Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Even if Long walks, we BETTER not take a LT in the first round

Hybrid View

  1. -1
    Danny's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2003
    Posts:
    10,896
    vCash:
    12765
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

    WTF Even if Long walks, we BETTER not take a LT in the first round

    I know this doesn't matter but Walter has the Dolphins taking a LT in round one and then a DT in round 2. I will go insane if Ireland does that. Martin can stay at LT and they can get a RT in free agency or draft one in round 3. As far as DT, if we keep Starks which I think we must then there's no need to draft one, specially in the 2nd round. This is what scares me about keeping Ireland. He's bound to do something like that.

    Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Hayden Fox's Avatar
    At the end of the day...

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    23,191
    vCash:
    57407
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Agreed. However, you still need to have an effective offensive line.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    islandah's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2004
    Posts:
    1,908
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    Agreed. However, you still need to have an effective offensive line.
    Yes, but we seem to have proven that throwing high draft picks at it is at best an ineffecient way to end up with a mediocre line. Vernon Carey -1st round, Jake Long - #1 pick of first round, Pouncey - 1st round, Jerry - 3rd round. With that use of resources, it should be the most dominant line in the nfl.
    What skill players could we have had with 3 1sts, and a 3rd?
    Insert witty thought-provoking saying here.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    CANDolphan's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2006
    Posts:
    2,937
    vCash:
    1469
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by islandah View Post
    Yes, but we seem to have proven that throwing high draft picks at it is at best an ineffecient way to end up with a mediocre line. Vernon Carey -1st round, Jake Long - #1 pick of first round, Pouncey - 1st round, Jerry - 3rd round. With that use of resources, it should be the most dominant line in the nfl.
    What skill players could we have had with 3 1sts, and a 3rd?
    That's over a long stretch of time though. Carey was 2003, Long was 08, Jerry 2009, Pouncey 2011
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,433
    vCash:
    27167
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    That's over a long stretch of time though. Carey was 2003, Long was 08, Jerry 2009, Pouncey 2011
    Carey is the only one in there that shouldn't be included, but Martin should be. Currently, 4 of our starting linemen (at least when Long is healthy) are high round picks. The payoff? A mediocre line, at best and a serious lack of playmakers.





    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    CANDolphan's Avatar
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2006
    Posts:
    2,937
    vCash:
    1469
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Carey is the only one in there that shouldn't be included, but Martin should be. Currently, 4 of our starting linemen (at least when Long is healthy) are high round picks. The payoff? A mediocre line, at best and a serious lack of playmakers.
    I agree with what you're saying in principle but 1) it's too early to declare certain picks a bust. Martin is being shifted around, he was brought in KNOWING that his play at RT would be a work in progress, and we certainly hit a homerun with Pouncey.

    Jake Long was playing, up until this year, like a top 10 tackle every season, sometimes looking downright dominant throughout a stretch of 6-7 games. Sadly, that Jake is injured and broken. I can't blame anyone for that.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Seasoned Veteran

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2009
    Posts:
    931
    vCash:
    1112
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The 49ers have 3 first round picks playing on their OL and it doesn't seem to have done their offense any harm (2nd in the league in yards per play). I think that most people would agree their QB(s) is average at best, so in a QB league how can they have one of the best offenses ? The answer - it's because they are the best blocking team in the NFL
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    21,433
    vCash:
    27167
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Phibes View Post
    The 49ers have 3 first round picks playing on their OL and it doesn't seem to have done their offense any harm (2nd in the league in yards per play). I think that most people would agree their QB(s) is average at best, so in a QB league how can they have one of the best offenses ? The answer - it's because they are the best blocking team in the NFL
    They have one of the best offenses in the league (well, upper half ranked offense anyways) because of coaching, Frank Gore, and a defense that gives them tons of opportunities. Further, they had the luxury of addressing both offensive line and playmakers thanks to a good number of draft picks (2 first rounders in 2006, 2007, and 2010); grabbing Vernon Davis, Patrick Wilis, Crabtree, Aldon Smith, and AJ Jenkins all during that same time frame. If we could do that, I would have no problem with high picks used on cornfed.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    Bumpus's Avatar
    Are you gonna drink that?

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2003
    Posts:
    21,334
    vCash:
    12012
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    A-****ING-MEN.

    seriously.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1





    "The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2004
    Posts:
    13,832
    vCash:
    13403
    Loc:
    Boca Raton
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Draft a whole bunch of offensive skill players...

    I've had enough of our mediocrity on that side of the ball.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Elvis Dumervil if Jake Long walks
    By Danny6813 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM
  2. Long for a first round pick
    By ROADRUNNER in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM
  3. 2nd round OT (Pro-Jake Long)
    By i got da juice in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 05:42 PM
  4. So Long 1st round
    By Dolfan54 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2002, 01:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •