbin pickin WR in 1st round. People on here are going to be so dissapointed but Dwayne Bowe in FA would help squelch that pain.
    I think Miami gets offensive line help in free agency and heads into the draft looking for skilled players on offense, pass rusher and help in the secondary. I'm not overwhelmed with the FA receivers being talked about and I don't expect this front office to pay big so we can most likely rule out Mike Wallace. We will find a servicable RT either later in the draft or in FA. At least that's my opinion. That would open it up to get Eifert, a burner like Austin or Wheaton in round 2 and pass rusher somewhere in the early mix.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Lot of interesting WR's and CB's. Already the best looking WR and CB groups the Senior Bowl has had in a few years.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    senior bowl is looking nice. Though I still can't understand the love some people have for Mike Glennon. I hear people saying he'll be a first round pick. If somebody takes him in round 1 I will laugh at them for a long time
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    hot dog...i like that...i think wheatons someone who is gonna rise...that kid can get separation in his routes...and i can't wait to see banks in that setting...

Banks is going to slide a little in the draft. I don't see any way it doesn't happen. He's been burnt to a crisp this season. I've already talked about how bad he performed against Moncrief in the Egg Bowl, to the point they had to take him off Moncrief and try their hand with Slay covering him... but he also let himself get burned for a 25 yard TD by Jamal Mosley in straight man coverage on a simple vertical route... he's a tight end. That's the 2nd tight end that's burned him for a TD... Michael Williams got him in the Alabama game.

Not as physical as you'd like to see. I think he needs to run a solid time to stabilize his stock some and help him.

I'd be surprised at this point if he goes in the 1st round unless it's late. I'd have him more in the 2nd round area at this point.

Still a good player who's capable of making plays, but he's obviously not an elite player. A good value player with significant experience in the 35-50 range is what I think ideally fits him.
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anthony Barr is a hell of a talent. Just a physically superior monster with dynamite in his boots. He's going to go high if he comes out, even with his lack of experience on defense.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Banks is going to slide a little in the draft. I don't see any way it doesn't happen. He's been burnt to a crisp this season. I've already talked about how bad he performed against Moncrief in the Egg Bowl, to the point they had to take him off Moncrief and try their hand with Slay covering him... but he also let himself get burned for a 25 yard TD by Jamal Mosley in straight man coverage on a simple vertical route... he's a tight end. That's the 2nd tight end that's burned him for a TD... Michael Williams got him in the Alabama game.

Not as physical as you'd like to see. I think he needs to run a solid time to stabilize his stock some and help him.

I'd be surprised at this point if he goes in the 1st round unless it's late. I'd have him more in the 2nd round area at this point.

Still a good player who's capable of making plays, but he's obviously not an elite player. A good value player with significant experience in the 35-50 range is what I think ideally fits him.
    It would be interesting to see if that happens. The word I'm getting right now is that he's being graded highly, but maybe that's just unreliable. I'm not in love with any corner in this draft really but as I've said before the closest to that would be Dee Milliner. After that Desmond Trufant and Terry Hawthorne have been the guys I consistently look toward. Beyond that...we've talked about Hayden if he ever plays football again.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Anthony Barr is a hell of a talent. Just a physically superior monster with dynamite in his boots. He's going to go high if he comes out, even with his lack of experience on defense.

He absolutely is. One of the main differences between the SEC and the Pac-12 is where they tend to put their best athletes. SEC coaches like to try 'em on defense first in a lot of cases, then move to the offensive side of the ball if it's not a fit. It's the opposite in the Pac-12.

The fact that this kid wasted away for 2 years at the RB position due to Neuheisel trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is inexplicable. I don't know of any top notch SEC coach that wouldn't have had Barr playing linebacker from the moment he stepped on campus. A 6'4", 235 pound athlete like that is going straight from the parking lot to defense around here. Jim Mora being a defensive coach by trade, didn't take long to figure it out.

Neuheisel is just a terrible coach, and even more clueless when it comes to college football. I figured that out watching him try to force feed that pistol offense when he didn't have the personnel to run it. Now that he's fired and out of a job, we get to listen to him on the radio whine about the SEC and listen to all of his pro-Pac-12 propaganda.

Same for Keenan Allen who was a Bama commit all the way up to the last minute. He was being recruited as a safety to Bama. He had a handler Saban refused to deal with. We tend to turn down every player who has a handler or demands a "twofer".

Which is why Tedford just got fired at Cal. He let Keenan Allen strap him with an abomination at the QB position as part of the Allen package deal. Matter of fact, the word I hear from one of the parents of a Cal player is that Allen refused to workout, made it known in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't play with any other quarterback besides Maynard, and generally did whatever he wanted.

I doubt any of that will ever make it to the pen of a journalist or sportswriter... or draftnik.. but it's something that's likely to affect the way teams view Allen and his ability to be coached when they begin their due diligence into what type of kid he is.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Crystal River, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He absolutely is. One of the main differences between the SEC and the Pac-12 is where they tend to put their best athletes. SEC coaches like to try 'em on defense first in a lot of cases, then move to the offensive side of the ball if it's not a fit. It's the opposite in the Pac-12.

The fact that this kid wasted away for 2 years at the RB position due to Neuheisel trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is inexplicable. I don't know of any top notch SEC coach that wouldn't have had Barr playing linebacker from the moment he stepped on campus. A 6'4", 235 pound athlete like that is going straight from the parking lot to defense around here. Jim Mora being a defensive coach by trade, didn't take long to figure it out.

Neuheisel is just a terrible coach, and even more clueless when it comes to college football. I figured that out watching him try to force feed that pistol offense when he didn't have the personnel to run it. Now that he's fired and out of a job, we get to listen to him on the radio whine about the SEC and listen to all of his pro-Pac-12 propaganda.

Same for Keenan Allen who was a Bama commit all the way up to the last minute. He was being recruited as a safety to Bama. He had a handler Saban refused to deal with. We tend to turn down every player who has a handler or demands a "twofer".

Which is why Tedford just got fired at Cal. He let Keenan Allen strap him with an abomination at the QB position as part of the Allen package deal. Matter of fact, the word I hear from one of the parents of a Cal player is that Allen refused to workout, made it known in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't play with any other quarterback besides Maynard, and generally did whatever he wanted.

I doubt any of that will ever make it to the pen of a journalist or sportswriter... or draftnik.. but it's something that's likely to affect the way teams view Allen and his ability to be coached when they begin their due diligence into what type of kid he is.
    All of this being duly noted Slimm, in a draft that is not super heavy at the top for WR skill guys, but actually pretty deep in the middle, would you pull the trigger on Allen were he available in the 1st? I think Allen benefits from the lack of top end talent in this years draft. Were he to be in a class like 2011 with Green/Jones, or 2014 with Lee/Watkins, I am not sure he would be a top 20 pick. I love the guy, and feel he would make a great weapon in this offense, but I am not sure I wouldn't rather get a more elite CB or pass rusher in round 1, and then go to the pretty deep well at WR starting on day 2.

Would our moves in FA prior to draft weekend dictate your moves at WR? Say we get Mike Wallace, do you want to pair him with a big bodied guy like Allen? Or if we were to get Bowe, go with a shiftier guy like Stedman Bailey?

Myself personally, I want a pairing of Mike Wallace and Stedman Bailey. One of the things that really made Bailey even more dynamic and deadly was having Tavon Austin and his explosive skills paired with him. If we have a Mike Wallace across from Bailey, it opens up so much more as to what Bailey can do in the short/intermediate game. Imagine if a team like the Bears pulled the trigger on Bailey, with Jeffrey and Marshall on the outside, he would do DAMAGE.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Crystal River, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Barr is going to be interesting come draft time. Teams tend to really try and knock guys who are raw, or haven't performed consistently at a spot for more than 1 year. JPP comes to mind, oozing with talent, but hardly refined. The fact that Barr looked as natural, and at times dominant, without years of coaching and technique work has to be very inviting to a lot of people. And it isn't just the impact he will have right away, a few years in an NFL strength and conditioning program, plus all the refining of the nuiances of the position lead me to believe this guy's ceiling is very, very high.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Crystal River, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    senior bowl is looking nice. Though I still can't understand the love some people have for Mike Glennon. I hear people saying he'll be a first round pick. If somebody takes him in round 1 I will laugh at them for a long time

I cannot for the life of me fathom Glennon going in round 1. Hell, I don't even know if top 64 is even something I can imagine. I have never been impressed with him, not to the point where I would feel comfortable him being my main horse in the stable for grooming. And if you're taking him as high as many say he may go, he has to be the main horse. I really only can see him succeeding in a vertical passing system, something that the Norv Turner's of the world run. I don't see him as a hit the 5th step, ball gone in rhythm kinda guy. Not a fan of his footwork, too many balls sailing high or at the feet of the defender. Todd McShay started hyping him about a month ago, and I couldn't believe my ears. I have seen some of the postings you are referring to about going high, and that is insanity. Pray the Jets or Bills are buying his hype, because we would eat him for lunch. Hell, Ryan Mallett went in the 3rd round, no way Glennon goes top 64. No way.
    Quote Quote