Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Monsanto & Genetically Modified Organisms

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Monsanto & Genetically Modified Organisms

In a study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences, analyzing the effects of genetically modified foods on mammalian health, researchers found that agricultural giant Monsanto's GM corn is linked to organ damage in rats.

According to the study, which was summarized by Rady Ananda at Food Freedom, "Three varieties of Monsanto's GM corn - Mon 863, insecticide-producing Mon 810, and Roundup® herbicide-absorbing NK 603 - were approved for consumption by US, European and several other national food safety authorities."

Monsanto gathered its own crude statistical data after conducting a 90-day study, even though chronic problems can rarely be found after 90 days, and concluded that the corn was safe for consumption. The stamp of approval may have been premature, however.

In the conclusion of the IJBS study, researchers wrote:

"Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others. We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity....These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_420365.html

Following an explosive French study suggesting a link between Monsanto’s controversial genetically engineered corn and cancer, Russian authorities have temporarily suspended all imports and use of the biotech GMO product until further safety testing can be performed. Officials worldwide are reportedly investigating the matter as well.

Russia’s consumer-protection agency, known as Rospotrebnadzor, announced the decision last week, saying it had ordered the country’s Institute of Nutrition to investigate the recent French university study. The regulatory agency has also reportedly asked the European Union for its views as the European Food Safety Authority vowed to review the research.
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-...ds-on-monsanto

Kucinich Calls Out Monsanto
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If there is a company more evil than Monsanto, I've yet to see it. These guys are the epitome of what's wrong with big corporations. From bullying and suing any competition until they are no longer a threat to deliberately going around FDA standards, they are simply the worst. I can't stand these people...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    If there is a company more evil than Monsanto, I've yet to see it. These guys are the epitome of what's wrong with big corporations. From bullying and suing any competition until they are no longer a threat to deliberately going around FDA standards, they are simply the worst. I can't stand these people...
    You should google the stories of the farmers in India killing themselves by the thousands because of Monsanto.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's pretty bad when I'm rooting for Dupont in court against them. Monsanto should be broken up and discarded by the government. Nothing good comes from this company and it pisses me off that our justice system would rule in favor of a company patenting genetics.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    It's pretty bad when I'm rooting for Dupont in court against them. Monsanto should be broken up and discarded by the government. Nothing good comes from this company and it pisses me off that our justice system would rule in favor of a company patenting genetics.
    In the 90s, they were accused of planting their GMO seeds in the fields of farmers in the midwest. No one could prove it, but what was known was that their seeds ended up in the entire midwest's crops, so Monsanto sued them and now gets something like 40% of their profits. Disgusting...
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In the 90s, they were accused of planting their GMO seeds in the fields of farmers in the midwest. No one could prove it, but what was known was that their seeds ended up in the entire midwest's crops, so Monsanto sued them and now gets something like 40% of their profits. Disgusting...
    Oh I know they claimed the wind did it. There really is a simple fix and I'd back the farmers if they did it, they would have to unionize and tell Monsanto we are not planting your corn or soy. Without the US governments subsidization they would not be able to sell at the price that they currently do allowing countries like Mexico back into the market. As part of the unionization I'd immediately sue Monsanto for loss of welfare and the right to open and fair crops.

I generally think unions at some point hinder job growth but in the case of the lowly farmers it is desperately needed to control the demanding arm of the small group of industrial giants laying rape to our farmland.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Oh I know they claimed the wind did it. There really is a simple fix and I'd back the farmers if they did it, they would have to unionize and tell Monsanto we are not planting your corn or soy. Without the US governments subsidization they would not be able to sell at the price that they currently do allowing countries like Mexico back into the market. As part of the unionization I'd immediately sue Monsanto for loss of welfare and the right to open and fair crops.

I generally think unions at some point hinder job growth but in the case of the lowly farmers it is desperately needed to control the demanding arm of the small group of industrial giants laying rape to our farmland.
    Unless they bought off the union as well.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Conducting From the Grave: The Rise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQ2aKgXafw
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There was a ride at disney world in orlando sponsored by monsanto. I would not be surprised to learn that everyone that rose it were some sort of guinea pigs.
    Speaking of disney, the food they serve there all tastes the same...probably provided by...monsanto
    Quote Quote